Unit 68

muleyczy

Anyone have any insight on this whether unit 68 is worth buring possiablly 5 points for a third or fourth season deer tag, when considering overall deer numbers and public land acess in that unit? From what I understand a third season land owner tag sells for around $1,500.00-$2,000.00?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I dont need any spots or locations just info/thoughts on the overall quality of the unit.

Thanks
Muleyczy

Muleyczy, thought I would go ahead and register since I frequent MM and enjoy reading others posts and hunts. I am no expert on unit 68/681 but hunted there last season(2nd). Both units have a considerable amount of public land, both BLM and Nat'l forest. The deer herd seems to be in good shape, seeing 44 deer on a 4 mile hike the day before the season started but only 3 small bucks. We had 5 in our group(NR) and took 4 bucks. Nothing large but one of the most enjoyable hunts I have ever done. 2 in my group shot their first muleys and 1 shot his 2nd and they are near 50 years young. The game warden in the area was very helpful in the planning stages. We did pick up some 140 sheds while scouting. On the plus side, I never saw any orange off the roads and theres alot of space in between the roads. If you need any specifics, I would gladly help. We hunted unit 681. When we build our pts back up, we normally look towards the Gunnison units, just hope the winters are mild the next several years. Wyoming for us this year.

MDot

Mdot,
Thanks for the insight. During your actual hunt was there allot of bucks to sort through and what was the average size of bucks you where commonly seeing?

again thanks for the reply. If i get drawn, ill hit you up on some specifics.
Muleyczy

I've hunted it for many years, mostly because it is home for me.

I would not waste 5 points on it....although I have to admit the bigger deer have been showing up more frequently over the past 5 or so years.

What area of 68 are you planning to hunt?

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Muleyczy All of the bucks we were seeing were young 4pts and forks. Granted, we were only able to hunt 3 days. We hunted from 9000 down and spoke with the warden on the way out of Saquache and he thought the bigger bucks were still high. We were able to get a Kia rental up to 10,000 though! I would agree with feddoc that I'm not sure its worth 5 pts. Its one of only a few units that the pts needed are the same for residents and Non.

MDot

Thanks for the info. Well wait and see what the Tag Gods bring. Im not sure where I wopuld hunt if I get drawn. Big area lots of country.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom