Unit 90

HuntLife17

I feel fortunate to have drawn a 90-1 deer tag this year and have been spending a considerable amount of time planning and e-scouting. I recognize many people think this unit has gone downhill, but then again, what units haven’t been struggling in WY. Anyway, I’m still super excited to get to hunt an area in which I believe hunter pressure will be minimal compared to what I’m used to. My GoogleEarth scouting indicates the terrain is crisscrossed with two tracks, so I also don’t anticipate not seeing anyone for the week I am out there either. Im planning on camping out of my vehicle, doing a bit of hiking each day, and glassing from any of the 6 areas I’ve picked out so far that I believe would be good places to spend the day searching for deer. My main questions are around weather expectations, primarily toward the middle of October, and whether the general areas I’ve located are likely to be overrun with other hunters. I know all about posting on the internet so please don’t respond with details here, would definitely prefer a Pm from anyone who is familiar with the unit and doesn’t mind listening to my general thoughts.

The more obvious areas that have the best deer terrain likely have the greatest hunting pressure. With that said a whopper can be found just about anywhere in the unit.

If you see a plane flying low searching for deer be sure to get the ID numbers and report them to the sheriff and game warden.

Be prepared for gumbo mud! It can limit access! Also, be aware that if it snows and blows you could get stranded by deep drifts. Prepare for the worse conditions and weather!

The more obvious areas that have the best deer terrain likely have the greatest hunting pressure. With that said a whopper can be found just about anywhere in the unit.

If you see a plane flying low searching for deer be sure to get the ID numbers and report them to the sheriff and game warden.

Be prepared for gumbo mud! It can limit access! Also, be aware that if it snows and blows you could get stranded by deep drifts. Prepare for the worse conditions and weather!
Thanks for the info. Due to my work schedule it’s beginning to look like I’ll be out there early in the season. Don’t know whether I should hope for nice weather so I can have a more enjoyable time camping out or inclement weather to maybe get the deer up and moving a bit more than they may usually be during the early part of the season.

Interesting comment about the plane and I’m sure it happens. Is there someone in the central WY area who has a tendency to do aerial scouting/locating using that method or is that just a general comment specific to all western states?

I was buzzed by a plane during the season and it was obvious he was circling all over the country searching for bucks. There is a landing strip where they were landing clients with a truck waiting to pick them up and take them to bucks. Not cool!

The weather can turn any time during the season so be prepared. Most of the roads are a mucky mess when wet.

The guy who flies out there is a large landowner. He's not flying for deer. He is looking for trespassers and checking his cattle. He owns a fixed wing plane and a helicopter. Last I heard, he was pretty reasonable on trespass fee. I don't think he owns a lot of land in 90. He owns more in 89 and north of the highway.

The plane I saw was buzzing and circling super low on public land. Definitely looking for deer and not checking cattle or hunters! There wasnt any private around. He also had a truck or 2 waiting at the runway. I saw the same trucks running up and down roads searching for bucks.

There is no doubt in my mind I know what they were doing and it wasnt legal! Anyone in 90 during the season be sure to take pics and video and write down the planes number and report them!!!! There are a couple runways in 90. If you see wind flags up you know they are likely flying!

The plane I saw was buzzing and circling super low on public land. Definitely looking for deer and not checking cattle or hunters! There wasnt any private around. He also had a truck or 2 waiting at the runway. I saw the same trucks running up and down roads searching for bucks.

There is no doubt in my mind I know what they were doing and it wasnt legal! Anyone in 90 during the season be sure to take pics and video and write down the planes number and report them!!!! There are a couple runways in 90. If you see wind flags up you know they are likely flying!
How else do you get to the runway. Seems reasonable to drive there and leave your truck.

Did you not own a phone with a camera? Did you call anyone? No binoculars? You didn't get a license plate? Was the runways on BLM?

Also, BLM & state is usually leased by the surrounding landowner for grazing.

Last edited:

I’m sure you pulled out your VHS video camcorder and took evidence? And turned them in right?

Rhetorical questions btw

Yep I’m always the bad guy aren’t I! If anyone is in 90 keep an eye out for this illegal activity! It’s a bunch of crap what these guys are getting away with!

PXL_20220803_163449651.PORTRAIT.jpg

Maybe this one?

Where can I order one of those? Don’t know about anyone else but if I see some 3x genetics like that out in 90, that’s fine by me.

Stepping past the potential for low flying aircraft, can anyone recommend any general tips for a sage country hunt in early October that I may not be thinking about. I am aware that the weather can be variable so best to be prepared for anything. But based on what I’ve seen, I’m anticipating daily highs in the 70 range with overnight lows into the 50s. That being said, are snakes a concern that time of year? I would think yes, especially if I’m going to be spending my time hiking and glassing. But, I recognize most people roll around on 4xs out there and for them it wouldn’t be as much of a thought. If snakes are out, not sure I want to be bivvying out on the ground and would be better suited to pack a tent.

I also have Verizon coverage and based on their mapping, it seems like most of the unit should be covered by Verizon. I spoke to the warden a few weeks back and he indicated gas hills road should be good for calls and obviously Riverton. But, I’m planning on staying out for the week and am kind of banking on being able to get on some high stuff and maybe get enough service to check the weather. Does that sound possible?

The middle of the month in that area is the worst time to hunt. They've already been pressured and not thinking about rut yet. If you're not hunting the last week you are screwing up.
I was initially hoping to hit the last week of the season thinking that the deer may be on the move in daylight a bit more than the earlier parts of October, but it looks like between my wife’s and my work schedules that not possible. So I was planning on mid month instead but recently figured that the first week immediately after the opener is probably the best timing wise for me. I imagine a good amount of deer tag guys will be out opening weekend but I’m hoping I can get in some areas during the week that didn’t seen much activity during that initial burst and hopefully haven’t been run over by guys looking for elk.

I was initially hoping to hit the last week of the season thinking that the deer may be on the move in daylight a bit more than the earlier parts of October, but it looks like between my wife’s and my work schedules that not possible. So I was planning on mid month instead but recently figured that the first week immediately after the opener is probably the best timing wise for me. I imagine a good amount of deer tag guys will be out opening weekend but I’m hoping I can get in some areas during the week that didn’t seen much activity during that initial burst and hopefully haven’t been run over by guys looking for elk.
Hunt the last week. **** work. Your name is huntlife not worklife. And what does your wife’s schedule have anything to do with it? Kids? Tell her to nut up. If she can’t do it take the kids with you. I am not joking. Get it done!

If work gives you grief give your two weeks. I promise you no matter what you do you will easily find a job. And likely for more money. Call their bluff.

You didn’t pick the hunting life, the hunting life picked you!!!

If work gives you grief give your two weeks. I promise you no matter what you do you will easily find a job. And likely for more money. Call their bluff.

Haha. I’m digging your enthusiasm! I noticed you didn’t mention anything about my wife leaving and taking my 1.5 yr old away from me for just telling her I’m going whenever I want and she better just nut up haha. But yeah, the more I hear and think about it, I think the last week is definitely the way to go if I can swing it. The only reason I think the first week may make sense is because the chances for more comfortable weather are then, but you never know with that western weather when it’s gonna change for the worse or better. So may as well plan to hit it when the bucks may be a little more active throughout the day.

Haha. I’m digging your enthusiasm! I noticed you didn’t mention anything about my wife leaving and taking my 1.5 yr old away from me for just telling her I’m going whenever I want and she better just nut up haha. But yeah, the more I hear and think about it, I think the last week is definitely the way to go if I can swing it. The only reason I think the first week may make sense is because the chances for more comfortable weather are then, hunter but you never know with that western weather when it’s gonna change for the worse or better. So may as well plan to hit it when the bucks may be a little more active throughout the day.
Better your wife leave you now than 15 years from now. Are you a sheep hunter? Your kid isn’t 1.5, they are 1. Take them hunting. I took a 9 month old 7 miles back on a trail. Stop making excuses. Take ‘em hunting. Give your wife a break and it will pay dividends.

Bring your coyote gun. A crying baby will call in the yotes. Trust me on this. Two words. Ear muffs. Not sure what muffs to get the kid. Well you came to the right place @JakeH hook a brother up…

Any more problems you want me to solve?

Better your wife leave you now than 15 years from now. Are you a sheep hunter? Your kid isn’t 1.5, they are 1. Take them hunting. I took a 9 month old 7 miles back on a trail. Stop making excuses. Take ‘em hunting. Give your wife a break and it will pay dividends.

Bring your coyote gun. A crying baby will call in the yotes. Trust me on this. Two words. Ear muffs. Not sure what muffs to get the kid. Well you came to the right place @JakeH hook a brother up…

Any more problems you want me to solve?
All sage advice.

Any idea what the next mega millions winning combo will be? I’d take the answer to that one any day.

All sage advice.

Any idea what the next mega millions winning combo will be? I’d take the answer to that one any day.
Seriously. Hunt the last week. Well...if you want a big muley, that is. Weather be damned. Bring chains and shovels. Who knows? Maybe it'll actually be nice!

Seriously. Hunt the last week. Well...if you want a big muley, that is. Weather be damned. Bring chains and shovels. Who knows? Maybe it'll actually be nice!
Appreciate the advice. It sounds like hunting the last week is the way to go if you don’t have a specific buck pretty locked down early in the season. Does anyone know how well the main roads are taken care of out that way? I’d assume that after snowfall the paved roads get cleared but the gravel county roads are probably where it gets a bit trickier. I don’t have a 4 wheeler so I’m going to be hiking in regardless, but just trying to game plan on whether I may have trouble even getting to some of the car drop points I’ve selected if the weather turns nasty.

Public roads in that vicinity get plenty of travel that time of year.
This^^^

Public roads in that vicinity get plenty of travel that time of year.

This^^^
Good to know. Would be a bummer if I couldn’t get within miles of the areas I plan to hunt with my vehicle, let alone on my own two feet. But, if for some reason weather keeps me out, guess I probably won’t be the only one.

If the weather is warm and the roads are wet from rain or melting snow it can tough access off blacktop on many of the dirt roads. Some of the main oilfield roads that are gravel are usually fine. Drifting deep snow can be tough as well. It’s hard to say what conditions will exist early or late in the season. The wind howls in that country so sometimes snow and mud don’t last.

I’ve actually seen some great bucks off major roads that the majority of hunters drive by. There aren’t that many tags issued and there is a lot of country that hardly sees a hunter. Some of those areas have extremely low deer numbers so it can take an incredible amount of time and patience to find them….especially older age class bucks with more than a 3 pt frame. Everyone knows my opinion on this and other high demand deer units with poor 3x genetics and the high prevalence/% of 3 pt framed bucks.

If the weather is warm and the roads are wet from rain or melting snow it can tough access off blacktop on many of the dirt roads. Some of the main oilfield roads that are gravel are usually fine. Drifting deep snow can be tough as well. It’s hard to say what conditions will exist early or late in the season. The wind howls in that country so sometimes snow and mud don’t last.

I’ve actually seen some great bucks off major roads that the majority of hunters drive by. There aren’t that many tags issued and there is a lot of country that hardly sees a hunter. Some of those areas have extremely low deer numbers so it can take an incredible amount of time and patience to find them….especially older age class bucks with more than a 3 pt frame. Everyone knows my opinion on this and other high demand deer units with poor 3x genetics and the high prevalence/% of 3 pt framed bucks.
Appreciate the insight. I’m planning on just parking a bit further away from the spots I plan to check out if the weather turns bad or starts to look iffy. No use in ruining the hunt by getting stuck in a drift, mud pit, or some craziness.

Makes sense especially planning where you are going to camp out. Just keep an eye on the weather and prepare for the worse conditions and you ought to be fine.

Last edited:
It'd be really rare to not be able to get around that country in October unless you don't have a real truck or don't wanna try very hard

Last edited:
It'd be really rare to not be able to get around that country in October unless you don't have a real truck or don't wanna try very hard
Good to know. That’s fine by me if that holds true for this year. But, if there’s some crazy off-pattern weather, I’ll at least be able to make good use of the hiking legs I’ve been working on haha.

Good to know. That’s fine by me if that holds true for this year. But, if there’s some crazy off-pattern weather, I’ll at least be able to make good use of the hiking legs I’ve been working on haha.
I've seen some october snow storms shut those roads out after it drifts but it's not common. Bring a shovel and chains and the will to get where you need to get

I am unsure if this is getting too detailed, but am curious if elevation plays much of a role in a deer’s day to day? Across the entire unit there’s only a couple thousand feet of difference, so my assumption is that weather doesn’t really push them down like you may see in more mountainous terrain. And since the surrounding units are relatively similar, I imagine it’s just more of “you find them where you find them” as opposed to any kind of seasonal shift.

You would be surprised how a 6"+ snowstorm with blizzard type winds will move deer in 90. If you've spent time in 90 during the late fall/winter you know exactly what I'm talking about! Obviously some regions in 90 have more movement or migration than others.

Open country bucks often move due to several factors....not just weather. Where you find 20 to 30 bucks every day in velvet you may find 0 once they shed their velvet. It definitely doesn't take snow and weather to move them. Smart ole mossy horn bucks always tend to move and disappear into thin air once they shed their velvet....even in what appears to be super open country. Hunting pressure may also blow them totally out of an area. Mature bucks in 90 know exactly what's going on and where to move once they shed their velvet.

Older age class bucks may not reappear until hunting pressure subsides and the rut really kicks in. The rut and location of does is a major factor of where you may find them late in the season. They may not be with does during daylight hours but they may not be too terribly far away.

They can move 10 to 20+ miles from where they are found every day during the summer in 90. However, if a mature buck feels safe he may stay within the same tall sage/greasewood patch or hidden draw for the entire hunting season. You would be amazed at how little the bigger bucks in 90 move from the time they shed their velvet through the hunting season. The bigger bucks in 90 generally don't grow old by showing themselves and moving around much in that open country.

Deer densities are relatively low to very low in parts of 90 so it may take a heck of a lot of time and hours glassing to find the mature bucks that exist....especially if you want a mature buck with a 4x frame!

Last edited:

That’s what I did for my sheep hunt and left for my sheep hunt knowing I had a new job to come back to with more pay! I work to hunt, not live to work haha

That’s what I did for my sheep hunt and left for my sheep hunt knowing I had a new job to come back to with more pay! I work to hunt, not live to work haha
Exactly! And you shot a nice ram! Ram > job any day of the week.

@HuntLife17 take notes from Brad. Hunt the last week. Shoot a trophy buck. Find a new job (and possible wife)

No excuses!

Yeah I’m happy with him and excited to call him mine. Sorry I wasn’t able to meet up with you I was over by birch wood airport. Much the less I will be up there next year so I will meet up with you maybe catch a fishing boat together.
Exactly! And you shot a nice ram! Ram > job any day of the week.

@HuntLife17 take notes from Brad. Hunt the last week. Shoot a trophy buck. Find a new job (and possible wife)

No excuses!

A wife, job, and 1 1/2 year old kid are pretty high priority to most hunters....even hardcore hunters! I guess that's why some hardcore hunters are divorced, single, practically jobless, and homeless? Being happily married with a 1 1/2 year old can be rough but definitely worth compromising on time away from home. You probably know more than anyone sitting behind a computer what works best for you, your family, and your job!

Be sure to take full advantage of the days (and hours) you have available and hunt super hard and smart! Take advantage of every minute of every day you are hunting! Keep a positive attitude even when things look bad. Things can change SO quickly for the best on any hunt!

Obviously weather is a gamble but my guess is that you'll see more bucks in fewer days later in the season. I usually keep a written scouting and hunting log on many of my hunts....including game cam photos. I can pretty much guarantee the toughest time in the entire year to find older age class bucks is from the time they shed velvet until the time rut starts kicking in. Just be well prepared for the worse weather and conditions and you'll do fine if you hunt late!

A wife, job, and 1 1/2 year old kid are pretty high priority to most hunters....even hardcore hunters! I guess that's why some hardcore hunters are divorced, single, practically jobless, and homeless? Being happily married with a 1 1/2 year old can be rough but definitely worth compromising on time away from home. You probably know more than anyone sitting behind a computer what works best for you, your family, and your job!

Be sure to take full advantage of the days (and hours) you have available and hunt super hard and smart! Take advantage of every minute of every day you are hunting! Keep a positive attitude even when things look bad. Things can change SO quickly for the best on any hunt!

Obviously weather is a gamble but my guess is that you'll see more bucks in fewer days later in the season. I usually keep a written scouting and hunting log on many of my hunts....including game cam photos. I can pretty much guarantee the toughest time in the entire year to find older age class bucks is from the time they shed velvet until the time rut starts kicking in. Just be well prepared for the worse weather and conditions and you'll do fine if you hunt late!
Well said jims....

My excitement is at an all time high and getting higher every day. 4pm Thursday I’ll be hitting the road West solo. 5 hours on the road should put me at my sister and BILs place where I’ll spend the night before getting up early and continuing the trek. Looks like about a 25 hour drive total without stops, so I’m planning on getting in at least 10 hours behind the wheel each day for the next 2 days to hopefully put me in 90 while it’s still light enough out to get my bearings Saturday evening. The weather forecast for Sunday and Monday looks great to me…pretty big cool off temperature wise so hopefully that’ll get the deer on their feet a bit more during daylight. I think by this point I’ve about worn out both Google Earth and BaseMap with all the scrolling around I’ve been doing trying to get a lay of the land. I can’t wait.

The longest I’ve ever driven solo in 1 day is 13 hours and that was a one time thing start to destination. I’m not sure if a fiver and then 2 10s is going to be worse or not…guess I’ll find out. Does anyone have any tips or techniques for not going crazy on such a long haul?. Every other Western hunt I’ve been on has had at least 1 other driver so while it still sucks, at least you can stare out the window or nap if needed.

I feel fortunate to have drawn a 90-1 deer tag this year and have been spending a considerable amount of time planning and e-scouting. I recognize many people think this unit has gone downhill, but then again, what units haven’t been struggling in WY. Anyway, I’m still super excited to get to hunt an area in which I believe hunter pressure will be minimal compared to what I’m used to. My GoogleEarth scouting indicates the terrain is crisscrossed with two tracks, so I also don’t anticipate not seeing anyone for the week I am out there either. Im planning on camping out of my vehicle, doing a bit of hiking each day, and glassing from any of the 6 areas I’ve picked out so far that I believe would be good places to spend the day searching for deer. My main questions are around weather expectations, primarily toward the middle of October, and whether the general areas I’ve located are likely to be overrun with other hunters. I know all about posting on the internet so please don’t respond with details here, would definitely prefer a Pm from anyone who is familiar with the unit and doesn’t mind listening to my general thoughts.
My excitement is at an all time high and getting higher every day. 4pm Thursday I’ll be hitting the road West solo. 5 hours on the road should put me at my sister and BILs place where I’ll spend the night before getting up early and continuing the trek. Looks like about a 25 hour drive total without stops, so I’m planning on getting in at least 10 hours behind the wheel each day for the next 2 days to hopefully put me in 90 while it’s still light enough out to get my bearings Saturday evening. The weather forecast for Sunday and Monday looks great to me…pretty big cool off temperature wise so hopefully that’ll get the deer on their feet a bit more during daylight. I think by this point I’ve about worn out both Google Earth and BaseMap with all the scrolling around I’ve been doing trying to get a lay of the land. I can’t wait.

The longest I’ve ever driven solo in 1 day is 13 hours and that was a one time thing start to destination. I’m not sure if a fiver and then 2 10s is going to be worse or not…guess I’ll find out. Does anyone have any tips or techniques for not going crazy on such a long haul?. Every other Western hunt I’ve been on has had at least 1 other driver so while it still sucks, at least you can stare out the window or nap if needed.
Best of Luck in 90 deer ! Exciting place to hunt & some big bucks if you get lucky ? enough to locate them. I spent 2 weeks in 90 some years ago hunting big antelope out of my RV Pull Trailer Camper. My wife scored on an 80 “ buck, I ran out of time and ate tag soup.
I saw deer every AM & PM along the road on the rim going west . Quite a good number too. Plus there were water ? ponds coming out on the roads out of the Old Uranium Mine- could not see them until you got very close to them- saw several big bucks at these ponds that had just watered. Overall a fun place to hunt both antelope & deer if you had the tags. Very few hunters there too. We had the country to ourselves after 1 st few days of the season.
Best Wishes,
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado

Does anyone have any tips or techniques for not going crazy on such a long haul?. Every other Western hunt I’ve been on has had at least 1 other driver so while it still sucks, at least you can stare out the window or nap if needed.
Mule Deer Podcasts! You could make it in 2 days :)

Epic Outdoors, Rokslide, Meateater has a couple on mule deer....

I’ve driven 18 hours 1 way several times to fish the Great Lakes. I usually drive until I am pooped and then get up early the next day and start up again. The nice thing about driving later in the day and night is there are generally fewer truckers on the highway which is more relaxing. Also quicker getting through work zones with 1 lane traffic. I usually can’t wait to get to my destination and have actually driven straight through by myself several times. It usually takes a couple days to recover though.

Have a great time and good luck!

Best of Luck in 90 deer ! Exciting place to hunt & some big bucks if you get lucky ? enough to locate them. I spent 2 weeks in 90 some years ago hunting big antelope out of my RV Pull Trailer Camper. My wife scored on an 80 “ buck, I ran out of time and ate tag soup.
I saw deer every AM & PM along the road on the rim going west . Quite a good number too. Plus there were water ? ponds coming out on the roads out of the Old Uranium Mine- could not see them until you got very close to them- saw several big bucks at these ponds that had just watered. Overall a fun place to hunt both antelope & deer if you had the tags. Very few hunters there too. We had the country to ourselves after 1 st few days of the season.
Best Wishes,
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado
Thank you! Sounds like you had a good trip even if you both didn’t fill tags. That sounds like exactly what I’m looking/hoping for with this hunt…the ability to see some animals and hopefully connect with a good buck.

Mule Deer Podcasts! You could make it in 2 days :)

Epic Outdoors, Rokslide, Meateater has a couple on mule deer....
Good call, I’ll definitely have to remember that. I’ve never listened to too many podcasts but this would definitely be a good opportunity to check them out.

I’ve driven 18 hours 1 way several times to fish the Great Lakes. I usually drive until I am pooped and then get up early the next day and start up again. The nice thing about driving later in the day and night is there are generally fewer truckers on the highway which is more relaxing. Also quicker getting through work zones with 1 lane traffic. I usually can’t wait to get to my destination and have actually driven straight through by myself several times. It usually takes a couple days to recover though.

Have a great time and good luck!
Good tips. That’s another nice thing about driving out on Friday and through the weekend…hopefully avoid construction work, rush hour, etc.

I think the drive out will definitely be easier than the drive back since I’ll spend half my time daydreaming about the hunt. I’ll definitely need to try and moderate myself though cause I don’t want the drive to take it all out of me and then be too worn out to focus the first day of hunting.

Thanks!

It also sounds like you are coming from lower elevation? Even most of the high desert country is 6,000 to 7,500’ elevation so keep in mind to drink lots of water and acclimate a bit. Especially when you first arrive.

It also sounds like you are coming from lower elevation? Even most of the high desert country is 6,000 to 7,500’ elevation so keep in mind to drink lots of water and acclimate a bit. Especially when you first arrive.
Thanks for the tip. You’re right, I’ll be coming from about 2,000 ft elevation so it’ll be a bit of an adjustment but I don’t anticipate struggling too much with it. I was out in SW CO for a mule deer hunt back in 2020 and most of our hunting was right in the 6,500 - 7,500 ft range if I recall and I don’t remember having too much difficulty. Of course I was a couple years younger then and probably in just a little better shape haha. Anyway, hopefully the air change doesn’t set me back too much. Appreciate it.

Another little tip. Leave the alcohol for celebrating the trophy. Drinking at night probably knocks off 10% of my friend's performance in the hills, when they come from sea level up here!!

Another little tip. Leave the alcohol for celebrating the trophy. Drinking at night probably knocks off 10% of my friend's performance in the hills, when they come from sea level up here!!
Appreciate the advise. I put a few back now and then but not planning on taking anything with me this go around. Being limited to hanging out at/sleeping in my vehicle doesn’t really sound like my kind of party haha. Definitely something to keep in mind for future hunts that I hope I can share with others though.

Alright, it’s time for the obligatory post-hunt recap. WARNING: it’s a pretty short hunting story.

First, I want to thank the contributors to this thread as well as the people who PM’d me and were willing to discuss their experience in the unit and provide some general deer tips to a novice muley hunter from the East. I hardly got GPS coordinates from anyone, however, I considered all information provided in an effort to ensure I was on the right track as far as unit expectations, weather, etc.

My plan was to drive out solo starting after work and arrive by the evening two full days later, hunt 4 solid days, then return home in time for a family vacation. Total drive time one way is 25 hours and I wanted to allocate plenty of time for stops. However, in the pre hunt excitement, I crushed the drive and got to the unit after only 29 hours on the road. The first thing I found out is that the terrain changes were much larger than they appeared on both Google earth and HuntStand app mapping. This was just due to my inexperience with that kind of open terrain. What I thought were small rolling drainages sometimes ended up having vertical walls the I couldn’t get up and over. Not exactly the best to find that out in the dark of a morning hunt, but it happens. So, I had to detour numerous times to cross the terrain.

The morning I got my buck, the wind was ripping so I was hunkered down behind a rock to break the wind and allow me to be steady while glassing. After a couple hours, the only activity I saw were cows down on the sage flats. Also, the views I had weren’t exactly what I had envisioned so I got up and planned to walk a quarter mile or so and get a better angle into some draws I couldn’t see into. I had made it a couple hundred yards when I happened to spot what appeared to be white specks in a draw a pretty good ways off. After confirming they were deer with my binos I set up my spotter and took a look. Where I was, the wind made it impossible to get a steady look but I could see at least 2 bucks with solid frames but couldn’t see any detail beyond that. My rangefinder tops out at 1000 yards and it wasn’t picking them up. So I ranged some rock about halfway between us and it read 780. So I figured I could close the distance without too much trouble and began to quickly move in by using the terrain for cover.

I finally got good eyes on them at about 450 yards. However, while they were feeding they were heading toward the top of a drainage and I figured if I didn’t hurry they might go over the and then I’d need to figure out something else…if I could even find them again. I know some people may think 450 is a chip shot, but for this Eastern whitetail hunter out there is the whipping wind, I would have just been lobbing rounds. So I dropped back down and was able to work toward them so more. Next time I saw them I was within 100 yards. 1 doe, a 3x4, and a 4x5. The 3x4 was a beauty, big boxy frame with tips a couple inches past his ears, but his rack was a bit thin. Then there was the 3x5. A bit narrower but lots of mass and that 5th point was really cool. After a couple minutes I got a clean shot on the 3x5. Turns out he had a little bit of leftover velvet which I also thought was cool. Then came the work of getting him cut up and back to my vehicle about 3 miles away. I’m a young guy but I am still feeling it a few days later.

Even with the low deer density and having long periods of not much to look at, I walked away with a good buck so I couldn’t be happier with how things turned out.

A9B19B59-4832-4634-A31D-195FEDB5B3C9.jpeg

4D98F289-AF46-4741-A4AD-9A87BA1C45AF.jpeg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom