Unit 61

Longshot349

I have enough non res points to likely draw 2nd rifle this year. My question is (in a nutshell) , is 2nd rifle worth my points, or should I wait 2-5 more years for 1st rifle or early rifle or maybe a Muzzy?

Seems like these same questions come up every year, but as a Non Res, I do not have current info and data from the field. If you've hunted 2nd rifle in recent years, message me and tell me what you think, or email me @ [email protected]

Thanks much.

If it were me I'd go muzzleloader all the way. Had the tag in 2013 and into multiple bulls every day. Had a 62 first rifle elk tag last year and didn't see an elk till the last day. Day after the season closed (2 days before 2nd season) the wife and I drove out on the tongue (61) and sat overlooking Atkinson mesa. Saw 1 5x6 bull in a strip of black timber near Atkinson creek and that was it. Sitting in the same place in mid sept. I'll see 20-30 cows and 5 to 10 bulls and hear 2 or 3 more bugling that I can't see if the weather is right.

That early rifle might be pretty good too but I think it would be hard to beat the muzzy.

I had the early rifle tag this year and guided a friend on the muzzy tag the year before. I'd take the muzzy tag if I could do it over. The big bulls are already covering a lot of territory by the early rifle season. It was hard or impossible to relocate them. They didn't move as much in muzzy which I preferred if you were looking to kill a specific bull. At least that was my experience. One other thing. The bugling can flip off like a switch by early rifle and it did on day 4 this year. You literally felt like you were hunting in a different unit over night.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-18 AT 07:00AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the info here and in emails also. Some great people on this site..... Live4 I know what ya mean by scouting bulls only to have them move 5 miles the next day. I also know how elk can go from red hot action, to laying in black timber all day. Can you let me know how your harvest went or the friend on the muzzy hunt?

Also, I would think somebody out there is reading this that had a 2nd season tag in either 2016 or 17, and can comment or email. These are basically once in lifetime tags, so none of us are going back unfortunately... Thanks much.

19 ppts minimum, to draw second season last year, thought going around this year is reduced amount of tags either this year or next.
If that happens the points could take a leap, Muzzleloader already taking 22+ points, first special season 24+.
Your decision may be more dependent upon your ability.

I have 20 PP and you're right, there's no guarantee that'll be enough this year. But I'm not talking about point creep here, I'm just asking if 2nd season is worth it.

So far from the private info, the answer may be no. That's why I'd like to hear from more people that hunted 2nd season last year.

The muzzy hunt was great. Into a lot of bugling bulls every day. The morning he harvested his bull, I called in all 7 satellites, one by one, into 30 yards or less. Then....we got his cows coming our direction and he shot his bull at 20 yards with cows at <10 yards. It was pretty cool. Even when the bulls were bedded during the day, you could get them to sound off enough that you could sneak right in on top of them. If you didn't see what you wanted, go to the next bugle. Another really good part, on both tags, we didn't seem to run into any hunters.

>The muzzy hunt was great.
Another really good
>part, on both tags, we
>didn't seem to run into
>any hunters.

I think that's the key difference between Muzzy/1st rifle , and 2nd rifle right there.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom