Unit 55 mule deer vs 66 or 67 for 3rd season

tstrain

Hello all just looking for a little recommendation I have 15 non-resident points and was looking to put in this year with my uncle who has 15points as well for 3rd season... I was narrowing my areas down to the Gunnison basin unit 55 66 or 67 I believe unit 66 takes more points to draw is it a better unit than 55 … My dad and other uncle drew unit 55 in 2014 and it was a really tough hunt... They didn't find many bucks that year and the ones they did see were younger 2-3 year old... There wasn't much snow that year as well... Thanks for the feed back

You don’t have enough points to draw 66/3rd.
I haven’t hunted either of those other two units but I’ve heard 55 is hurting so your best bet may be 67/3rd.

Everything is tough right now, nothing in the Gunnison is or has been truly “good” for the last 12 years.... if I were me I’d probably hunt 67 third

Thank yall for the reply... Is 67 a little better unit or doesn't get hit as hard with snow coloradoboy and therefore the mature buck die off ain't as bad...

Thank yall for the reply... Is 67 a little better unit or doesn't get hit as hard with snow coloradoboy and therefore the mature buck die off ain't as bad...
All the Gunnison basin units have seen their fair share of tough winters over the past decade or so. 67s numbers are better at this point and I’ve always like hunting the units on the south side of hwy 50. 55 has always had the genetics to throw giants and it still has them. But it can be down right difficult to turn them up. 55 has seen the largest impact of the past couple winters. I believe in 2018 we saw 75 percent or something tag cuts in 55 and 50ish in 54. But now CPW thinks doe tags make good sense so who the hell knows what the management strategy is now days...

Yes sir Coloradoboy i'm not sure at all why management has issued doe tags that is crazy to me... I don't know what the goal is... I seen that they will be testing for CWD... I'm trying to decide if I should hold off one more year with the season being pushed back next year it is a tough decision...

I was in the same boat as you last year with 15 nonresident points. I decided I didn’t want to wait any longer so I applied for and drew 551 4th season 2019.
I had a good time and I was successful on a nice buck. I scouted the six days prior to my season opener and did locate some deer and decided to take my buck on opening day. I didn’t see the quality of bucks I was hoping for though.
There had been a snowstorm before third season but after that the weather was clear and mild and hunting conditions were tough. Maybe things would have been better if a storm had hit just before the beginning of the 4th season.
Was it worth 15 points? I don’t know but I did have an enjoyable experience and was able to spend some quality time in the Gunnison basin.
Since the hunting conditions were unfavorable for most of 3rd and and all of 4th season last year there are likely some pretty good bucks that made it through into 2020.
I’m pretty sure you won’t have enough points to draw 66/3.
As far as the other two units you mentioned I haven’t hunted them so I can’t speak from personal experience. I have heard some positive things about unit 67 so maybe 67 3rd would be your best bet.
A great guy to try and get in contact with is Tomichi. He has a lot of experience in the Gunnison area and was a huge help to me last year. Try sending him a PM.
You can also send me a PM if you want to chat in more detail.

I was in the same boat as you last year with 15 nonresident points. I decided I didn’t want to wait any longer so I applied for and drew 551 4th season 2019.
I had a good time and I was successful on a nice buck. I scouted the six days prior to my season opener and did locate some deer and decided to take my buck on opening day. I didn’t see the quality of bucks I was hoping for though.
There had been a snowstorm before third season but after that the weather was clear and mild and hunting conditions were tough. Maybe things would have been better if a storm had hit just before the beginning of the 4th season.
Was it worth 15 points? I don’t know but I did have an enjoyable experience and was able to spend some quality time in the Gunnison basin.
Since the hunting conditions were unfavorable for most of 3rd and and all of 4th season last year there are likely some pretty good bucks that made it through into 2020.
As far as the other two units you mentioned I haven’t hunted them so I can’t speak from personal experience. I have heard some positive things about unit 67 so maybe 67 3rd would be your best bet.
A great guy to try and get in contact with is Tomichi. He has a lot of experience in the Gunnison area and was a huge help to me last year. Try sending him a PM.
Buckhorn, I'd really like to hear more about your 551 hunt if you're willing to share. And maybe a picture of your buck! I'm thinking of the same hunt in 2021. I've talked with a couple basin outfitters and I'm just trying to learn a lot before burning the points. I'll buy an LO tag this year hopefully and will be scouting 551 this fall to check it out. You can PM me, but I've never done that before so not sure how it works haha!

Buckhorn- I’m a resident with 12 points for deer, thinking about ‘21- like everyone else ! I see Tomichi helped you out. I’ve never spoken to him but am interested in doing so. My thought is 67 4 th season with 12 points may come up short, with later dates 3 rd season may be a better choice. ?Could you please give me a call or Text about contacting Tomichi ? And about your experiences there. I’m not even sure 66 or 67 is worth all the points - getting lots of negative reports here on MM. I’d appreciate it very much ! ? Thanks !
Jerry Gold In Windsor, Co
EM : [email protected]
Cell/Text: 307-772-1623

Hi Buckhorn,
Any pics of your buck via 551 post it up. I would also like to hear about your experience there as I'm in same boat... considering this unit too for next year. Would like to hear about your experience.

Thanks

Well I'm back on here again my uncle and I didn't draw 67 last year for 3rd season with 15 points.... I don't know if we will have enough this year with the point creep... Any recommendations??? Was hoping to cash in and draw a pretty good hunt...
Thanks
Tyson

Hi Buckhorn,
Any pics of your buck via 551 post it up. I would also like to hear about your experience there as I'm in same boat... considering this unit too for next year. Would like to hear about your experience.

Thanks
My experience was 2019 4th season 551.
It was good but not great.
2019 was Probably was the worst year for hunting in recent history everywhere in the Gunnison basin.
With 15 or less nonresident points it’s still a good option for a later season hunt.
Anyone interested can probably search the archives for Colorado fourth season and see some pictures of my 2019 551 buck.

Thomas how many points do you think it will take 18 or 19 this year??? What are some decent units that would take 16 points in your opinion??

Thomas how many points do you think it will take 18 or 19 this year??? What are some decent units that would take 16 points in your opinion??
To me I’d do 55 third season. 16% drew out at 16 pts for 67 last yr. I’d anticipate it taking like u say around 18 or 19 but def more than 16

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom