Unit 77-78-771 Deer

toklat

Wondering how the fourth season deer hunt south of Pagosa Springs (Valle Seco, Pagosa Junction, Cat Creek) went as far as quantity and quality. Any noticeable decline in antler growth due to drought observed?

I've been hunting 3rd season Valle Seco for years. See more and more hunters every year. Still a few good bucks that sneak through but overall it's not what it was 6-10 years ago. Going to try 4th season this year.

I hunted the 4th season in 2017 and it was rough, deer numbers were down compared to previous years. Not sure if that means the population has changed significantly or if it was due to the very mild weather we had. My old man hunted 3rd season this year, same report as far as overall numbers seemed down. We have always killed bucks there but the last two years we didn't have near as many bucks to look over when compared to previous years.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

My thoughts exactly. People complain about over crowding, lack of deer, orange everywhere, etc, etc. Then ask about specific areas, which only draws more attention.

>My thoughts exactly. People complain
>about over crowding, lack of
>deer, orange everywhere, etc, etc.
> Then ask about specific
>areas, which only draws more
>attention.

He does it a lot.

I had friends hunt 4th season in 2017 and 2018. I won't post pics since I don't have their permission (BLAAAM;-) ) but it is not an impressive area. There is a reason it takes so few points to draw it. I have saved points but am looking elsewhere for my hunt, a review doesn't get any more honest than that.

Dropem, this forum is supposed to be a sounding board to help other fellow hunters. This unit takes numerous PPs to draw and hunting conditions vary year to year which I assume you yourself would be receptive to know regarding your application strategy.
Thank-you to all the others for your candid input!

^^^ ?

The nice thing about Colorado is the points system becomes adjusted into a free-market system. The more points, the better the hunt. Sure, there are big deer in every unit, but the general rule is correct.

If 77,78,771 really had 190-200" as an expectation, rather than an exception, it wouldn't take so few points to draw late season tags.

People get lucky in every unit, every year... but there are no secret units producing big deer with low point requirements.

Grizzly

Archery? Any good? I know nothing about CO. Im in NM and looking to spread out a little as even bow tags are getting hard to draw for anything in NM.

Just now starting to look into different areas. Of course the units near the NM border have appeal for travel reasons.

Overcrowding can only come from over the counter elk hunters in the 2nd and 3rd season. Deer tags are draw only, so telling a unit # can only makes it harder to draw.

I hunted there 4th season in 2014. Hunted private land with an outfitter. Nine hunters in camp, nothing over 150 killed, several ate their tags.

Although it was 4th season there wasn't any rutting activity, wasn't any new deer migrating in. Seasons are later now, might be different.

Wondering how the fourth season deer hunt south of Pagosa Springs (Valle Seco, Pagosa Junction, Cat Creek) went as far as quantity and quality. Any noticeable decline in antler growth due to drought observed?
Not what it once was. I have hunted it a couple of times in the last 3-4 years, and was not impressed. As mentioned, LOTS of hunters, and I didn’t see any real big deer I was interested in shooting. Saw a handful of smaller 140-150 bucks, and maybe one that would have gone 160. And we hunted it hard and covered a lot of ground. Fun to be out hunting, but not a unit I would pick if my goal was to find and kill a good mature buck. Better options for that in CO

Thanks. Am sure “Dropem” and “Ridnhigh” are thrilled to hear all of your respective and informative comments!

You just read that unit is not what you thought it was?
If I can help other members regarding help in places to consider, good, bad or indifferent, I see no problem with that. It’s not like I am disclosing your or anybody’s “honey holes”!
That’s what’s wrong with these times in not offering to help your fellow hunters if you can.
As I stated previously, this forum is or should be about offering up help to others even if in a general sense!
Sorry if this offends you however, again I am sure you would appreciate any information you could acquire regarding any area you might be interested in?

No that’s where you wrong, you are disclosing honey holes the areas you mention are very small. Yeah that is what’s wrong with these times it’s not like your asking someone at the gas station how their hunt went,do a search on 77 and a hunter that has not stepped foot in an area already he’s a spot to start , that’s why you now see literally 35 trucks parked in these spots.

Yeah I enjoy getting info too but prefer a PM if IF IF someone wants to share a spot. Funny thing is you don’t ask about the spots you hunt in NM . Tell me what areas you hunt in NM and I will ask every year how the hunt went in the canyon you were hunting. That’s what I thought.. I don’t hunt that unit anymore so no worries there. I can tell you that if you do draw it you will be disappointed in what your posts have helped turn it into.

And if you do go into the non honey holes mentioned above strap some horns on . I heard the big bucks come in running wanting to fight.

It is paralleling 2B just across the border to the South. Not scientific, just my own observations. Has been disappointing for me the last several years.

It is paralleling 2B just across the border to the South. Not scientific, just my own observations. Has been disappointing for me the last several years.
Yep, I think we've all seen what people are saying about 2B lately as well

Dropem, if you don’t hunt that area anymore, “what’s the problem” with trying to help out? That shows your hypocrisy of not wanting anyone else considering acquiring information and the opportunity to hunt there? The areas inquired about are also mostly but not all, private or surrounded by private. As far as my posting questions about NM, I Only hunt the part of the state I am familiar with WHEN I am fortunate to draw a tag and that is almost never! If I were to draw a tag in NM I am not familiar with, I would do my own research and due diligence. That is why you don’t see any of my posts asking for info.
Lastly, as far as anyone getting stabbed in the back, it is me and the rest of the hunting fraternity by you for having the audacity for inquiring about info in any specific area!
Maybe I am the one that is screwed up for trying to help!

Dropem, if you don’t hunt that area anymore, “what’s the problem” with trying to help out? That shows your hypocrisy of not wanting anyone else considering acquiring information and the opportunity to hunt there? The areas inquired about are also mostly but not all, private or surrounded by private. As far as my posting questions about NM, I Only hunt the part of the state I am familiar with WHEN I am fortunate to draw a tag and that is almost never! If I were to draw a tag in NM I am not familiar with, I would do my own research and due diligence. That is why you don’t see any of my posts asking for info.
Lastly, as far as anyone getting stabbed in the back, it is me and the rest of the hunting fraternity by you for having the audacity for inquiring about info in any specific area!
Maybe I am the one that is screwed up for trying to help!
No, you’re not screwed up. Don’t let others make you feel guilty for assisting others or asking for assistance yourself.
Many of the people who’ll guilt you for asking for or sharing information have acquired their knowledge from “someone”, not on their own.
You just have to roll your eyes and move on.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom