Unit 63 mule deer horable?

Pcjr21

All the reports I have gotten from this year was that 63 was bad. Especially on public ground. If anyone has other reports could theses please share.

Hopefully someone who has hunted 63 this year will come along with some decent answers.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-18 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p] My son and I each had a fourth season tag for this unit this year. We were three days before the season opened doing some scouting and learning new areas. One of the biggest bucks we seen my son was able to take. A 26" 3x3 heavy with long tines. Needless to say I was not impressed with what we seen the whole time we were there. I shot a 4 point the last morning of the hunt. Of course the people without tags said the seen some big ones, but they couldn't tell you where??
Would I hunt there again? Absolutely YES!!! I had a great time with my son and friend, seen some great country, but I guess I built up the area too much in my mind and was let down with what we had seen.
I guess you can blame the weather, the lack of rain in the summer, fires, or whatever, but the fact is there were deer everywhere, just nothing that in my opinion that was worth the points I used. That being said my son had the time of his life.

That unit can produce, but way overrated for the amount of points it takes in my opinion. Nonetheless, sounds like you had a very fun hunt, really all that matters in the end.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-18
>AT 09:10?AM (MST)

>
> My son and I each
>had a fourth season tag
>for this unit this year.
>We were three days before
>the season opened doing some
>scouting and learning new areas.
>One of the biggest bucks
>we seen my son was
>able to take. A 26"
>3x3 heavy with long tines.
>Needless to say I was
>not impressed with what we
>seen the whole time we
>were there. I shot a
>4 point the last morning
>of the hunt. Of course
>the people without tags said
>the seen some big ones,
>but they couldn't tell you
>where??
> Would I hunt there again?
>Absolutely YES!!! I had a
>great time with my son
>and friend, seen some great
>country, but I guess I
>built up the area too
>much in my mind and
>was let down with what
>we had seen.
> I guess you can blame
>the weather, the lack of
>rain in the summer, fires,
>or whatever, but the fact
>is there were deer everywhere,
>just nothing that in my
>opinion that was worth the
>points I used. That being
>said my son had the
>time of his life.

And that right there is the problem. Tons of hunters do the same thing. They don't find the buck they are looking for so they shoot an ok buck towards the end of the hunt. That ok buck could grow up to be the buck you are looking for but it never got the chance.

>>LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-18
>>AT 09:10?AM (MST)

>>
>> My son and I each
>>had a fourth season tag
>>for this unit this year.
>>We were three days before
>>the season opened doing some
>>scouting and learning new areas.
>>One of the biggest bucks
>>we seen my son was
>>able to take. A 26"
>>3x3 heavy with long tines.
>>Needless to say I was
>>not impressed with what we
>>seen the whole time we
>>were there. I shot a
>>4 point the last morning
>>of the hunt. Of course
>>the people without tags said
>>the seen some big ones,
>>but they couldn't tell you
>>where??
>> Would I hunt there again?
>>Absolutely YES!!! I had a
>>great time with my son
>>and friend, seen some great
>>country, but I guess I
>>built up the area too
>>much in my mind and
>>was let down with what
>>we had seen.
>> I guess you can blame
>>the weather, the lack of
>>rain in the summer, fires,
>>or whatever, but the fact
>>is there were deer everywhere,
>>just nothing that in my
>>opinion that was worth the
>>points I used. That being
>>said my son had the
>>time of his life.
>
>
>And that right there is the
>problem. Tons of hunters do
>the same thing. They don't
>find the buck they are
>looking for so they shoot
>an ok buck towards the
>end of the hunt. That
>ok buck could grow up
>to be the buck you
>are looking for but it
>never got the chance.

31726065036_79bf4240ea_t.jpg

My current situation precludes me from caring about your opinion but go ahead and give voice to it anyway...

You aint kidding... statewide every hunter with a 20" 4x4 in his truck bed bitching about no big ones.

Introspection (notice the spelling) seems to not be a dominant trait in the hunting community...

31726065036_79bf4240ea_t.jpg

My current situation precludes me from caring about your opinion but go ahead and give voice to it anyway...

This wasn't a hunting story it was a ##### thread about the "whoreable"unit with no big bucks, by a guy who left the Whoreable unit with two young bucks in coolers and can't see the connection between "a" and "b".

And this scene is repeated by the tens of thousands of times across the state, couched in terms like "management buck" "meat buck" "cull buck" take your pic.

Nothing inherently wrong with it until you start bitching about no bigguns running around with your chompers full of medium rare deer loin.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-18 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-18 AT 07:17?AM (MST)

Squirrel,

The poster you are blasting for shooting "mediocre" bucks isn't even the original poster who called the unit horrible, he was just trying to answer the question. Not sure if a 26" 3X3 is mediocre? You just want to blast people for shooting inferior bucks to your standards.

The problem is they give out too many tags to grow big bucks consistently, it is not the fact that people shoot mediocre bucks. Most people hunt in order to shoot something because it is fun and they want to eat it. It sounds like they wanted to shoot something and tried their best to find the top end bucks by scouting 3 days before the hunt and hunting hard. The best buck they found in a week is what they shot....that's not the hunters fault...that is a management issue....there just are not as many 170+" bucks running around. I hunt the same exact way...I will go into a unit with a 180" goal, but after 5 days if I haven't seen one of those bucks... I will hunt hard for the biggest I have found, I am there to hunt hard and hopefully bag a mature deer and then I am going to eat it. Based on this strategy, I often don't punch a tag, but often times I do as well.

If hunters want bigger bucks, they have to cut tags, the solution is not to hold hunters to your standards on what they shoot.

Congrats to the hunters and glad you all got to spend some time in the field together, it sounds like your son had a great time.

We both had a great time. I had high expectations of the unit, my son wanted get something better than he already had, and we both wanted to get out of the preference point bs.
Like i said, I had the time of my life, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I talked to six other hunters with the same tag. One guy lives in the unit and nobody seemed overly disappointed. They seemed to have been having a great time being able to chase deer on their own terms, not hunting by someone else's ideas of what should or shouldn't be taken.

>
> My son and I each
>had a fourth season tag
>we seen my son was
>able to take. A 26"
>Needless to say I was
>seen the whole time we
>were there. I shot a
>of the hunt. Of course
>the seen some big ones,
>where??
>great time with my son
>country, but I guess I
>built up the area too
>much in my mind and
>was let down with what
>we had seen.
> I guess you can blame
>just nothing that in my
>said my son had the
>time of his life.

And that right there is the problem. Tons of hunters do the same thing. They don't find the buck they are looking for so they shoot an ok buck towards the end of the hunt. That ok buck could grow up to be the buck you are looking for but it never got the chance.
Whats wrong with taking a legal Buck the last day of the hunt??

>
> My son and I each
>had a fourth season tag
>we seen my son was
>able to take. A 26"
>Needless to say I was
>seen the whole time we
>were there. I shot a
>of the hunt. Of course
>the seen some big ones,
>where??
>great time with my son
>country, but I guess I
>built up the area too
>much in my mind and
>was let down with what
>we had seen.
> I guess you can blame
>just nothing that in my
>said my son had the
>time of his life.

Yep….

"And that right there is the problem. Tons of hunters do the same thing. They don't find the buck they are looking for so they shoot an ok buck towards the end of the hunt. That ok buck could grow up to be the buck you are looking for but it never got the chance."

^^^BINGO. It's crazy how many hunters out there that only consider their hunt a success if they punch a tag on something. Not saying this was the case here though cause I don't know.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-18 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-18 AT 07:17?AM (MST)

Squirrel,

The poster you are blasting for shooting "mediocre" bucks isn't even the original poster who called the unit horrible, he was just trying to answer the question. Not sure if a 26" 3X3 is mediocre? You just want to blast people for shooting inferior bucks to your standards.

The problem is they give out too many tags to grow big bucks consistently, it is not the fact that people shoot mediocre bucks.

If hunters want bigger bucks, they have to cut tags, the solution is not to hold hunters to your standards on what they shoot.
The problem with “Cutting tags” is that us, the consumer/hunter, have little to no say over this. Game departments are always trying to maximize opportunity with very little concern over age class, outside of a few areas.

It is incumbent upon us, even the minority of hunters, that want to see more mature bucks, to self regulate and not shoot 2-3 year old bucks, IF we truly want to hunt more older age class bucks in the future. The Gov’t agencies are just not going to do this for us.

There is NOTHING wrong with shooting a legal buck, however, if you want to hunt older age class bucks, then we have to take responsibility for our take. Mule Deer bucks are “Born to die” and have so many things stacked against them making it to 5 years or older, and guys with Rifles are pretty high on that list.

I have eaten many tags, personally because of this, and it’s hard, no doubt, but I am “Eating my own dog food” on this one.

To each his own. Gjkimber45 stated that….”YES!!! I had a great time with my son and friend, seen some great country”. More power to him. Cherish family, the ones your with, and memories made. Most times the experience is bigger than the score.

All deer tags are limited. If we want a unit to be a trophy one, fight to make them issue less tags there. To rag on a guy who shoots any buck in a unit he has a tag for is elitism. Not everyone is soley a trophy hunter. There is also something to be said for seeing lots of deer, having a great hunt with your son, and putting some meat in the freezer.

Where I hunt deer if you don’t eat the legal ones the coyotes and mountain lions will.
In my ’hood, hunters and cars kill far more bucks than predators.

The reason we don’t have more older bucks is because:
a) these ridiculous buck:doe ratios don’t allow a large enough percentage of the tiny buck population to survive more than a year or two
b) and hunters kill too many of the ones that survive to adulthood.

And now we are going to kill all the does.

It’s colossal stupidity if trying to build the herd. But I’m pretty sure it’s more about selling tags.

You may be right. We don’t hunt does here, not yet anyways. No doubt hunters play a big part in reduction, along with cars, drought and predators. We have a huge predator problem here and of all the aforementioned that reduce deer population I can help control just one, and that’s predation. I do my part every chance I get.

You may be right. We don’t hunt does here, not yet anyways. No doubt hunters play a big part in reduction, along with cars, drought and predators. We have a huge predator problem here and of all the aforementioned that reduce deer population I can help control just one, and that’s predation. I do my part every chance I get.
The doe tags increased this year and I’m still scratching my head. I’ve been asked by 3 people to shoot one from my porch already and the draw hasn’t even happened yet.

I prefer deer to gutpiles, so I’m doing my part defending the deer by keeping everyone out. Wont matter though because the neighbors will have someone on the fence line.

The ag business complaints are probably behind it. Farmers and cowboys are the sworn enemy of wildlife. It’s only tolerated as long as they get to pimp it out. There :ROFLMAO:

The other issue is a lot of NR want to bring something home to show for all the dollars and time spent on an out of state hunt. Plus they usually only draw the area once every few years or jump spots. Therefore leaving small deer does them no benefit in the short term.

The other issue is a lot of NR want to bring something home to show for all the dollars and time spent on an out of state hunt. Plus they usually only draw the area once every few years or jump spots. Therefore leaving small deer does them no benefit in the short term.
Agree. Some hunt for their egos and some hunt for the food. To each their own. I don’t begrudge anybody for taking a legal animal.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom