Unit 61 Elk Advice

3x2

Hello All,

I have 21 NR preference points and am debating on weather or not I should apply for the first rifle hunt or hold out a few more years for the muzzleloader or early rifle hunt. Does having deer/cow hunters/people scouting have much effect on the muzzy and first rifle seasons? I have time to wait out the point creep if it makes sense but I would rather go hunting and start rebuilding if the hunts are going to be similar. Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-18 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]I had the early rifle tag last year and helped on the muzzy tag the year before. I'd definitely do the Muzzy tag out of the two. It's a really big unit and didn't see any other hunters on both hunts while hunting. Can't go wrong either way..

>Hello All,
>and am debating on weather
>or not I should apply
>for

Where I come from, we call it "buying a pig in the polk." :)

The sickening part is, after 21 years you'd think it'd be easier to figure out, but many of us are in the same dame boat as you.

On the other hand, most people reading this ain't got a snowballs chance in hades of ever seeing that country with an elk tag in their pocket.

But to answer your question truthfully, I'd draw unit 76 muzzy and go hunting this year. I'm not sure you'll be any closer to 61 in 2or 3 years. jmo

I'll be there for archery. 2 points behind 10, but SOOOOOOOO many units I've been in with big bulls for 1-3 points.

Goals, to take a solid P&Y class bull.

I have 22 NR points and I just put in for PP this year.
If I don't draw an Arizona Archery tag next year I'll probably burn my points on the unit 61 Archery tag. It's not like I haven't been hunting waiting to use these points but I think it's time.

Ya I'm also carrying 21 pts. and trying to decide between waiting for archery (14% chance) or just cashing on one of the late rifle hunts like Randy last year. Lots of NR's in this point pool. Should have been burning them on 3/5 pt. units years ago. The wife is moving here from China in July and will be here for this hunting season, so I'll just do a point this year. In the future she will return to her country in my fall hunting seasons, so I can hunt more seriously. Invested too long to take her this year have her distract my hunt wanting to do tourist stuff or something.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom