Unit 61 Archery drop off?

Danny_Ocean

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-19 AT 07:43AM (MST)[p]Like many, last year I turned the tag in due to the fire and will try again this year.

I know the internet is a snap shot of what goes on, but it sure seems like the level of decent bulls has really fallen off lately in 61. Do you think we are finally seeing the effects of the early rifle season? That being the older bulls are getting picked off?

A few years back (pre early 61 rifle hunt) guys I know said they would always see some + 300 class elk and some that were really nice. I'm just not hearing that as of late.

Regardless, I will be there this fall. Am I out to lunch with what I'm hearing or not seeing?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-19 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-19 AT 01:10?PM (MST)

I saw numbers there last year but not big 'uns. jmo.

I've seen pictures of bulls from 61 from 2018. Why did you not hunt close to the fire. Elk always seem to stay close to fires. My wife saw elk in north west Colorado after visiting me up in unit 201. They where playing right next to the fire like they enjoyed it and where waiting for it to finish.

How many points did you use for 61 when you turned it in? I have 14 was thinking this year would be a great year to use them up there. Fresh burn area and late into September. I'm very optimistic. I've know guys that have hunted up there and have always had good things to say about it. They scream they average 300 to 330. I've seen pictures of much bigger bulls than that from 61. How far from road have you gotten and how many hours of glassing have you done. I will be going up to shed hunt it to see what kind of animals are dropping antlers this year boots on the ground and lots of glassing is always key to finding good animals.

Been a few years since couple firemen I know hunted it and they called 20 bulls a day in they said. I'm sure it's all about where and how good you can call. I can't say rifle hunters are going to change things that much. I hunt otc In 18 where they have way to many rifle hunters and I still see plenty of elk every year.

Let me know the points you had to draw. And if your seeing anything good. We could private message so everyone can't read what we are seeing or talking of. I'm sure I will draw if it looks like it's going to hold good bulls should make a trip soon before they shed just to see them grouped up in the winter herds.

Any way Danny hit me up if you want to pm me I'll get you my email if you ask.

Nick C.

I had a few extra points needed to draw the unit. I turned the tag in last year because it was a zoo up there with all the choppers, fire guys, roads closed, smoke etc.

I planned on hunting it but at the very last part of August the DOW gave us a chance to turn the tag in and that's what I did.

Looking at it now, I was a point or two back off of unit 10 and maybe should have just waited for it, but it's a done deal now as I didn't acquire another point last year.

I will be in 61 this year really a pretty place. My goal is solid 300 class elk.

I've
>know guys that have hunted
>up there and have always
>had good things to say
>about it. They scream they
>average 300 to 330.

I don't believe the above statement is true and I spent 10 days there this year. Yes 300-330 bulls exist, but they are certainly not the "average". You best lower your expectation or you'll have a serious case of depression on your hunt. I looked over about 25 bulls in 10 days and only saw one over 300 and I missed him. Sure a whopper shows up now and then, but it's not common.

Unit 61 is a good elk hunt and a fun elk hunt with a good amount of action and being in elk on most days. But I've been on true trophy elk hunts before and this is NOT one. Just giving you some facts here.

This ^^^^^^

I've been lucky enough to spend muzzy season and the early rifle season in 61 2 of the last 3 years. My experience was that herd bulls averaged 300" or less. During those hunts, I saw one really good bull the day before the early rifle season started. It probably went in the 330" range. However, I have a friend that helped take a 380" bull a week after the early rifle season ended. So...like most units, there are a few giants to be had.

While we would have liked to harvest bigger bulls on those hunts, they did meet all of our other expectations. Lots of elk, not a lot of people, beautiful country and a lot of bugling. Hard to go wrong with that.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom