unit 73 inquiry

Crash270

Hello fellow MM members. My son and I are hunting antelope in unit 73 this year. I have looked back through past posts pertaining to it but have questions and would appreciate your input.

1 – we’re planning to stay in Casper in a hotel. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I didn’t find anything current about that. Or maybe you have another suggestion…. we’re listening.

2 – we’re thinking about hunting the 1st week of October. Should that be into the season enough for some of the crowds to thin out and possibly catch some of the rut? Weather is a big unknown hoping to miss rain and snow.

3 – we do not have onX but can easily get the app. Is cell reception good enough for that or would a gps unit with chip be needed?

4 – where the best place to get a unit map?

5 – it looks like there’s open permission for the walk-in areas. Have I overlooked any we need to apply for access to?

The common theme seems to be lots of average size bucks so be patient and hopefully you’ll find a larger one. Anything I’ve overlooked you can comment on? PM if you would rather. I’m listed as a new member since I was inactive for a while.

Thanks,

I stayed at La Quinta a couple of years ago and it was a good place. The Fort restetaunt was next door and had good food plus it was nice being able to just walk over. Also it was easy to head out to the unit from there

Lots of small bucks. Really have to look hard for something decent. That being said I shot a 79” + buck I found two days before the season opened

Onx yes, you need it. Got checked twice last year. We got written permission for about 3k acres for $50 from a rancher. West half of unit is better and more public, most is not marked well. Elk rifle opens Oct 7 I believe, not the same traffic but will be more people in there, mainly the NW area. Lots of Pronghorn to look at in low 70s, take your time you can find a good one. Was in there last year with a buddy we had a great time.

My son and I have stayed several times at the C'mon Inn, which is at the Evansville exit, on the East side of Casper. Don't book online, call them direct and get the 'hunting rate'. They have a very good breakfast there early in the morning as well, which is free. Nice place for the money. You will see antelope next to the hotel as well.

In regards to your question about weather, it can change in a hurry. Two years ago, we were in short sleeves in the 70's one day and the next day, white out conditions, high in the upper 20's. This was the second week of October. This past year, we had 10" of snow and our flight out was delayed for a day, the second week of October.

I hope you have a great time! We love that area of Wyoming.

I stay at the Ramkota when hunting on the West end of town, and the C'mon Inn when hunting on the East end. For hunting #73 I would recommend the Ramkota.

Everyone's input by forum reply and pm is much appreciated.

How about a unit map? what do you prefer and where is the best source for it?

Thanks,

Get a BLM map if you want a paper one, but InX has all that info and more. Get an account and download maps to your phone. You can use them with your phones GPS even when you don't have cell service. You can install the app on a tablet too and download maps, it works the same way.

Get a BLM map if you want a paper one, but InX has all that info and more. Get an account and download maps to your phone. You can use them with your phones GPS even when you don't have cell service. You can install the app on a tablet too and download maps, it works the same way.
and way easier to see.....

Did this hunt a few years ago. Check out AirBnB in Casper. It was cheaper than the hotels and allowed us to setup a tripod in back yard to skin and quarter animals and had easy hookup for the freezer. We also went same time you mentioned. Saw very few other hunters.

Make sure you have your fishing gear as well. You will have a great time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom