Unit 62 3rd Season Deer

OneMile

Saw the other recent post about this area, but this is my first time hunting this unit. Due to the 3rd season changes and anticipated effect on the age class, I went ahead and dropped my 10 points on this area. Made it there for the Labor Day weekend. Met the people renting out cabins along the Divide Rd. After spending the long weekend there, I still have a few questions. Not looking for honey holes, of course. I'm looking for where to park a larger camp in case the divide road becomes inaccessible, where the crowding occurs, etc. If anyone is willing to share any information, it would be much appreciated.

Divide Road is never impassable during hunting season unless we get a rare Two foot dump. The side roads can become impassable pretty quick. A Utv or atv are very useful in these conditions. There are literally hundreds of campsites just off Divide Road

There's a couple 30' 5th wheels right off divide rd up to uranium rd. coming from hwy 141.
There's a few spots that are dry enough now up to that point. Above divde forks campground was mush off the main road. It's starting to sprinkle snow this past hour, but the next week looks like no rain/snow.

Thanks. Yes, probably the best place to find a campsite I've ever seen. We were surprised to see representative bucks literally on the divide road, even on a busy weekend. This unit seems huge and only had time to explore by roads and didn't hike much. Are the deer where you find them, or are there areas to go and have a better chance of running into them? Are there areas to flat out avoid due to human traffic?

Im curious to hear how the hunt went/overall experience for those who were lucky/unlucky enough to hunt 62 3rd season. Anyone willing to share how their hunt went?

I was up on divide rd today and there were a bunch of camps/campers bailing off.
Saw one flatbed trailer with 3 small bucks on it that were not even skinned yet! WTF?
Only horns I saw out of probably 20 rigs

We had a great 3rd season hunt in 62. Saw two bucks bigger than what I killed. Saw five bucks killed and heard of three others. All respectable bucks. Saw over a hundred deer. Some groups of does had bucks with them and some didn't. The buck I killed had does with it. I spoke to a group of three that drew with four points and a group of three that drew with three points. Overall, I thought it was a great hunt and look
1669151027613.png
forward to next year. I bought a LO tag.

Sweet buck so did you kill it on public or private land. Did the land owner tag give you permission to hunt the land owners ground?

I killed it on public. I never asked if I could hunt the LO's private. I've hunted the same area off divide for years. I don't see where it would be an advantage hunting the private up there with all the public to hunt. Most the private is fairly small in comparison. Pretty crowded first few days then it cleared out to the point that driving back to camp which was about a 10 mile drive I passed one SxS on the road. Hunting always gets better later. I did notice that I saw a lot more deer off the road the day's I was there before the season started. After the season got underway, I still found a lot of deer, but they weren't off the road any longer.

We had a great 3rd season hunt in 62. Saw two bucks bigger than what I killed. Saw five bucks killed and heard of three others. All respectable bucks. Saw over a hundred deer. Some groups of does had bucks with them and some didn't. The buck I killed had does with it. I spoke to a group of three that drew with four points and a group of three that drew with three points. Overall, I thought it was a great hunt and look View attachment 94508forward to next year. I bought a LO tag.
Nice deer, Congrats!

I was up on divide rd today and there were a bunch of camps/campers bailing off.
Saw one flatbed trailer with 3 small bucks on it that were not even skinned yet! WTF?
Only horns I saw out of probably 20 rigs
I saw a first this year - a SxS pulling a little trailer 30 mph thru the mud with a bull on it. There was so much mud on it I thought it was firewood at first.

We had a great 3rd season hunt in 62. Saw two bucks bigger than what I killed. Saw five bucks killed and heard of three others. All respectable bucks. Saw over a hundred deer. Some groups of does had bucks with them and some didn't. The buck I killed had does with it. I spoke to a group of three that drew with four points and a group of three that drew with three points. Overall, I thought it was a great hunt and look View attachment 94508forward to next year. I bought a LO tag.
That is a great way to photo a good buck.

Great buck. Just goes to show that you need to hunt an area year after year to know where the better bucks hang out. Hard to do nowadays.

Great buck! I almost hit a dandy on the way into the hills in the private lands. Ended up getting up there 3 days late and only ended up hunting a day and a half as I was sick. A lot of sign, only saw does, even after quite a bit of glassing. Disappointed, but will probably be back and get to know the area better. Saw someone pull a 150 off a truck and a local showed me the 165+ that he got.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom