Unit 61 3rd Season Deer

ironhead

I know there is a lot of doom and gloom for the Deer herd in unit 61. That being said could I get some PM's about areas to concentrate on. I have literally looked over every bit of info on the world wide web. I am looking for good glassing points and areas off the beaten path. I have a good idea where I would like to concentrate my search for a descent buck but, I am open to all thoughts on this unit.

That hunt could really be a grind. There are a few giants, but don’t expect to see a ton of Deer. Had I personally burned all those points, I probably would hire Dustin Garvey or Allout.

I lived in the area for several years, and I saw hundreds of Elk for every deer.

That being said, I think a lot of the deer will drop off toward Nucla by that time. Good luck, hope you shoot a giant.

That hunt could really be a grind. There are a few giants, but don’t expect to see a ton of Deer. Had I personally burned all those points, I probably would hire Dustin Garvey or Allout.

I lived in the area for several years, and I saw hundreds of Elk for every deer.

That being said, I think a lot of the deer will drop off toward Nucla by that time. Good luck, hope you shoot a giant.
I have talked with Jared and Dustin both. Dustin and I thought I would have more fun hunting the entire unit instead of their private ground. I don't have to kill a giant but I still want to make the most of it.
I am going into this hunt with the mindset that I wont see many Deer let alone good Bucks but, I will still hunt it hard and see what I can turn up. If thats nothing, its not the end of the world. Frustration is a normal thing when looking for mature Bucks. Thank you for your input.

I don’t know if you’re an Epic member, but if so, they’ll send you a list of people that have hunted it recently. That alone might be worth the $100.

That is a very good tag, especially with those dates..you will see good bucks..it’s never easy to find a 180 plus but you are in one of those units where it’s a real possibility. Like AZguy said..I’d kill for that tag.

My sons and I hunted that tag last year off the leftover list. Son #4 has some unfinished business after a blown stalk on a nice buck and an early departure due to schedule conflict.
It’s a fun hunt, but as noted we didn’t see tons of deer by any means. last year we got some good weather and the rut seemed to really kick off 11/11 iirc but pretty tough going before that. So this year your chances should be good.
Assuming we don’t pick up this tag again in the next few leftover cycles I should have some info for you if you’re interested. Yes we got the old two wheel drive sleigh stuck pretty good in that one pic :D

A55AF8A3-7599-4251-B179-6DFB3138F0D4.jpeg

16E02F08-AEEB-4D8A-8827-02CE94013553.jpeg

EC75589E-7DE3-4242-B431-863B81625637.jpeg

69CCDA34-747F-49B4-A0C6-A6DE3DCD6B97.jpeg

forgot to add the funniest part of the trip, we hadn’t been in unit an hour and made a wrong turn into some guys private road that sure looked like a county road, and he comes out half drunk and apoplectic threatening to trespass us. We settle him down but not before he blurts out “there aren’t even any deer here!” Which was about the worse thing we he could have said to us after a 15 hour drive and hearing nothing but how the elk are replacing the deer in 61. We still laugh about that time. ?

forgot to add the funniest part of the trip, we hadn’t been in unit an hour and made a wrong turn into some guys private road that sure looked like a county road, and he comes out half drunk and apoplectic threatening to trespass us. We settle him down but not before he blurts out “there aren’t even any deer here!” Which was about the worse thing we he could have said to us after a 15 hour drive and hearing nothing but how the elk are replacing the deer in 61. We still laugh about that time. ?
I’m headed out 2nd season. Scouted once wasn’t too impressed. Considering turning tag back. Thoughts?

You sure you weren’t in 711? That sounds like me toward the end of hunting season?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom