Unit 9

S

star

My boy has his first ML tag for cow in unit 9,just wondering if anyone has any luck so far.Hopfully will be camped below Bear Mouth. thanks ..

Where is bear mouth? We just got back from my dads mobility impaired hunt this evening. Let me know where it is because the map we had wasnt too great. I'll let you know what we saw after that.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-08 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Star- You may be to low I would hit that in the later hunts. I leave tomorrow for my bull hunt up there I will let you know what I see.

Moss- How was that hunt were the bulls getting after it or have they shutdown?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-08 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]They are still bugling a little, but they are shutting down. My dad had a chance towards Ignacio Chavez Grant yesterday at 150 yards but overjudged the distance and shot over his back. That is where we saw most of the elk we saw. We heard them up high but it is too thick and we couldnt see them and they wouldnt come in to calls. Really couldnt get out and walk as my dad is mobility impaired, he has a titanium plate in his neck, congestive heart failure and diabetes, so the walking was limited to short, flat walks.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-08 AT 12:59PM (MST)[p]So did you all stay around the powerlines mostly or did you venture back near blm? I hear you about how thick it is on the main.

We hunted everything in between there. We saw elk pretty much everywhere in the area. Ill send you a PM of specific areas.

Star, My daughter and I just got back to Louisiana last night around 10:00. She got a nice 4x4 on Tuesday morn (I'll post pics and story later). We did most of our hunting off of FR 555 and up around Boulder tank. We were into elk every day and had lots of fun. For her elk, we turned right on FR 555 (off of FR 239) and took it just about to the Floyd Lee Ranch fence. Just before you get to the FLR fence you can turn right and follow that road to another cross section fence with a gate. If you continue on the road it will take you to Ranger tank. Right at the fence and gate is a tank and she got her bull about 1/2 mile past there. There were a couple of cows with the two bulls and also other elk around. People were seeing some large herds in that area. Also had some sightings around Boulder tank where we watched a cow and calf for about 15 minutes one evening. Calf decided it wanted to be in the middle of the tank and play. Quiet a show.

As for overall hunt. Lots of fun. Also saw lots of bulls taken out of that area.

Have fun and good luck...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom