Unit 76 elk Colorado

Bandit141

I drew a Unit 76 archery tag with 11 points.
I was waiting for 61 but my age is obviously increasing as well as the point creep.

Most of my contributions to hunting forums are PMs but since I drew a tag in an area I've never hunted (and most likely won't hunt again), I thought I'd see if anyone that's hunted this unit recently might have some insight to offer.

I plan to use horses and already have a plan for going in to a place about 9 miles in the wilderness and hunting possibly up to a full week. My 15 year old son who is in excellent shape is tagging along on this hunt.

I live within a few hours drive here in Colorado and am not a complete stranger to Unit 76, just haven't hunted it.

I'm hoping to get some tips on an area to go check for a day hunt (or just a morning or evening hunt) when I jet down there for the weekend occasionally throughout season, seeing I'm a working guy with only having 1 week off work for the wilderness portion of my hunt.

We went last Saturday and scouted a lot from the roads just learning the unit better and put almost 90 miles on the 4-wheeler. Snow was actually melted enough that we were able to stop and have breakfast at about 13,100 feet. I'm planning on going back in a few weeks to scout some more.

Definitely saw some elk at a distance and caught some trout up in one of the basins. Sure excited to take my son in and introduce him to some elk rutting action.

I'm not new to archery and have been fairly successful in OTC units in the past, I'm not looking for a monster bull honestly, just hoping for an overall experience that will put meat on the table and leave memories that will last a lifetime (seriously).

If any of you would be interested in sharing some info (PM) on a good area to check out for a weekend or day hunt I'd be much abliged.
Thanks!

Bandit

I have a 1st Rifle tag, I live just east of Colorado Springs. I will start hitting the area scouting in the next week or two. If you shoot me a PM with some contact info, I would be happy to share some notes.

In 2007 I hunted around Rio Grande reservoir on the wets end - Ute & pole mnt and found plenty of elk. Lots of good trails to head in with horses. STEEP country. Beautiful and high elevation be in shape and take diamox before going. Easy to find elk glassing and responsive to calling.

Congrat's a great tag in a great area!

I also drew a 1st rifle tag for 76. I'm planning on heading up there in August to do some scouting. Any advice for access? I've only had a chance to look at maps of the area.

Kpalu

As of a couple of weeks ago the FS roads I wanted to check out were still closed. I am planing on cheeking them out again in a couple of weeks.
The good news is it is unbelievably green.

I have a friend that bow hunted around the Hart Lake area back in 2009. He ended up killing a nice bull and his partner shot one and lost it. You might look around there. He said it was the best hunt he had ever had. I've been holding out for that unit but the points for non residents keep creeping up. I think I'm at 10 now. Good Luck.

Ccreeves,
Thanks for the heads up.
I could use some luck for sure, lol.

I've been up into that area a couple of times this year already.

There doesn't seem to be much elk concentration in the Heart Lake area this year.

I'm sure hoping we'll find some once we put some boots on the ground.

Good luck on building points to draw into Unit 76 yourself!

68310img20190925122558098hdr.jpg

Update after the hunt:

After my original post, several MM members offered some insight through PM's that were greatly appreciated.
I really enjoyed each phone visit.

As mentioned previously, my 15 year old son was tagging along with me on this hunt.

We looked into some of the suggested areas and found elk in some but couldn't ever close the deal.

We actually had quite a hard time finding elk and were seeing a lot more hunters than we were expecting, even in areas away from trails.

At one point we picked a random place on the map and packed camp in about 5 miles with horses and hunted for 3 days, calling up bulls each day.
We ran out of food and had to come back out to refuel.
We decided to give those elk a rest and try somewhere else.

On September 25th in the morning, we loaded up our horses at the place our camper was located off a forest road in a dispersed area and were getting into the truck to leave when we heard a bugle up the hillside.

After a long discussion about changing plans, we went up the mountain, and after a couple hours I had called in a bull and managed a challenging 35 yard double lung shot through thick brush.

The bull only went about 80 yards before going down, leaving us with a 1 mile pack out.

Overall the hunting was enjoyable and the time spent with my son was priceless.
He's got a new found desire to pursue archery hunting.
Now we're back to hunting OTC in years to come.

Thanks to the those who took the time to send private messages and give insight, incouragement and support.
Good luck to all who are still hunting this season.

I'm running 1 point behind the curve for that tag but hoping to draw it someday and have a great hunt like yours. Way to stick with it and get a great bull and better yet with your son.

Bandit
Nice! It has been talking to you. I am headed up this afternoon on a scouting trip for 1st rifle.Hope to see one like that.

Congratulations, your hard work and persistence paid off. Great bull. Sharing it with your son makes it all the better.

Congrats on a great bull! I'm glad everything worked out so well. I know you got to enjoy some beautiful country too!

Beautiful bull. Congrats

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

You mentioned area 61, how familiar are you with that unit? Does it have big bulls? My son and I have 24 points and we are ready to go hunting.

Ccreeves,
Thanks for the heads up.
I could use some luck for sure, lol.

I've been up into that area a couple of times this year already.

There doesn't seem to be much elk concentration in the Heart Lake area this year.

I'm sure hoping we'll find some once we put some boots on the ground.

Good luck on building points to draw into Unit 76 yourself!
I put in for area 76 archery, nonresident with 15 points. I live in Ky but have hunted Co. Most of my adult life. I’m going to drive out next week and do some solo scouting. I’ll base out of Lake City. Just retired last year, so if I get a tag, I’m going to hunt the entire month. Any advice would be appreciated.

MX Rick,

Sounds like you are set to scout, seems a tad early? You will be in the running to draw but not a sure thing. Good luck. I should draw it easily this year.

Don’t be deceived by where you see elk right now. They are congregated at the snow line and are easy to find.

But that might make for a fun early season trip.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom