unit 652, thoughts,,

300stw

wondering anyone that has spent the last 2 years in 652 have any thoughts about the class of bucks in there

did quite about of scouting this summer, found some sheds last year, dont think i have seen a 165 class buck yet,

my son has the tag and is away from the area until around thanksgiving,,,

area there 170 class bucks in the unit this year, seems that with the summer i have seen some great deer this year in other areas around the east part of the state,,,

>wondering anyone that has spent the
>last 2 years in 652
>have any thoughts about the
>class of bucks in there
>
>
>did quite about of scouting this
>summer, found some sheds last
>year, dont think
>i have seen a 165
>class buck yet,
>
>my son has the tag
>and is away from the
>area until around thanksgiving,,,
>
>area there 170 class bucks in
>the unit this year, seems
>that with the summer
>i have seen some great
>deer this year in
>other areas around the east
>part of the state,,,

There are 170? bucks in the unit this year. I helped my uncle on the unit two years ago and he shot a 184 and we seen two others in the 170+ range. They are there but you'll have to hunt hard.

I hunted it last year. Only hunted 3 days and got one before the storm rolled in. Just an average 140 type buck. I am not a trophy hunter, so probably not the best to ask but......we saw a lot of bucks, several were bigger than the one I got, but not 170 for sure. 160 tops. I do know a couple guys who have gotten 170+ so it is possible.

It was a fun hunt, but I actually prefer our general hunt area. More hunters and less game, but country I prefer to hunt and the bucks are roughly the same size.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-19 AT 05:23AM (MST)[p]I can't speak specifically to that unit but we drove through it yesterday. From the town of Circle to Jordan on route 200, we saw mostly goats. Some deer the farther towards Jordan you got, units 700 and 701 I would guess. Mind you we are doing 70 mph in a motor home so it's not like we were glassing. The deer really came out of the wood work around Mosby / Musselshell river all the way to where rt 87 intersects 200. We saw 3 140+ bucks off the highway less than 100 yards from the road in that stretch and maybe 2 or 3 parked trucks in that couple hundred miles. Maybe saw 5 glimpses of orange. More hunting activity started about 50 miles east of Lewistown but still saw deer feeding on the side of the road everywhere. They must like the grass in the ditch because when it got dark you could still see does feeding 10' away from the road.

Looks like it's pretty cut up with private but I bet there are some nice bucks in that area if one could get access.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom