Unit 66 Muzzleloader Deer

SureShot

Very Active Member
I just picked up an unexpected 66 muzzy tag for deer in the re-issue pool. With such a short time frame before the hunt starts, I'm going to make the best of it and do what I can. I'm looking for any help or info anybody is willing to share.

I have horses and an ATV if they would be useful.

Anybody with experience or insights they'd be willing to share (PM is fine)?

Thanks!

Tree line at southern end of unit, north facing slopes. Glass each basin a morning and a night. Find a deer, wait til he's stalkable, kill him.

Leftover list is like santa claus coming in August!

Goodluck with the tag.

Last thing, if you find a deer now, he'll be in the same area in muzzy season til he loses his velvet. If he gets bumped, he'll be back too.

Sureshot, how did you do on that muzzy Deer hunt in CO 66? I'm looking to pull that tag this year. I usually bow hunt elk so we're looking to do a little something different.

Things turned out well for me, but it's not a walk in the park. The deer (including bucks) are scattered from one end of the unit to the other at that time of year, but most of the bigger bucks are found in the high country. You may look in four basins that have nearly identical terrain and you won't see anything in three of them, but then you'll find a batchelor group in the other. It seems to be hit or miss.

They have increased overall tags for that unit in each of the last three years and I believe it has affected the top-end bucks.

Glad to hear things went well. Did you have much hunting pressure? Were hoping to try and stay away from it. We plan 2 weeks vacation and get out 3 days before season (From Wisconsin) scout. Work high, backpack in and cover as much ground as possible glassing AM and PM.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom