Unit 66 CO migration help

CowDoc

Hunting second season rifle deer. We have been here since 24th (opener). Seeing lots and lots of does and fawns all over. We have been on both sides of 149 between Nine Mile hill and Gateview. Snow from monday is melting fast. Today we saw bigger groups (8-12 head) of does/fawns, but no or small bucks. I'm inexperienced on the migration . How soon do the bucks follow? And should we go higher into the dark timber? Thanks

Hunting second season rifle deer. We have been here since 24th (opener). Seeing lots and lots of does and fawns all over. We have been on both sides of 149 between Nine Mile hill and Gateview. Snow from monday is melting fast. Today we saw bigger groups (8-12 head) of does/fawns, but no or small bucks. I'm inexperienced on the migration . How soon do the bucks follow? And should we go higher into the dark timber? Thanks
I'm leaving on this Friday AM to go to Gunnison to scout 66 for 3 rd season rifle deer starting 11/2 for son in laws tag, never even there before. I'll start looking around Powderhorn north of there, Tolvar Peak maybe. I'd say go higher elevations until you find the Bucks , I think likely the Bucks are still higher . Just a guess . That snow & cold should start moving the Bucks to the does very soon. Usually this time of year, find the does & watch - the Bucks will not be far behind generally speaking. The Bucks should be moving to the sage areas from the Black Timber. Wish I could help more ! Best of Luck !
307-772-1623 - cell . E Mail: [email protected]
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado

Thanks. Number of deer on the hay fields north of Lake City doubled today. Saw a couple nice town bucks in Lake City tonight.

Thanks. Number of deer on the hay fields north of Lake City doubled today. Saw a couple nice town bucks in Lake City tonight.
That's great to know ! Did you cover any of the area around Tolvar Peak north of Powderhorn ? I'll be staying in a Motel in Gunnison. Are you camping out in 66 or staying at Gunnison or Lake City ? Just wondering. I'll look around Lake City too. Jerry ????

Had that tag last year, it’s a “B” with no weather. Hasn’t been enough weather to bring the majority of the nicer bucks down. Your going to have to get in the timber and dig them out.

Had that tag last year, it’s a “B” with no weather. Hasn’t been enough weather to bring the majority of the nicer bucks down. Your going to have to get in the timber and dig them out.
Thanks a lot ! Very helpful. Any suggestions on the Black Timber digging spots at this time ? Higher elevations spots must be the ones to concentrate on now. Is Tolvar Peak area
one to check hard ? Any others ? Thanks very much !
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co E M: [email protected]
Text/Cell: 307-772-1623

Thanks for the help and suggestions. We bugged out with tags unpunched due to schedule. Saw lots of does, fawns, n little guys around hwy 149. We did bump a 170ish buck on Indian Creek yesterday, but couldn't close the deal. We busted beetle kill timber on Slumgolian after the snow trying to follow tracks, but only found elk. Overall a fun hunt, just needed a foot of snow instead of 3".

We had a decent hunt but things went against us right away. Hot ? & dry, then snow, a few so so bucks, nothing worth shooting. No shots fired. Very disappointing overall. Never saw any other hunter with deer or elk taken. Unit 66.
Jerry Gold -Windsor, Colorado

I’m telling you, unit has big potential, but this was my experience also. If you don’t get some weather to push the big bucks out of the sea of timber good luck. Hunted it last year and it was terrible for the hype it gets.

We had a decent hunt but things went against us right away. Hot ? & dry, then snow, a few so so bucks, nothing worth shooting. No shots fired. Very disappointing overall. Never saw any other hunter with deer or elk taken. Unit 66.
Jerry Gold -Windsor, Colorado
You didn't hunt 66 then.

Deer were everywhere. Several 180 plus hit the dirt.

They are not mine to share. So, if guys want chime in they will. Knowing how this game is played, I'll just leave it at this.

Know several guys who shot average 4x4s as well on the 2nd and 3rd seasons.

For Jerry to say nothing was happening is disenfranchised at best.
Don’t know what you mean by disenfranchised. I hoped you had some pics of special deer to share. If Jerry says he didn’t see a buck he liked, then he didn’t. Hunters are at a big disadvantage hunting a new area. It takes years to learn a unit, or someone has a lot of time for preseason scouting, and luck plays a great part. I hope you did well on your hunt.

Nothing of the sort. I gave info to multiple folks hunting 2nd and 3rd season. All reported more deer than they could deal with. High and low.

Whether he saw a buck he wanted or not, cant help him there but 180 is a benchmark and almost to a man everyone I helped saw something in that range. Whether they closed the deal or not is their story to tell.

I hope your season has gone well as well sir. You smoked a super stud in 2019 and belated congrats!!

My elk season wasnt great but I got a raghorn early and given circumstances I'll take him. Was doomed hunt from start. Got a few bigger bulls on wall already and I'm content.

Currently on a 4th season tag with my son for deer. May or may not yield something special. My daughter already took a 170" out of here so Hope's are high for better.

Nothing of the sort. I gave info to multiple folks hunting 2nd and 3rd season. All reported more deer than they could deal with. High and low.

Whether he saw a buck he wanted or not, cant help him there but 180 is a benchmark and almost to a man everyone I helped saw something in that range. Whether they closed the deal or not is their story to tell.

I hope your season has gone well as well sir. You smoked a super stud in 2019 and belated congrats!!

My elk season wasnt great but I got a raghorn early and given circumstances I'll take him. Was doomed hunt from start. Got a few bigger bulls on wall already and I'm content.

Currently on a 4th season tag with my son for deer. May or may not yield something special. My daughter already took a 170" out of here so Hope's are high for better.
? I think you know 66 well. I wish your daughter well on her hunt for the big one. Good luck.

I was hunting 67 and once the snow came it was a different hunt. We saw some good bucks over in 66 on the border between the two units but no giants, and no 180's. In 67 once we set up and started glassing we turned up a lot of deer and each day we were seeing new bucks showing up. I was at the CWD check station in Gunnison and I saw a low 190's buck from 66 being tested there. Super heavy 4X4 with brow tines and big sticker off of each G2.

? I think you know 66 well. I wish your daughter well on her hunt for the big one. Good luck.
Thank you sir!! Truly.

My son is the tag holder. I've a tag too, but nowadays I prefer see those who haven't connect on big critters versus those of us who have. I'm that oddball who dont fit on sites like this but hang around anyways.

That's just me.

I was hunting 67 and once the snow came it was a different hunt. We saw some good bucks over in 66 on the border between the two units but no giants, and no 180's. In 67 once we set up and started glassing we turned up a lot of deer and each day we were seeing new bucks showing up. I was at the CWD check station in Gunnison and I saw a low 190's buck from 66 being tested there. Super heavy 4X4 with brow tines and big sticker off of each G2.
I'll be the broken record here, but I just wanted touch on something your post brought to mind.

Very few guys/gals in the world have the experience and luck(insert eyeroll if you want, I understand) to walk into a area they have never spent time in and find the big guys.

Your post brought forth the thought that time on the ground brings that knowledge for most of us. Hence the problem on hard to draw tags. Even if everyone that has ever had the tag gives you info(never happen) the truth is it's all a snapshot in time. Even for those of us who hunt a area year after year know things change. It's just easier for us to adapt.

Snow always changes things and it's a feast or famine thing. For every guy like you and me where things got excellent I know others who literally got iced out.

Hunted 4th season in Unit 66. Had a blast, scouted for 3-days prior to the season. Looked at around 40 bucks from my atv through binos and saw another 30 while driving. Crazy number of deer, almose scary to drive at dawn & dusk through the wooded areas near Hwy 149 and county road 26. I shot this buck opening day, only saw one buck slightly larger. I think he might go 170 but that's not important. I had access to some blm land through private not far from Blue Mesa Reservoir.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

I hunted 66 second season and saw some nice bucks but yeah getting to the 180 mark second season can be tough. On the Wednesday of that week I was out there early driving to a glassing point when I saw this guy bedded 120 yards off the trail and decided he was good enough for me.

Photo Oct 28, 4 34 50 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 28, 4 18 21 PM.jpg

I'm heading to 66 3rd this November. Hoping to find one like the pics above. I've got some friends hunting the 2nd season, so hopefully they can give me some current intel, but I know things change quickly that time of year.

66/67 are great units. But every year is different. It is not a slam dunk to drive around and shoot 180 deer like folks lead you to believe. It’s big country and the big bucks are not stupid. Amazing deer country. Put away the tape measure and go have a good time.

Rich

I’m telling you, unit has big potential, but this was my experience also. If you don’t get some weather to push the big bucks out of the sea of timber good luck. Hunted it last year and it was terrible for the hype it gets.
My experience the same in ‘20. Hype is bad. Not a slam dunk for sure. Great unit potential. ‘ 20 was not a great year except maybe in certain areas. All very weather dependent! I stand by my report. Call ‘em as they happen.
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom