Unit 7 Elk

bragabit

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-15 AT 02:32PM (MST)[p]Looking for a little advice here. We have 3 unit 7 elk tags. We spent a week in mid September archery hunting. We had a good time, were close on several occasions. Just couldn't quite get it done. I personally had 3 340 plus bulls within 50 yards, but wasn't able to get a shot. We saw better quality of bulls than expected, but no where near the quantity.
So my questions are: Is it worth the 11 hour drive to go back next week with a rifle? This will be the first chance we have had to go. Anyone been out the last week or two? Do the bulls hang in the private bottoms this time of year? or do they go up on the South facing mountains or in the public? Has there been enough storm to move the elk from where they were in Sept?
Does anyone have a lead on a good private ranch that would charge a reasonable trespass fee for 2-3 days this late in the hunt? Thanks for your help

If it were me I'd go. We've had some weather just in the last 12 hours, I'm sure they won't be in the same spots, but they might not be far from there.
Don't think there is a ranch that charges a "reasonable trespass fee".

Go, hunt, have fun, fill some tags!!!!

I've been known to travel 9 hours to hunt a doe whitetail so I find it strange that you'd be concerned with an 11 hour drive for an bull elk hunt in a premium unit.

More concisely, go hunt elk!

Zeke

11 hr drive for a chance at a trophy elk? Hell ya! I've driven 11 hrs (22 hrs round trip) for a few ducks.

Yea man, go huntin. You can't kill them sitting at home. A premium tag you may not draw again for ten years.

I just got back from a trip to hunt elk that I drove 26 hours one way by myself.

I am glad you guys talked me into going ack to WY to hunt elk. The weather sucked. Does the wind ever stop blowing? It was all worth it when I was able to spot this bull. He is not a giant by any means, but the best we saw.

937420151116131256.jpg

The trip started out great. We watched my son's football team win the UT 2A State football championship. GO BEAVER. The 1st morning there we saw 9 bulls, all small 4 and 5 points. Didn't see anything the rest of the day. 2nd morning hiked up into a new spot. We saw a herd of 30 with just a little rag horn and spikes in it. Then about 11 we spotted my bull and another smaller 6 point. The wind was howling about 30 mph and it was snowing. About an hour later the snow lightend up and I waited for a break in the wind. I shot him at 417 yards. Spent the rest of the day packing him out. 3rd day we only saw elk on private property and headed home.
All of our hunting was on public. 7 is challenging getting around all the private.

That's a fine trip!
Congrats on an excellent bull.

There, aren't you glad you went back?

Zeke

PS: thanks for sharing your success with us

Nice bull and congrats. Its always windy cause Montana blows and Colorado sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice Bull, Yes the wind does quit blowing, You just have to be there that day. The rest of the year is a tad windy.J/K

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

As always, there's zero chance of success staying home. Good job!

Yes, the late season in the Laramie Range had more than it's share of wind this year. It was howling when I spotted my bull on Nov 18th and we got 2" of snow on us packing him out. Memorable day for sure.

Nice bull. Thanks for sharing. Considering 7 for next year. As someone who just hunted there what are your thoughts on using my points on that unit?

MI Hunter, Personally I would not burn max points on Unit 7 again. The public land access is just too limited for my liking. I think you could have a good hunt if you can gain access to some private land.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom