Unit 68 vs 22

Onelegwonder

Hey guys Ive been doing some research and I've been looking at these two Units it's for 3rd season deer. I've got 9 points. I'm an out of stater ?And wondering if anyone has any experience in these units. I'm an above the knee amputee so accessiblity is important for me. Or if you have any other units I should look into it would be much appreciated.

I'm also spending my 9 points this year. I figure 22 3rd will take at least 10 points to draw, especially since it got some good press by the epic boys last year

22 has been on a hard slide for last 3-4 years. NR points are way inflated for this unit. It is too bad as a decade of points is not really producing anything special anymore. There are still some good bucks, but the quantity/quality is down a a lot. This winter I spent over 18 days in the unit hunting predators. The doe looked great, but buck numbers were down well over 30% compared to what I usually see. Big Bucks over 160 were non existent. I saw one that was larger but in a typical winter I can find 4-5 170 plus. Not this year.

2 years ago they increased tags in 22 by a chunk. That coupled with the loss of 30,000 acres plus of prime habitat has taken this unit way down.

The only thing making 22 a great unit for you is the easy access and the idea that there are many deer.

Good Luck. If you have any questions on 22 look me up.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-19 AT 04:56AM (MST)[p]68 is easy enough to hunt in many spots, even with an AK. I've not hunted 22 and have only hunted 68 because its home for me.

But, it has gone way down over the past few years mostly due to weather.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Deer quality is on a downward trend everywhere it's just the fact we all face. Don?t let it totally discourage you though, there are still good bucks to be had in about every unit in the state. To many people get caught up in inches of antler anymore and not the experience of the hunt to begin with. If you want to hunt in November with your given points and mobility 22 and 68 are very good options. If you were willing to hunt second rifle units 21 and 66 would be good options.

Coloradoboy

Elks what happened to the 30k acres of prime hunting land? I didn't hear that. Can you give me the skinny. Thank you

>Elks what happened to the 30k
>acres of prime hunting land?
> I didn't hear that.
> Can you give me
>the skinny. Thank you
>

So long story short, there was. Approximately 22,000 acres that were owned by Shell. When the property was bought by Shell from the BLM, it was required to remain open for public recreation for X number of years. When that time was up, Shell was awesome and agreed to allow the State to lease public hunting access for really cheap and remain open. A couple years back due to our states horrible direction in regards to energy/gas etc. Shell pulled out of Colorado and with that sold all of its holdings to new owners. The new owners have closed that property to hunting. Right or Wrong it was some of the most prime country in 22.

Then EnCana had the same sort of set up. Access to over 30,000 of once BLM that was sold to private in the 80s. EnCana did the same thing, allowed public access for hunting. They also sold out in order to leave the state to a new company called Caerus. As a result Caerus has no interest in supporting access and keeping their property open. In unit 22 this was around 14,000 acres and in Unit 33 it was closer to 20,000 acres. This happened at the same time they increased deer tags.

It has definitely shifted the dynamics and last 2 years you can see an impact on crowding issues in the units and in 33 a huge drop in success rates. In 22 a noticeable drop.

Wow. Now I understand all the crowding issues and lower success rates in 22. Having a closed area is not all bad in my opinion, it allows for some escape. But, the number of tags needs to be reduced proportionately at the same time.

Thanks a million guys! I appreciate the feedback and the PMs sent. I'm looking for a fun hunt. I obviously would love 180+ buck to walk out from behind a bush by the road. (Who wouldn't ?) but I realize the reality of my situation is I'm limited so I just enjoy getting out and hunting. I shot a mt goat last year. Not a ?trophy? inches wise but an awesome hunt none the less. So hopefully this year Colorado monster muley will be on the docket.

>Deer quality is on a downward
>trend everywhere it's just the
>fact we all face. Don?t
>let it totally discourage you
>though, there are still good
>bucks to be had in
>about every unit in the
>state. To many people get
>caught up in inches of
>antler anymore and not the
>experience of the hunt to
>begin with. If you want
>to hunt in November with
>your given points and mobility
>22 and 68 are very
>good options. If you were
>willing to hunt second rifle
>units 21 and 66 would
>be good options.
>

>Coloradoboy

I pm?d you a while back about similar units

22 has been on a hard slide for last 3-4 years. NR points are way inflated for this unit. It is too bad as a decade of points is not really producing anything special anymore. There are still some good bucks, but the quantity/quality is down a a lot. This winter I spent over 18 days in the unit hunting predators. The doe looked great, but buck numbers were down well over 30% compared to what I usually see. Big Bucks over 160 were non existent. I saw one that was larger but in a typical winter I can find 4-5 170 plus. Not this year.

2 years ago they increased tags in 22 by a chunk. That coupled with the loss of 30,000 acres plus of prime habitat has taken this unit way down.

The only thing making 22 a great unit for you is the easy access and the idea that there are many deer.

Good Luck. If you have any questions on 22 look me up.
I would appreciate it if you could give me a few pointers on where the deer are concentrated in unit 22. using 20pts going in on the 4th hunt , but I have never been in this unit before. Thanks , Joe

Oh man. I had the 4th tag last year and it was horrible. I will be in the unit for 3rd this year and would be willing to give you an update on everything I see... I am done with 22 after I help my cousin hunt it. The majority of deer in 22 migrate in from other units and the CPW has decided to kill all the mature bucks in the other units.

last year we are our Resident 4th tags with out ever seeing a buck even close to what we kill on a WY general tag.

20 points for 22 is a poor decision, but I understand the reason.

shoot me a PM with specific questions you and if you need I will drop you my phone number and we can chat after I spend 3rd in the unit. It is sickening what CPW is doing to the deer in the NW...

First off thanks for the reply. I don't know what a PM ( personel message I assume ) is or how to send it. Was recommended this 4th season hunt by Huntin Fool. You can text me at 9892333262 . Thanks , Joe

Wonder,
I'm expecting that next year the point hoarders (myself included) will come out of the woodwork and cash in because of the later dates. Expect point creep for sure across the state. 22 third season took 10 points to draw 2019, Unit 68 third season took 7pts. I'd expect each of them to possibly jump a year or two.

Good luck.
B

First off thanks for the reply. I don't know what a PM ( personel message I assume ) is or how to send it. Was recommended this 4th season hunt by Huntin Fool. You can text me at 9892333262 . Thanks , Joe
Yes PM is private message...

mid you click on my name there is a series of logos that pop up. I will send you a start one!!!

I would appreciate it if you could give me a few pointers on where the deer are concentrated in unit 22. using 20pts going in on the 4th hunt , but I have never been in this unit before. Thanks , Joe
Do you have the tag already for 2020? or are you thinking for 2021? Myself and elks burned our points on this 4th season hunt and would personally not burn that many points on it if we were you.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom