Unit 9 Youth Encouragement ELk

nmyotebuster

Good Morning MM'ers

I am taking out the young man I have been mentoring, and was just wondering if anyone has some pointers for the Unit 9 youth Muzzie cow hunt this weekend.

I hunted 9 for first archery, and spent more time swimming, sliding, and digging than chasing elk.

If you have hunted there recently ( Muzzleloader or Rifle ), are there any road closures, wash outs, mud bogs that I should be aware of?

I am driving a Jeep Wrangler and have chains, but would still prefer spending more time putting boot leather down rather than digging the vehicle out.

Thanks in advance, and I want to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and joyous holiday season.

--NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Thanks Hunting1!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roads were good where we were, wedid not see a lot of sign up high, got a cow on antelope flats, did a lot of walking!

Hey I have that same hunt this weekend! My grandad and I are gonna be out there probably up around FR 555. We had a muzzle loader hunt up there mid October and it was nice, nice roads and no issues. Should be fine. We'll be in. Yellow jeep wrangler and white f250. Feel free to stop by if ya see us!

Good Luck 505hunter!

We will be in a black jeep wrangler with a rack on the top, and on the rear bumper.

If you need anything feel free to stop by yourself.

NMYB

Unfortunately for us, it was a skunking.
PB303125_zpsf2855fc5.jpg

No elk, no sign, all the tanks were frozen solid, and 90% of the roads were gumbo/mud.
PB293114_zps1882425c.jpg

Covered 6+ miles before noon on Friday all on foot to different tanks because I was worried about getting stuck. On saturday it was 9 miles on foot before noon.

PB303142_zpsa2e4cffc.jpg

PB303134_zps02b2adb4.jpg

We called it quits after Saturday night ended with us taking a couple folks back to their camp, after spending an hour or so trying/assisting to get their truck unstuck. ( there was NO way I was taking my jeep down there because when i walked the road to them, the mud was 6" deep with just my body weight )

Used my hi-lift to get the pumpkin out of the mud, but after stacking 18 or so inches of rocks under their tires, and then lowering the truck back down all it did was push the rocks deep in to the mud and the pumpkin was right back where it started.

They hoped to try to get out when it froze overnight.

As a warning to other folks who may be hunting there, DON'T take the road north at the bottom of Colorado Canyon, the ruts are deeper than 33" tires can take.

All other hunters I talked to had seen zero as well.

Haven't heard from 505, though I did get to meet he and his grandfather as we drove around.

--NMYB

unit 9 has been dessimated by all the cow tags. the remaining elk are on private or reservation. few scraglers on public....pretty poor hunting there anymore.

Yeah that unit is in bad shape, it used to be a good unit for opportunity, but they have killed off way to many. Time to really slow the hunting down in that unit or put it on hold for a couple years. Hope they recognize this.

Nmyotebuster,
We did not see anything up there. It was a constant mud bogging experience, felt like I was drifting half the time. Saw one turkey.
Oh and the truck you tried helping get unstuck, we pulled them out the next morning. Saw 8 bulls out in the flats, two of the biggest ones I've ever seen at Mt. Taylor, but that's it. Not a single sign of a cow, even in our remote spots. Oh well.
Very nice meeting nmyotebuster and his son. Such a great time being able to meet the folks from this forum!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom