Unit 70 elk- Co

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I was looking to burn my 2 elk points next year and was doing some research on drawable areas. I have never hunted 70...never been on the unit. From what I can see, they added elk hunts this year to that unit. Those that have hunted deer there, are there many elk? I was looking at the muzzy hunt which is mid Sept. My guess is they'd be vocal? Novice elk hunter here so just looking for help. Thanks!

Steve

Just noticed there were 554 bulls killed in 70 2020 so there must be a good amount of elk there. Lots of hunters though......

I was looking to burn my 2 elk points next year and was doing some research on drawable areas. I have never hunted 70...never been on the unit. From what I can see, they added elk hunts this year to that unit. Those that have hunted deer there, are there many elk? I was looking at the muzzy hunt which is mid Sept. My guess is they'd be vocal? Novice elk hunter here so just looking for help. Thanks!

Steve
Private property will be an issue. I have hunted deer there for 3 years now, and do not think I have seen an elk on public.

I have a good friend who hunts it and does good, but he is in the minority. They have hunted it for decades. Just showing up would be rough.

Like most of the southwest region, elk are in the rebuilding stage there. They are still selling the heck out of bull tags, but very few cow tags. As stated, there is a lot of private land in the unit and I suspect that is why the harvest stats look good. But it is hard to turn up a bull on public. I have a cabin in the area and can hunt 70 or 71 and I am hunting elsewhere this year. It is rare to hear a bugle on public, even in September.

Steve
Hey Wiz
There is a guy can't remember his name but he does drop camps in 70. We went years ago and got dropped back in 10 miles. We saw elk and some years are better than others. We had chances but no banana's.
We did however see some of the biggest bucks we had seen in years back in there.
It's doable but not easy, we had to come out in a snow storm 10 miles. So those of you who ride horses know that your crotch gets mighty wet riding out in a storm....
They advertise they have comfortable cots, Don't believe them LOL

Hey Wiz
There is a guy can't remember his name but he does drop camps in 70. We went years ago and got dropped back in 10 miles. We saw elk and some years are better than others. We had chances but no banana's.
We did however see some of the biggest bucks we had seen in years back in there.
It's doable but not easy, we had to come out in a snow storm 10 miles. So those of you who ride horses know that your crotch gets mighty wet riding out in a storm....
They advertise they have comfortable cots, Don't believe them LOL
I appreciate the info. I will def spend a bit of time researching this option. Thanks again, deerhunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom