Unit 76 black bear

bingo! That’s where I was heading, my bet is that he ran off others bait on the rig and didn’t even know it.
I bet he knew it was there and just didn't bring it up. Many hound guys are exceptionally lazy but really hardworking at the same time. I grew up with houndsmen, still hunt with a few of them and they're an interesting group to say the least.

Shat loads of Idaho hound hunters use bait to attract bears to the areas they want to hunt.
Sh!t load of them scout out other guys bait to strike off of too. I hate hound hunters. I know, I know, there’s good ones out there, and it’s a ton of work and a huge investment but most of them are slobs

So…..how big an area do you expect to get “hound free” if you have a bait pile working?

So…..how big an area do you expect to get “hound free” if you have a bait pile working?
I’ve got a spot I’ve been baiting for the last 5 years the hound guys can’t get to. But it’s through private to access national forest. If it weren’t for that I wouldn’t even bait. Can’t hardly get away from those guys.

I’ve got a spot I’ve been baiting for the last 5 years the hound guys can’t get to. But it’s through private to access national forest. If it weren’t for that I wouldn’t even bait. Can’t hardly get away from those guys.
So....My point is, how can any....let alone slob hounder, not be accused of working off someones bait pile just because he happened to hunt the same area??

So....My point is, how can any....let alone slob hounder, not be accused of working off someones bait pile just because he happened to hunt the same area??
There’s incidental then there’s lazy ass slob scouting others baits to strike off of and hunt. Last time I baited not in my current spot I had a guy come into my site, pull my logs back to see it was baited ( why I don’t know) then pull and erase my SD card on my camera. Next day while I was sitting in it he came in with his hounds, struck a bear and I heard him shoot it on top of the hill.

Lazy ass slob hounds man. If that’s how you gotta get it I guess good for you. But thats also not real un common

I bet he knew it was there and just didn't bring it up. Many hound guys are exceptionally lazy but really hardworking at the same time. I grew up with houndsmen, still hunt with a few of them and they're an interesting group to say the least.
Are you speaking of me? Good grief, how much would you like to bet? No that is not how it was. Driving road to strike early morning, yes. Then when that does not produce, selecting drainages to hike in blind with dogs trying to dig up a bear. Lots of miles put in on foot, and repeat.

Houndsmen are an interesting group for sure. Very passionate about their craft. The two I know and had the great fortune to take me under their wing just for the fun of it were not lazy and not slobs when I drew a high points UT tag and they had pursuit-only permits. They were tough as hell and hard working. Required my 9 bonus points to draw a bear tag as a nonres in an area covered in bears. Utah is very tight with bear tag quotas. Coming from Colorado where they beg you to carry a bear tag it is just hard to fathom waiting 9 years.

Coincidentally, I will be hunting in 76 this fall, but not for bear.

Are you speaking of me? Good grief, how much would you like to bet? No that is not how it was. Driving road to strike early morning, yes. Then when that does not produce, selecting drainages to hike in blind with dogs trying to dig up a bear. Lots of miles put in on foot, and repeat.

Houndsmen are an interesting group for sure. Very passionate about their craft. The two I know and had the great fortune to take me under their wing just for the fun of it were not lazy and not slobs when I drew a high points UT tag and they had pursuit-only permits. They were tough as hell and hard working. Required my 9 bonus points to draw a bear tag as a nonres in an area covered in bears. Utah is very tight with bear tag quotas. Coming from Colorado where they beg you to carry a bear tag it is just hard to fathom waiting 9 years.

Coincidentally, I will be hunting in 76 this fall, but not for bear.
Wasn't talking about anyone in particular.

Several years ago I was running a few baits. One of the baits I took a good bear off of the year before. They were about 20 miles apart and so it was kind of a hassle to go to both in a day. The bait I took my bear off of had a small parking area, just really a ridgetop that occasionally had campers stay, or just park at. I was down the drainage about a half a mile from the parking spot. After 3 weeks of baiting, I had a few good bears coming to it. I had a friend fly in to hunt. When we got to that bait there were not 1 but 2 hound rigs camped at this spot (they were friends). There were about 15 people camped there including the extended families. I was pretty frustrated and upset. One of the kids said "we have had bears right here that we have run". I have kind of a love/hate relationship with houndsmen as it has happened at other sites as well.

I completely understand the bait guys frustration. Many hound hunters deliberatly scout baits and run bears off of them and other hound guys just happen to be in the area and unknowingly run bears that have been in the area due to the bait sites.

Its a conflict that is going to continue as long as bait and hound seasons coincide. Kinda like the archery elk hunters getting pissed at hounds but the fact remains that as long as the seasons are open, guys of all means will be hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom