Unit 67 4x4 Access

Padfoot

We're driving out in a 4x4 truck and not having been in the unit, wonder whether we are going to get stuck or not be able to drive to some of the trail heads. What do the roads look like and will we regret not having a quad?

You won’t need a quad in the unit. All roads in the unit can be traveled with a 4x4 truck or vehicle. The roads are well marked where you can drive and those that are closed. You can’t take any vehicle off of any road. Guys like to race around on ATVs but you can get anywhere in a truck that you can get in an ATV, legally.

Thanks, I appreciate that. How are the roads when it rains, will I need mud tires? (I'll have chains and a highlift jack, and a chain saw ;).)

The roads for the most part are fairly rocky. Many years ago, we used to get some snow during the muzzle load season. Knee deep snow, but it’s been a long time. You never know. With decent traction tires you should be fine. Even with a lot of rain in September the roads stay in pretty good shape. Usually blue bird weather.

On the south and west sides of the unit I didnt need a quad last november during 4th rifle. Good roads but rocky so have a good spare. Cant speak for the east side of unit.

We're driving out in a 4x4 truck and not having been in the unit, wonder whether we are going to get stuck or not be able to drive to some of the trail heads. What do the roads look like and will we regret not having a quad?
You want to have good traction tires, you should be OK in the early seasons but some of the roads when you get off the rocky part turn to Sh*t. I was over there last year 4th season but it was 53 degres. I took my ATV because a lot of the roads in that unit are easier to get around on with one in my opinion. I was also over there in the summer a lot kind of a pain to haul a trailer around but if you have an AVT you think about bringing it. It is real dry this summer no rain to speak of but we can also get monsoon rains don't know if we will get any this year??

Good info, thanks for the condition update. I hope some rains do come in the mean time, I see some wildfires burning in nearby units.
I may have to put some sand bags in the back of the truck for traction...in case it rains.

I usually have two spares on these trips too, having learned that lesson on Utah roads a few years back.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom