Unit 66 Colorado

hoosierhunter

Hey guys, I have enough points (I think) to draw a muzzleloader tag for unit 66.
I'm researching now where to go. I want to hunt wilderness to avoid 4 wheeler traffic and Uncompahgre looks interesting. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks !

Hoosier hunter, give this guy a call - Taylor Stephens 1-303-653-4303. He was just in unit last year with his son hunting elk, seen lots of good bucks! Tell him Randy Wade gave you number.

I hunted unit 66 with a friend 2 years ago above tree line with a muzzleloader. It was a great hunt. We both scored on high country bucks. PM me for specific details. Be physically prepared, its a demanding hunt.
20180912_173504.jpeg

Hey guys, I have enough points (I think) to draw a muzzleloader tag for unit 66.
I'm researching now where to go. I want to hunt wilderness to avoid 4 wheeler traffic and Uncompahgre looks interesting. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks !
All I know thus far about 66 deer is that the Powderhorn Area comes with some good recommendations from previous hunters. I'm putting in for 66 th 3 rd rifle deer & going out there 10-14 in advance IF I draw that tag, I have 11 points. May/may not be enough points this year. Jerry Gold ? Fort Collins, Colorado

Sorry to bring back an old thread...

Cliff notes:
We will be hunting unit 66 3rd season, I have ideas of where we will go based on a scouting trip in August, would welcome any other tips.

Long version:
My dad and I finally decided to cash in our preference points (13 resident)- primarily because he is 73 and I'm not sure how many more hunts I'll get him on and secondarily, I was uncertain what the point status will do in the near future with all the changes.

We spent a couple of days scouting areas in late August. Did not see a lot of animal activity in the areas we looked, then again we were looking for areas that would be appealing 2.5 months later. Located a few areas that I feel have real potential but I have no idea what to expect as far as other hunting pressure (elk and deer hunters) as well as animal activity in early November.

We plan to head up early to get camp set up and hopefully locate some critters. Would be really helpful if mother nature would help out a little bit. We just returned from our elk hunt and it was tough going- hot, dry and very windy. Animals were few and far between.

Any insight on areas to check out, areas to avoid, experience in the unit, etc would be greatly appreciated.

We have hunted unit 55 since the early 80's, happy to share anything that may be helpful in that unit.

Happy Hunting!

I have a coworker that would set up a Craigslist ad for me when I would go on vacation, usually selling or giving away goats. You would be surprised how many people want free goats. ??
That’s rookie status! I put up an ad in the personals section on Craigslist as a chick looking for a hookup with my buddies number. About 50 peter pictures, texted to him later, he was ready to kill someone! ???

That’s rookie status! I put up an ad in the personals section on Craigslist as a chick looking for a hookup with my buddies number. About 50 peter pictures, texted to him later, he was ready to kill someone! ???
Yeah I would kill my buddy that's a dick move pardon the french.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom