Unit 551

sniper14

How would you rate the terrain in unit 551. TagHub has it rated a 3/5 but I find sometimes they are way off. I'll be hunting with my dad 75 years young and mom said to bring him home in 1 piece.

There are low lands without many animals and steep lands with some animals. The animals were mostly in the trees on steep slopes. It would not be my first choice unless your dad gets around well.

I hunted it a couple years ago, the terrain varies and is managable but the bigger impact was the elevation. I am used to hunting 5-7K but that constant 9-10K has an impact.

How would you rate the terrain in unit 551. TagHub has it rated a 3/5 but I find sometimes they are way off. I'll be hunting with my dad 75 years young and mom said to bring him home in 1 piece.
Depending on what your looking for ( assuming 2nd or 2rd season ) you can road it fairly effectively. Or do short walks ( few hundred yards) to glassing points, reality is that is how 80 percent of people hunt no matter their physical condition anyway depending on where the deer are because it is effective.

I would rate the terrain in 551 as Relatively easy. When I hunted it fourth season, most of the deer were in the middle elevation range, with Aspen and evergreens mixed in partly open hillsides. An ATV or a smaller four-wheel-drive like a Toyota or Jeep would be great.
I didn’t see any Elk.

Last edited:
I’m considering returning there for late season elk since I burned my points in 2022. Had a 4th season deer hunt there around 2006 and walked up on 3 different decent bulls while deer hunting. I saw the late elk only takes a couple points.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom