Unit 9 Late Archery

Rona

Someone turned in their tag and I ended up with it. Lucky me I hope. It is my understanding that everything will be over tanks. It is also my understanding that there will likely be several blinds set up at each tank. What is the etiquette (if there is such a thing) regarding blinds. First to the blind? I am hoping to mortgage the house to make a scouting trip to check the area out prior to the hunt. If anyone has any info on this hunt and is willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Hope Y'all have a great 2022 elk season.

My friend and I had the late rifle tag in 2018. I showed up 6 days before the season to scout. During that time I ran into two of the archery tag holders. One was acting like it was a rut hunt and was cow calling elk. I was shocked to see some one using this tactic in November he had called in several bulls but everyone had been a raghorn. The other guy I talk to had been sitting in water with only one day left of the Hunt and hadn’t seen a bull yet. I did run some game cameras that year and there were bulls coming in the daytime but Most were nocturnal. Without being able to run cameras it would be hard to pick a water hole I believe there’s like 80 fish and game drinkers there plus dirt tanks. I would spot and stalk the morning sit water in the evening. I saw bulls every day during scouting and our hunt till we tagged out. But I’ve spent a lot of time in there from archery deer to deer tags to elk tags and shed hunting. As far as blind etiquette I would say bring your own and get to the water hole first if that’s where you wanna hunt. Good luck post pictures of success! And if there’s some white stuff on the ground they’re probably not gonna come running to water!
3DC5DBD5-C545-4303-BB3E-852C7EEA492B.jpeg

Last edited:
Personally, I would track elk from water towards their bedding areas. Set up on their trail about a mile from the water. Most of the bulls should be on a regular pattern. Since the majority of bulls drink after dark or just before dawn you'll be in a better ambush spot closer to their bedding area. And you'll get away from human traffic too.

My friend and I had the late rifle tag in 2018. I showed up 6 days before the season to scout. During that time I ran into two of the archery tag holders. One was acting like it was a rut hunt and was cow calling elk. I was shocked to see some one using this tactic in November he had called in several bulls but everyone had been a raghorn. The other guy I talk to had been sitting in water with only one day left of the Hunt and hadn’t seen a bull yet. I did run some game cameras that year and there were bulls coming in the daytime but Most were nocturnal. Without being able to run cameras it would be hard to pick a water hole I believe there’s like 80 fish and game drinkers there plus dirt tanks. I would spot and stalk the morning sit water in the evening. I saw bulls every day during scouting and our hunt till we tagged out. But I’ve spent a lot of time in there from archery deer to deer tags to elk tags and shed hunting. As far as blind etiquette I would say bring your own and get to the water hole first if that’s where you wanna hunt. Good luck post pictures of success! And if there’s some white stuff on the ground they’re probably not gonna come running to water!View attachment 80529
Thanks for the info. Sorry for the late response but life got a bit hectic. Looking forward to this hunt. Hope to have some pics to share soon.

Personally, I would track elk from water towards their bedding areas. Set up on their trail about a mile from the water. Most of the bulls should be on a regular pattern. Since the majority of bulls drink after dark or just before dawn you'll be in a better ambush spot closer to their bedding area. And you'll get away from human traffic too.
Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for late response. Hope I can share some pics.

I would hunt them like desert muleys. Get high and glass and sit water if that doesn't work. But then again I am not a very good elk hunter. Don't know if you are familiar with the unit but be ready for any type of weather. The archery hunts are a bit earlier than the general but with unit 9 weather anything is possible

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom