Unit 57 Antelope Success

ABQHUNTER

We just made it back from Wyoming! It took us 9 non resident points to draw the tags, but it was worth it! We couldn't believe how many bucks we saw everyday! We had to laugh, it wore us out having to stop every 10-20 minutes to glass and size up the next buck! My buck grossed 81 1/8 and my buddies buck grossed 75 1/8. Thanks Wyoming!

9570dscn0797.jpg

5039dscn0811.jpg

Congratulations. Those are 2 great bucks. I'm glad you had fun - although its hard not to on an Antelope hunt !

Good times out there ain't it. I hunted 58 the first year it went to points, and still waiting my turn for a second round.

60 days ended yesterday and I just got my antelope scored for Boone & Crockett. Whew! He snuck into the Awards at 80 0/8 net. I'm really happy with him! Congrats to everyone on their trophies this year! Happy Thanksgiving!

Hats off ABQ from a NM neighbor,I'm sitting at Max pts and looking at 57 or 58. Leaning towards 58 as I'm hoping for an elk 124 tag and will use the goat trip to extend for elk scouting trip. Love to chat about your trip. Pm me sometime. I live in the east Mtns . Congrats on 80+ club ?

With the season being over, I've been hearing stories about 57 producing some big bucks this past season. More so than anywhere else. It was probably the best area in central and south central Wyoming this past year in terms of quality and quantity. If you're in the points game, would definitely be looking at 57 come next season. I'll probably throw my app that direction come next spring...

We had a great hunt in unit 57 . My huntin partner Jed( ABQHUNTER )shot his buck the first day. We glassed him up and thought he was pretty good and thought we should take him Jed made a great shot at 480 yards . We had planned to hunt 9 days and I don't know how many antelope we glassed up but it was around a 1000 . I shot my buck on the 6th day . We ended up shooting the 2 biggest bucks we saw but we only covered about a quarter of the unit . Great hunt in an awesome unit . Thanks Wyoming .

9 points for an 80" and 75" buck in 57 - The 80" official buck scored buck was worth it - great job. Anyone that says they killed an 80" buck - get it scored and prove it cuz they are rare! Most all buck pics that are posted here or any hunting site are sub 80" - it takes a big antelope to go 80" official. It's the most often reported animal out there to score at or over the minimum awards book number - go ahead and get all those big boys scored - guarantee, hardly any score over 80".

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-16 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]There are probably more than you might think. These two were taken by my buddy who lives in Sheridan in 2014 and 2015 and were living less than 2 miles from each other. The one in 2014 was officially scored in Cody by a B&C scorer after the 60 day drying period and went 84 4/8". The one least year is smaller, but rough scored the day he was shot was close to 82". I don't know whether John will have it scored officially or not, but it should make the yearly Awards minimum of 80".

5046wyoming2014097.jpg

9250p1020467.jpg

Those are great bucks...there were 13 bucks officially scored/entered via B&C over 80" in the state of WY in 2015. All I'm saying is that lots of people on this and other websites claim they killed an 80" buck - it's tough to break 80" as evidenced by the 13 last year in all of WY (how many tags for bucks are there statewide?)

Only 13 entered in 2015. Maybe some people don't ever get them officially scored or even ever measure them. I'm sure there was more than 13 80" bucks killed in Wyoming in 2015. I do agree though that it takes a big antelope to break 80".

>Not sure how much BC means.
> A friend has shot
>several low & mid 80's
>net bucks. He hasn't
>entered any of them.

My guess is that a lot more aren't entered than are. The one in 2014 that made book wasn't entered and two others that were shot by friends in that same unit within the last five years also weren't entered.

Being a B&C official measurer I know one thing for sure, the reason most " big " animals don't get entered in the book is because they don't make the book.

Of course there are lots of animals that don't ever get an official score that would book. but for the most part they know they won't book and they don't want to ruin a great story.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Being a B&C official measurer I
>know one thing for sure,
>the reason most " big
>" animals don't get
>entered in the book is
>because they don't make the
>book.
>
>Of course there are lots of
>animals that don't ever get
>an official score that would
>book. but for
>the most part they know
>they won't book and they
>don't want to ruin a
>great story.
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

I guess I would have to argue with that first comment of yours. Yes, a lot of animals aren't entered anywhere because of the way the "Books" have ruined hunting in many respects and more and more people are seeing that. IMHO the bulk of the people that enter animals are looking for self gratification, rather than honoring the animal. I'd bet that very few would be entered if only the animal was put in the book and lacked the name of the person who shot it. I didn't look at the name of the B&C scorer up in Cody that did the final measurement for the buck John shot in 2014 that I posted here, but John has the official paperwork that was sent to him with the B&C guy's name and the date he scored it.

Hunters who know some history know organizations like B&C are the reason we have game to hunt. to boycott the book is childish . if you just don't care then fair enough.

Most people like myself feel honored to harvest an animal of book quality. and that certificate framed next to the mount looks very nice in my opinion.

It honors the animal and TR's legacy of sound wildlife and habitat management.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I know of a Mule deer buck that is 36 wide and 30 tall, shot in Idaho in the 70's. The man that shot it does not want the fame of killing the biggest typical in Idaho. I think his kids will put it in the book when he is gone. For some it is just not their cup of tea.

DZ

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-16 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]>Hunters who know some history know
>organizations like B&C are the
>reason we have game to
>hunt. to boycott
>the book is childish .
> if you just don't
>care then fair enough.
>
>Most people like myself feel honored
>to harvest an animal of
>book quality. and that certificate
>framed next to the mount
>looks very nice in my
>opinion.
>
>It honors the animal and TR's
>legacy of sound wildlife and
>habitat management.

I, and most other people that are true hunters, know all about the history of B&C and other similar organizations. The comment about not placing an animal in the BOOK using the word "boycott" is being childish is actually not factual since there is no ongoing attempt by any group to boycott anything. It's just an individual decision that most make to not enter it. As I stated earlier, honoring the animal the way things were originally intended has really gone by the wayside the last couple decades and now in a way it's more getting your name in the BOOK, rather than honoring the animal in there. Since you're a B&C scorer it's obvious you have a vested interest in speaking highly of the organization and that's fine. IMHO most people can take an animal of exceptional size and place it on their wall without having to have a fancy framed B&C certificate saying "look at me" when just the sight of the animal should be more than enough. IMHO many of the younger generation have lost sight of what hunting is all about and now everywhere you go if you take a decent animal the first question asked is will it or did it "make Book".

Actually the book was never intended to honor the animal or the hunter at all. it was intended to preserve records for future generations of species even TR assumed would be extinct by now.

The fact we're using it for the purposes we are today is one of the greatest conservation success stories in the world and I'm sure TR would be delighted. and hunters can take all the credit, without our efforts and dollars it would not have turned out as it has.

Some of my most prized animals didn't make the book. and if a hunter choses not to enter one that makes book that's fine by everyone. I'm just saying the reason most animals don't get entered is because they don't qualify that's all.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

"the reason most animals don't get entered is because they
don't qualify"

Here's yer sign...

Sorry, couldn't help it.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>Actually the book was never intended
>to honor the animal or
>the hunter at all.
>it was intended to preserve
>records for future generations of
>species even TR assumed would
>be extinct by now.
>
>The fact we're using it for
>the purposes we are today
>is one of the greatest
>conservation success stories in the
>world and I'm sure TR
>would be delighted. and
>hunters can take all the
>credit, without our efforts and
>dollars it would not have
>turned out as it has.
>
>
>
>Some of my most prized animals
>didn't make the book.
>and if a hunter choses
>not to enter one that
>makes book that's fine by
>everyone. I'm just saying
>the reason most animals don't
>get entered is because they
>don't qualify that's all.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

Nice try 440, but...

IMO if TR knew what record books and all the "cheating" and unethical behavior surrounding "getting one in the books" has caused, he would be rolling over in his grave!

Just curious DZ, how was the 30 inch tall mule deer measured? I would love to see a mule deer with 30 inch tall rack, measured vertically from the skull base. If measuring outside the curvature of the antlers, ok. Anything above 24 tall (vertical from base) is friggin huge. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-16 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]>Nice try 440, but...
>
>IMO if TR knew what record
>books and all the "cheating"
>and unethical behavior surrounding "getting
>one in the books" has
>caused, he would be rolling
>over in his grave!

+1 Jeff! Well stated! PS: I didn't realize this is the username 440 is going by now.

Lots of truth in TG's last couple of posts. One of my best buddies is an official B&C scorer. He hurts people's feelings a lot. LOL. So I can see what 440 is saying, also.

Here in Wyoming, there are many, many animals that would qualify for the book that never get entered. Not because they wouldn't make it, but because folks here just genuinely don't give a ff whether or not they gain the notoriety of having their name published. I'll go a step further. Many of us don't enter a critter because we don't want additional publicity for Wyoming.

I can assure you there were well more than 13 pronghorn over 80" killed in Wyoming last year.

I don't remember how he said it was measured. I do know it is the biggest set of mule deer antlers I have ever seen. I did hold a yard stick up to it to see that it is 36 inches wide. That was 15 years ago.

DZ

It is not the book's fault people break the law or the fair chase rules. B&C requires fair chase. and advocates fair chase, more than any other hunting organization.

I get very few trophies to score that are from people seeking fame and fortune. none actually. they just have an animal they're proud of and wish to verify it's quality. most that qualify get entered, some don't. some people never get them scored at all . it's all good.

It's funny how many people who never cared about score , or ever wanted to enter an animal come around when they get one that will book. happens all the time.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>
>It's funny how many people who
>never cared about score ,
>or ever wanted to enter
>an animal come around when
>they get one that will
>book. >

The truth hurts.

I think some people actually do get them scored just to know the actual score and never enter them. My group of archery elk hunting buddies has killed at least 10 bulls that would qualify for pope and young. Every one of them was scored by a official measurer and not one entered into the book. One thing that annoys me about Boone and crockets web site is their lack of pics in the trophy watch. It would be nice to see what giant animals we see floating around on the www ended up scoring from year to year.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-16 AT 10:13AM (MST)[p]Interesting conversation on inches that morphed out of the original post on unit 57 antelope!
My son killed a book buck (85") in that region in 2011. We almost passed him up because he didn't look that long or impressive and we were after trophies. It wasn't until we saw his body next to another buck that we realized he was much bigger than all the rest. His big mellon made his massive horns look much smaller than they were.

Mass is king when scoring antelope (as I am sure TOGWOTEE will attest) and there are probably a number of stubby bucks that don't get scored every year because of that. Also plenty of "prairie goat" hunters are much more recreational nimrods than serious trophy geeks! IMO
One thing is clear to me. You usually have to look over HUNDREDS of antelope bucks to find one that goes 80"s. Even in good units. They are rare indeed.

"Also plenty of "prairie goat" hunters are much more recreational nimrods than serious trophy geeks! IMO"
LBH,
I agree I have hunted many years but have only been Antelope hunting twice and they are by far the hardest animal to judge/score in the field. I think you would have to spend a lot of time looking at them to get good at it.

Mass measurements are definitely the biggy since there are 8 compared to just 2 cutter and 2 length measurements. I agree that it takes a lot of looking and time studying many animals to pick out one from a bunch that might score well, unless it's one of those Jack O'Connor animals that doesn't take any second looks before the trigger is squeezed. You also need to get looks from several different angles to have a good idea at what you're looking at.

Servehim - you might have more up-to-date info; but I did go with a friend on the elk hunt in 2011. We had lots of time and she was being very selective. Back then, it seemed most of the elk in 124 would actually be in antelope area 57, not 58. Awesome hunt, I hope you get that elk tag and either of those antelope areas!

Very nice pronghorn. and the certificate in the background is a nice edition.

With any luck ( and max points ) I'll be in 57 this year myself.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks guys! I posted twice on accident! My good friend Carl Chavez is my taxidermist! He's awesome! He owns Mountain Legends Taxidermy in Belen, NM. The picture doesn't do it justice ?

Congratulations....someone did a great taxidermy job on your antelope..looks great...should fire up hunting memories for quite awhile...hth

We just made it back from Wyoming! It took us 9 non resident points to draw the tags, but it was worth it! We couldn't believe how many bucks we saw everyday! We had to laugh, it wore us out having to stop every 10-20 minutes to glass and size up the next buck! My buck grossed 81 1/8 and my buddies buck grossed 75 1/8. Thanks Wyoming!

9570dscn0797.jpg

5039dscn0811.jpg

going to hunt 57 this year. staying in baggs where is a place to start looking any pointers would help.

I did draw a tag in 2016 and I took an 82 2/8 net billy about 5 miles from Baggs. I stayed in Rawlins but if I were to do it again I'd stay in Baggs.

You will have no shortage of hunting from Baggs half way up to the freeway then it gets more checkerboard. I didn't have anything but a map and a GPS but one of the land ownership GPS maps would be a great asset .

I don't know how the numbers are now but I hunted late in the season in '16 and I saw tons of goats and no other hunters. the no hunters thing was great but finding a good goat was no small task . you will have to wade through many hundreds of low to mid 70's ones to find a high 70's one. I have no idea how many I looked at but the one I shot was the only one I feel would top 80.

I would hunt earlier if I did it again. try to get a crack at the better ones before they're dead. it's a great hunt with lots of goats, lots of open land and great access. you'll have fun for sure.

wow thanks a bunch.... any chance you remember road names justs to get a starting point? thanks again so much. i have killed 2 80 inch bucks so i am very much looking for something in that quality. also i would be coming from idaho so iam staying at least 10 days and will be there on the opening. thanks
David.... iam book already at the cowboy inn which use to be called drifter inn. in baggs.

I really don't remember the names. I don't even remember marking on most of them. but there's lots of wells out there , nice access roads with spurs going here and there off them.

I took a quad but never unloaded it you can hunt a good share of it from a Corvette the roads were so good. but if you had lots of hunters getting away from those roads may be an advantage so you might consider it.

wow thanks a bunch.... any chance you remember road names justs to get a starting point? thanks again so much. i have killed 2 80 inch bucks so i am very much looking for something in that quality. also i would be coming from idaho so iam staying at least 10 days and will be there on the opening. thanks
David.... iam book already at the cowboy inn which use to be called drifter inn. in baggs.
A good place to start would be where the Wamsutter Dad Road meets highway 789. North from there. Check out 8 mile lake, duck lake, and the area west of Dad road off of Eureka Headquarters. The area on top towards Delaney rim is good as well. But you start getting into private property that way.

It doesn't really matter where you start your looking for a needle in a hay stack if you're going for a true 80" buck

It does not matter where to start. There are so many lopes and they are all over the unit. You just need to move and glass and move and glass. Any roads any locations. The only thing I wished I had done was get access or drawn to be on the Tipton area. Just one more spot to look for an 80" buck... But truth is a person can literally drive the paved highway from Baggs to Crescent Junction and see a ton of lopes... It is not not a challenging hunt at all, if you wanted to shoot any decent buck you could do so in the first 5 minutes of day light any day of the hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom