Unit 59 or 59a deer

hanes

I got the chance to ride into unit 59 and loved the country. I some elk but am curious about the deer hunting in the area. I am from poky and usually hunt more south. Really what I am asking is do these units merit scouting time, or are deer few and far. Any information is appreciated.

Coincidently I am heading there this weekend to check those units out. As a non-res, I am going off the hunt planner on the f&g site, which seems to be helpful. don't know how accurate that harvest and hunter number stats are, but it's a start. Will PM you when I get back and give you the low down on what I see. Guess I'm not much help, but hope I can learn more also. My son lives in IF, so it makes for an easy excuse to head there regular like!!!

I archery hunt that country every September for the last 10 years elk numbers are ok but the deer numbers are low had a rancher last year claim he had not seen a mature buck all year there are a few bucks but they are fewer every year
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

Both of those units have some of the best looking deer country in Idaho. I love being up there on the divide taking in the high sage desert with pine pockets and rim rock!

Back in the early 90's the area was much better for deer hunting. I have written the fish and game twice suggesting they close the unit from a general hunt and make it a limited entry for a few years. The quality may come back if the harvest is limited for a while. The area is very over hunted and knuckleheads drive ATV's all over every ridge and into some of the farthest canyons. a few years back we hiked into some remote canyons and got to our spot before first light, only to watch 3 ATV's come tearing up the ridge right as the sun came up.

With all that being said, I'm sure there are still some good bucks in there. Some of the areas have sagebrush 6 ft tall and the deer can hide very well. The deer move a lot in this area with the weather too and if some big storms hit the divide early in the season, the deer tend to move fast.

Come early camping spots can be hard to find!

That being said I do know of a buck killed last year that went over 200", shot from the seat of a pickup. So much for marchin 5 miles off the beaten path to all the so called purists. Biggest deer I've seen or heard of in these units in alot of years, who knows how he survived. Hope you enjoy all the company!

Thank you all for the reply's so far. Sounds like alot of the other general hunts (lots of people, lower deer #'s). I didn't realize there were so many atv trails, as we rode single track most of the way. I too am sick of busting my butt just to have someone break the law by hunting on their atv and ride all the way in to a spot. Now this is coming from a dirtbike rider so its not like I am anti atv's, more so those people without regard for the law and others. I figure I could pack into a camp spot and set up for a few nights. I could then leave my bike parked a base camp and hike some ridges from there. Hopefully into areas without any trails. Not the typical sleeping bag on my back while but not camping bs to try to bypass laws. Has anyone done something similar up there.

dang, sounds like maybe the hunt planner stats might be a little off. it lists 59A with really low hunter umbers, and fair success. oh well. maybe learn something this weekend.

Lmao on the low hunter numbers, now if you'd of said low deer numbers it would be funny if it wasn't true!!

Keep in mind a large population base within less than an hour with an unlimited either sex hunt for youth hunters. According to F&G it keeps deer numbers right where they want'em!

One things for sure- low deer numbers is a fact! Two days out there and only saw a set of tracks. Now, maybe i am blind, but two of us looking over thousands of acres, figure we oughta see a skinny doe or two.
Funny thing, it's a general deer hunt, but a limited elk tag, and we saw several elk, and lots of sign. Guess there are so few deer that the f&g figures they can't be whittled down much more, might as well let hunters chase them.
Pretty country, tho. Could sure spend some time there!!!

Thanks for the report Goldberg. I guess maybe I will focus elsewhere. I still think I am going to ride in there again.

Honestly it has produced one good buck for our group about every 5-6 years. Low hunter numbers is an understatement. Lots of out a staters are told by the fish and game this is where to go because of the easy access with vehicles and atvs. But Ive spent the last 20 years hunting there and am just getting to know the "away from the crowd" areas. PM me if you need more info

Fair success if you are into shooting 2 points. Deer don't have the chance to mature there, adults are resulting to 2 points for the meat.

>Honestly it has produced one good
>buck for our group about
>every 5-6 years. Low
>hunter numbers is an understatement.
> Lots of out a
>staters are told by the
>fish and game this is
>where to go because of
>the easy access with vehicles
>and atvs. But Ive spent
>the last 20 years hunting
>there and am just getting
>to know the "away from
>the crowd" areas. PM me
>if you need more info
>
BINGO!! We have a winner!! About the F&G, they have been stating this in every, where to go, eastman hunting magazine I've ever read, although thats been a few years!!!

How could it be remotely good with the access there is in these units, with unlimited otc hunts then late hunts on top of that, nice management strategy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom