unit 61

one_dryboot

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-08 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]Hey guys im really thinking about buying a landowner tag this year in 61 3rd season. i have heard some good things about the unit but never been there. would really like a chance at a 180 class buck or better. ok i really want a 200 incher but im trying to be realistic. do Ya"ll think this is a good unit for my goals? thanks!!!

Probably start at around $5000.00 for that LO Voucher, unless you are a personal friend of a lucky landowner. I've heard that there are standing offers for 4th season deer vouchers of btween $10,000.00 and $15,000.00 each.

It was 70 degrees during that hunt last year. I was hoping to see a buck like you are looking for but it just didn't come together. There were a lot of disappointed hunters last year so if 61 gets the weather this year, there should be some nice bucks taken. There are some super bucks in that unit, but it is not a slam dunk and if it is a repeat of last year you might be disappointed and out a considerable amount of cash...

Horniac

Everyone thinks CO trophy units are a slamdunk. There are not 180 class bucks hiding behind every tree. That includes 61, 21, 55, 44 etc.

A true 180 typical is a buck of a lifetime in my opinion.

Great post 4000fps, Our media culture builds such high expectations nowadays that alot of folks have lost sight of the true meaning of hunting.

180-200 inch bucks live in all Colorado units, there's just more of them in some units. It takes alot for a deer to be 180+, and not all of us are going to be fortunate enough to harvest one.

4000, i agree with you 100% i dont think it is a slam dunk at all. ive hunted mule deer for the last 12 years. ive hunted some great mule deer country and still never shot a 180 class buck. ive been close. alot of it is luck but if you put yourself in good position your odds are better. all i am saying is I want to go on a great mule deer hunt on a great unit in colorado where there is a chance at a monster. and if i hunt my ass off and come home empty handed thats how the cards were delt. I dont want or need a guarantee. just some input if this is a unit to maybe meet my goals.thanks all

Also have to agree. A 180 class buck in my book is a buck of a lifetime. Hunted unit 10 couple yrs ago with dad and wow was that dissapointing. Nothing mutch over 22 inches.

Units 61,55,54,53,66,67,44,21 all carry 180+ deer and the potential for much larger. Severe winter conditions may affect the nunmber of 180+ deer for 2008. That's why they call it huntin

Like Horniac, I was there last year-huntn in shirt sleeves. Had a great hunt but no success. I do know of 2 190" bucks taken by a father/son team. They road hunted, got lucky twice. That was their words, not mine. All that said, 61 is like the other good units, if you hunt hard and weather cooperates, you could have a fantastic hunt. Don't rule out 66.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom