Unit 58 mule deer success

B

bigeasygator

Thought I'd share my first mule deer buck. Took him on the second day of the five day season. The country in that area of the state is gorgeous. I posted a more detailed story in the Hunt Adventure Challenge forum, but thought a picture here wouldn't hurt either (not sure how many people check out those stories anyway!). One 150-grain Barnes TSX from the .308 Sako A7 did the trick at 225 yards.
ProfileSuccess.jpg

GripandGrinZoomed.jpg

nicely done. Nothing wrong with him.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

man all these nice bucks getting killed is driving me a little crazy. i cant wait til saturday. great buck. congrats

>Very nice buck congrats... Is this
>a public hunt area?

Yeah, he was killed on public. There's not a lot of it in 58...really checkerboard and a lot of it out there is tough to access, but my buddy's did some research and found a nice little piece! We took three bucks out of there in less than two days (this one being the biggest).

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-12 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]My father hunted the unit some 20 years ago when it was a OTC hunt and the hunt were in mid to late November. His always talked about wanting to go back and hunt it again? But with just a few tags given we havent put in for it.

Yeah, they don't give out many tags. I think it was 30 resident and 2 non-resident for the season I hunted. Not many people put in either, relatively speaking. It is some gorgeous country and we're gonna try and make it an annual thing.

I know this post is 10 years old...

But I drew a unit 58 muzzle loader mule deer tag and was wondering if anyone could give me any guidance.

I am a brand new hunter. I've tagged along on one other hunt but this will be my first hunt where I am pulling the trigger.

Unit 58 looks tough with sooo much private land and I know hunters don't like to give away their secrets.

But since its a muzzleloader hunt and I am newbie, I figured I might as well ask and see if anyone has any tips for that unit or for muley hunt in general in northern NM.

Thanks a lot in advance!

James

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom