Unit 63 General Deer

Shanejs1

So I had a little mishap yesterday when grabbing tags. Both units I wanted were sold out and I had 63 on my list, come to find out it’s an Archery only unit, or at least what my research has shown me, is that correct? Not super familiar with this unit, doing all the research I can and am obviously going to make a few scouting trips. On hold with Fish and Game right now trying to get some more information. Anyone have any tips or pointers for the unit? Not asking for spots, just a little point in the right direction or anything at all helps. Thanks I’m advance.

No, 63 has an archery only deer season 8/30 to 9/30. Then the firearms is short range, so bow/shotgun/muzzleloader from 10/10 to 10/24

I should add that 63 has more WT's than MD. If you were to trade for a WT tag, you could also take advantage of the Nov to Dec 19th late archery season!

Last edited:
No, 63 has an archery only deer season 8/30 to 9/30. Then the firearms is short range, so bow/shotgun/muzzleloader from 10/10 to 10/24

I should add that 63 has more WT's than MD. If you were to trade for a WT tag, you could also take advantage of the Nov to Dec 19th late archery season!
I appreciate the reply. How hard is the process for trading our mule deer tags for whitetail tags? And in your opinion do you think that is the way to go considering the number difference in whitetail to mule deer and getting that late season hunt? Thanks, Shane.

Sorry to break the news to you, but the tag you picked up probably isn't what you thought it was when you gave the Idaho F&G your money. Unit 63 is basically sagebrush flats, old lava flows and farmland. There are a mix of mule deer and whitetail. If you enjoy hunting sagebrush flats with your bow or a short range weapon, then I would say go for it and have a great time. I'm not saying you can't have an enjoyable and successful hunt in 63 but I'm guessing it isn't the type of tag you were looking for. The best advice I could give you is to seriously consider getting your money back and not wasting your time on this tag.

Idaho's current system scams a bunch of nonresidents into buying tags they don't fully understand in a time sensitive situation. Many nonresidents just purchased tags for units 22, 40, 41 and 42. It would be interesting to know how many of those nonresidents actually realize their tag is only good for shooting 2 points. Based on returned tags last year, that number was very high.

If you would take advantage of the late archery hunt and are more interested in whitetail then you could consider switching to a whitetail tag for 63. If you are really interested in hunting whitetails in Idaho, the northern half of the state is where most of the public land whitetail can be found. There is some decent whitetail hunting in south half of Idaho but private land can make it a challenge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom