Unit 62 Recap

BCDEER

This was the worst season for deer in 62 that I have ever seen. I hunted for a week second season for deer and Elk in the Brushy and Snipe area and never saw a buck. That has always been a good deer area for me. i did see Elk where I have never seen then and had 2 chances on bulls with no luck. Looking for feedback from others that hunted 2nd or 3rd seasons for their take on the area.

I've owned a place in this Unit for 8 years... the mule deer situation here is absolutely abysmal...we've seen one 3 1/2 year old buck in two years... my neighbor across the road who has lived there for 16 years says he's never seen anything like it...last Thanksgiving, the few 18 month old forkies that hadn't been shot were doing the breeding...I've witnessed the population of deer, mature bucks, etc. plummet over a 4-5 year period...the mule deer management plan here, if one exists, is a total disaster...between the lions, coyotes, bears, road kill, insane numbers of tags issued, winter kill, poaching, etc - the deer don't stand a chance...we need a 3-5 moratorium on hunting at best or a 4 point one side rule at the very least..the tags need to be dramatically cut back if they don't enact a moratorium...an open season on predators would help as well...who should I trust? - the biologists or my lyin eyes???

And another thing, be sure and vote for the reintroduction of wolves that'll be on the ballot soon...apparently some amount of folks are certain that's the answer...(sarcasm off)

We of course have the Gray wolves back here in AZ and that has not gone over very well. I know that there are still some great bucks in 62 but I hope that something can be done to bring back the numbers.

I spent a week in 62 for 3rd season deer. I had the same tag 3 years ago. I agree that the herd numbers have dropped significantly. I hunted every day and hit multiple areas and saw less than a dozen bucks. The only 2 good bucks I saw were on private. I won't be going back.

>I spent a week in 62
>for 3rd season deer.
>I had the same tag
>3 years ago. I
>agree that the herd numbers
>have dropped significantly. I
>hunted every day and hit
>multiple areas and saw less
>than a dozen bucks.
>The only 2 good bucks
>I saw were on private.
> I won't be going
>back.

Todd,
Sent you a PM

I was hunting down low, close to the hay fields. That's where I was seeing the most deer. No rut behavior from the few bucks I did see.

I posted my hunt results on the muledeer page on unit 62. Im not going back to unit 62. Hunter numbers and lack of deer sightings/buck sightings have me searching for another unit.

>Search away, it's not just 62,
>the entire state is dwindling.

Yes and the CPW could give a shi* as long as they sell tags,

I HUNTED UNIT 53 3RD SEASON, IT USE TO BE A GREAT UNIT. SPENT 14 POINTS TO GO BACK. THE DEER WERE SCARCE TO VERY FEW IN WHAT USE TO BE CRAWLING WITH DEER & SOME GOOD BUCKS.

THE MULE DEER ARE IN TROUBLE IN MOST OF THE WEST, LISTEN TO THE DEER REPORTS OF OTHER HUNTERS. SAD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YD.

I was up in crystal creek and black mesa area in gmu 63 just south of gmu 53 this summer and did not see a single deer the only deer I did see were in the bottom farm ground.
It's not just the deer that are in bad shape it's also the elk herds.
CPW needs to do their job and manage the animals but all they seem to care about is Money but
they don't seem to realize that with no animals to hunt anymore there will only be money from selling bear, lion and the newly to be released wolf tags. CPW does have the authority to stop wolf introduction in Colorado but is just settling on there a$$.

Colorado has become one of the least friendly hunting states if not the worst in the west imo. Between being ran out of public land by ##### landowners that think they run the world, lack of deer, and CPW being less than helpful CO will not be getting anymore of my business after my elk points are used. Very sour 4th season hunt and the lack of animals was the least of the BS that was dealt with. Seems hunters in these small towns that used to be welcomed have now become a burden. Granola munching liberals are what makes the world go round in CO.....sad that everyone that I associate with are having the same experiences in what was once a hunters paradise.

I was up in crystal creek and black mesa area in gmu 63 just south of gmu 53 this summer and did not see a single deer the only deer I did see were in the bottom farm ground.
It's not just the deer that are in bad shape it's also the elk herds.
CPW needs to do their job and manage the animals but all they seem to care about is Money but
they don't seem to realize that with no animals to hunt anymore there will only be money from selling bear, lion and the newly to be released wolf tags. CPW does have the authority to stop wolf introduction in Colorado but is just settling on there a$$.
How do you explain the 50% harvest success rate on the CPW website for the unit?

How do you explain the 50% harvest success rate on the CPW website for the unit?
CPW does not distinguish between public/private harvests as far as I know. In my hood, harvest statistics are "inflated" by the near 100% success enjoyed on private ground.

The success of landowners "managing" the deer herds on their private property is masking a much bigger problem.

And also what ^^^^he^^^ said. Surveys need to be mandatory. Oh, and lets get rid of OTC licenses so we actually know how many people hunt where.

CPW does not distinguish between public/private harvests as far as I know. In my hood, harvest statistics are "inflated" by the near 100% success enjoyed on private ground.

The success of landowners "managing" the deer herds on their private property is masking a much bigger problem.

And also what ^^^^he^^^ said. Surveys need to be mandatory. Oh, and lets get rid of OTC licenses so we actually know how many people hunt where.
If your look at the harvest statistics and scroll way down, they do exclude PLO "private land only tags" for what its worth I guess..

This was the worst season for deer in 62 that I have ever seen. I hunted for a week second season for deer and Elk in the Brushy and Snipe area and never saw a buck. That has always been a good deer area for me. i did see Elk where I have never seen then and had 2 chances on bulls with no luck. Looking for feedback from others that hunted 2nd or 3rd seasons for their take on the area.
Hello BCDEER,
Wow! I sure am sorry to hear about your hunt in unit 62. I had heard that the deer were getting scarce up there, and I am surprised that you saw any bulls at all during a rifle hunt!
Unit 62 had been my favorite unit in CO for both deer & elk for more years than I like to admit to (1979-2010).
When I lived up there, I would hunt elk with my bow during the early archery season, & deer with a rifle during 3rd rifle. I like to think I had my fair share of success :).
It makes me sad. When I remember some of the deer hunts during the eighties & nineties when, it wasn't a question of if you were going to get a buck, it was just a question of how big a buck you were willing to hold out for. I never held out for very long!
I personally have not hunted up there in 10 years, so all I know about that unit in recent years is 2nd hand info, , , , and none of that has been good!

Elkchaser

Last edited:
I was in 62 for archery elk this year. I was able to see 4 mature bucks all together, one was a 5 point but they were headed west towards 61! No luck seeing anything in third season though, it seems they all were down in Unaweep canyon already.

I was in 62 on 9/11 and it was my first time hunting in Co. I originally was going to hunt near Paonia & Crawford, dreaming of a DIY,OTC archery back country hunt. I got talked into hunting 62 by a game warden who hunts and got me to go to 62 North Sec. I also agreed to go with a guy that was to be my new hunting partner... You’re gonna love this one, I ran an ad and one of the Facebook big game sites and I posted “Hunting Partner Wanted”. We hit it off the times we met, practiced our bow shooting, etc....but when it came time for the 9 hr drive from Las Vegas, I knew after listening to him talk for the entire 9 to 10 hrs that this just wasn’t gonna be fun for me and that splitting up would be the better move to make.
We arrived on one of the few days there was rain and I was worried because was driving a 2 WD 2500 Duramax, with 6x12 enclosed toy hauler/camper trailer with 800 RZR in the bed of my truck. The plan was to use the razor to cover a lot of ground, spot and stock, find water holes to sit, and possibly backpack into more remote areas which I probably should’ve done.
I feel stupid for waiting till the moon went dark instead of coming out when season opened with a full moon...as you all know...the darn ML season for black bear and I believe Elk/Deer opened after our 2nd day I believe. The morning ML season started...holy **** it sounded like an AR 15, AK 47 shooting match. The shooting was N.E of Divide Forks Camp Ground. We had done a lot of research about this area for terrain, water holes, food, shelter, glassing spots, etc. We scouted up to Dominguez Ridge and all areas in between. I had one encounter with a Bull which was the second morning there. My partner went west, I went east to take up a spot overlooking game trails found the day before, just after shooting time, this nice Bull came crashing Over ridge right towards the trails I would be covering and I had just arrived and my bow unloaded, along with back pack had just been set down behind tree. He stopped 35 to 40 yards uphill from me, grunting, looking down towards my direction and I was frozen still...by the time I gained my senses to try grabbing bow, putting arrow in rest, raising and firing...he took off for the next hill. All in all, we spotted no deer, lots of cattle, horses, and one Bull Elk.
I came home pleased to have done the research, crated multiple plans, found current sign and an encounter with a Bull. Major mistake being in an area with so many hunters road hunting, bike hunting, and then start of ML season....I don’t know they make Semi-Auto ML’s! LOL
I’m now thinking strongly of finding some areas with fewer hunters/tougher terrain, more Elk, and a back country, maybe back packing hunt either drop off by horse back or Llamas.
I wanted to find an area I could learn, come out with my wife and back pack, camp, scout my hunting area, learn an area over the years.
While we were hunting this area, we came across a Grandfather and his grandson riding around in a SxS road hunting for black bear, and a good number of road hunters, one guy using his bike to scout/hunt. I learned a lot, the expert was mostly positive but I want a more wilderness experience I guess.

62 is definitely not a wilderness hunt but good luck on your adventures!
I knew that going in that I was giving up my back country hunt...not having a pack out....to an easier more populated area based on this Game Warden's/Forest Ranger suggestions. In my heart I knew the trade off I would be making but I figured I could head up to the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness but the hunt was destined to failure when I had some issues with what was going to be my new hunting partner. I may stick with getting up to the Dominiguez or try out 53 or surrounding other GMU's that have wilderness. Looks like I may have to hire a guide for Drop Camp or a Drop Off and game retrieval if needed. I cam away appreciating your beautiful state and the wanting to share with my wife. Thanks, Matt

Wow...thank you very much. I do need help/information to decide on the GMU's/Wilderness areas I'm going to focus on for Archery Elk. Don't laugh but I wanted to come out during the summer with my wife who loves to hike & fish...but no hunting for her and use that trip for learning the area, scouting, visiting with your fish & game, maybe forest service & guide if I go that route. I'm intrigued with the idea of Llama's but the cost for that may be similar to a (Drop/Game Retrieval). Not sure If I'll be able to afford an actual drop camp. I'd like to take you up on your offer for help but want to ask the right/intelligent questions. Thanks again, Matt

I’d rather hunt the wasatch front in a flat bill hat and blaze orange with a knife than hunt unit 62 for any species, any season.
The flat billed hat would need to be a Hush brand and you would need to shoot a Hoyt and drive a Tacoma with your kuiu camo....

I miss living in CO, but sad to hear of the 62 deer situation. Too many predators and tags. You should see the bear I killed this year just on the other side in 61...

The flat billed hat would need to be a Hush brand and you would need to shoot a Hoyt and drive a Tacoma with your kuiu camo....

I miss living in CO, but sad to hear of the 62 deer situation. Too many predators and tags. You should see the bear I killed this year just on the other side in 61...
Well post it up. I love seeing bear photos!!!:)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom