unit 67 3rd

DMULEY

I have a few questions on 67 3rd season deer if anyone can help. I burned all my points and will be my one and probably only CO deer hunt being im 67. I going to DIY and go out 6-7 days before hunt (14 if i have to haha) and plan to stay till end. Yes this is my first post, Yes i have never been in unit 67 before and no i dont want gps to a 200''. What should i expect average buck to be for unit. Camp or hotel, if hotel what town is best to stay in to cover unit the best? Anyone that has had tag had better luck on one side of unit, meaning better than other for deer (north,south,west, east). I looked over earlier post about roads so thats covered. Any little info is helpful and please PM so i dont upset anyone about honey holes :).

Gunnison if you want a motel. I would camp out in the unit. The drive 20-90 minutes or more depending on where you are hunting. The deer will be in the sage country.

I have a few questions on 67 3rd season deer if anyone can help. I burned all my points and will be my one and probably only CO deer hunt being im 67. I going to DIY and go out 6-7 days before hunt (14 if i have to haha) and plan to stay till end. Yes this is my first post, Yes i have never been in unit 67 before and no i dont want gps to a 200''. What should i expect average buck to be for unit. Camp or hotel, if hotel what town is best to stay in to cover unit the best? Anyone that has had tag had better luck on one side of unit, meaning better than other for deer (north,south,west, east). I looked over earlier post about roads so thats covered. Any little info is helpful and please PM so i dont upset anyone about honey holes :).
There are roads all over 67 going in every direction. I would concentrate on trying to figure out how to get around in the unit then when you get to Gunnison before your hunt you will need to find how high or low the game are and that will all depend on the weather.

Thanks for reply's. Being old and solo i would rather use energy hunting and looking for deer rather than all the stuff that comes with camping, if travel from hotel to where deer will be is not brutal. 270whatelse does it have any kickers on it :)

You can stay in town and easily hunt 67. A 10 minute drive will get you on public land. Low temps in November sometimes drop into the single digits, sometimes even below zero. Keep this in mind if you plan to camp. The Gunnison Basin deer herds are not what they used to be. I think a 160-170 deer would doable, anything bigger unlikely.

In 2018 there were loads of deer. There were not a lot of bucks killed in 2019 due to warm weather in my opinion. There have been 3 easy winters in a row. You could be in for a banner 4th season and a chance at a deer of a lifetime. Pray for snow and cold weather. I wish I had a tag.

Average buck for the unit is probably a 17inch wide 4x3.
H
In 2018 there were loads of deer. There were not a lot of bucks killed in 2019 due to warm weather in my opinion. There have been 3 easy winters in a row. You could be in for a banner 4th season and a chance at a deer of a lifetime. Pray for snow and cold weather. I wish I had a tag.
A lot has changed since you hunted 67 and not for the good and not in just GMU 67.

Unless you have a heated trailer I would stay in Gunnison. Gunnison has good food options and the days are pretty short. 3rd goes late so I would plan to stay till the end of the hunt and not worry about days before the hunt unless a storm is expected. With that number of points and season dates Iwould wait till near the end for a 180 type buck, but from what Inhear those have been rare the last 3 years and getting worse every year. That time of year covering ground and glassing does normally has the best success. I hunted 68 last year and was surprised how few deer I saw driving through 67 compared to years past. Good luck and post a report when your done.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom