Unit 66 Controlled Questions

jray

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-16 AT 00:32AM (MST)[p]Just looked up my results today and couldn't believe that I drew a Unit 66 deer tag. I'm a non resident and have never been in that country. I've been in the hills around Soda Springs but not quite as far north as 66. I'm not into handouts and I don't want to know where the deer will be. I just have some general unit questions on what to expect.

How much snow can I expect on average? I will most likely only be able to hunt late November due to work.

What condition are the roads in?

Any private property or land access issues to worry about? I do plan on buying the Idaho ON X map.

Many wolves to compete with?

Thanks in advance.

66 is mostly public land. There is some private on the West and North boundary. There is a lot of remote, roadless country. There is Motorized Hunting rule in effect that restricts use of ATV's.

Few wolves.

Road condition will depend on snow activity. You could be totally snowed out toward end of Nov. I'd take a snow mobile if I had one. The NE boundary is a paved highway, so you can always access that.

I've never hunted deer in there, so I can't help you with specifics of that. Good luck, should be a fun hunt.

UGA is sorta right. You can access 66 from swan valley, but only a small portion of it, if the snow has hit hard. The best deer hunting in November is to the south end of the unit anyway. When snow is heavy the deer head west toward unit 69. or south toward soda. Ive hunted this area for 30 years. Get a good set of maps from the forest service to show you all the trails and roads.
There are some monster bucks in this unit
Good luck!

UGA is sorta right. You can access 66 from swan valley, but only a small portion of it, if the snow has hit hard. The best deer hunting in November is to the south end of the unit anyway. When snow is heavy the deer head west toward unit 69. or south toward soda. Ive hunted this area for 30 years. Get a good set of maps from the forest service to show you all the trails and roads.
There are some monster bucks in this unit
Good luck!
anadavid25, I'd greatly appreciate if I could pic your brain on some finer details. I know this post is 6 years old. However experience is gold to the un-experienced.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom