Unit 74 mule deer and elk

H

horn_chaser

Hello everyone I am new to the forums here and I had a few questions for everyone. This year I put in and drew an archery muley tag for unit 74. This will be my first trip to Colorado and my first chance to hunt with my uncle who lives in Durango. I will be hunting the first two weeks of the season. My questions if anyone can answer them for me is what can I expect to see while I am hunting there? such as quality of mule deer and elk. Will I see alot of wildlife or will it be few and far between? Thanks for any advice you give me and look forward to learning from everyone here.

Hornchaser

I drew a first hunt either elk tag in 74 this year. It was my second choice. My first was 75 where I hunted last year, but for the first time in several years the first hunt in 75 filled out and so I get to learn a new area.

So far I have checked out the CDOW GMU maps, google earth, my San Juan National Forest map and another topo map I have of southern Colorado trying to find a good area to hunt. I have a few area's I'd like to check out and may be able to take a scouting trip in mid to late August. If not, I will leave a few days early for my hunt and scout then. Riskier to scout then, but we can only do so much and it may be better than nothing.

Since you have an archery tag you will be there before I am and I believe you should see a fair amount of wildlife. I am not too familiar with any specific areas within 74 since I have never hunted it either, but I do take trips to Durango and Silverton once or twice a year so I know a general lay of the land.

If you like, we can compare notes after our hunts. I plan on hunting deer in Colorado next year with a rifle, but during a later hunt. Have not decided on an area yet as I still more research to do. I have a preference point to work with too.

Good luck on your deer hunt and post your results.
264X300

Thanks for the reply. I think my uncle has narrowed it down to a few areas to hunt. Hollar back at me and we can compare notes on the area and good luck to you on your hunt.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom