Unit 62 deer 3rd season advice

rachele39

Internet connection is sketchy, up on the plateau, got in last night a few days early as I've never hunted the 3rd season or with these late dates. Went up top and everything off divide rd is tore up, barely got my trailer turned around and dropped down in elevation and set up for the time being. Went back up to where I've hunted second season several times in the past. All my spots are about 8600'. Bumped into the game warden loading his 4 wheeler who just came out of the areas I hunt and got his two cents and his warning on the trail conditions. Said I'll be getting more weather tonight and tomorrow. Said the spots I've hunted should still have a few hold out bucks but if I don't see them the first couple days to bailout and hunt the lower elevations. Have a few days till season starts but hope to have a better plan than that nailed down by then. Anyone in the know that wants to throw in there two cents worth of advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Not well. Saw about 10 deer, one 3x3 breed a doe maybe 20” wide. Went up a few days early, up top had snow and got some more and the trails were tore up so I ended up spending all my time down by the road leading to Dominguez campground. Had knee and foot surgery 3 months ago, and thought I could do more than I could. The cold really messed with my knee. Hadn’t been back to the unit in 5 years and said I wouldn’t go back to it last time but time and the late dates and it’s the only unit I was familiar with up top suckered me in again. Only hunted the first three days and said f*** it and spent the rest of my week traveling around Utah for a few days sightseeing. Time to find a new unit, 10 plus years ago it was really good, these 3 bucks are from a 5 year span there in second season and there were bigger ones than these I saw taken. Hope everyone’s hunts were successful.

A5100EB8-BA71-4D11-B974-B972C1993916.jpeg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom