Unit Advice - Coming Down to the Wire

jschaffer

Morning all... I have opted to cash in the AZ points and hunt elk this year. Just can't keep chasing units I won't ever catch up to. I would rather hunt. So I have been doing my research and talking to quite a few folks. I have it narrowed down, but just like when I go out to eat, making the final decision is tuff!

I am in fine shape, would have a goal of a 320" - 340" bull, and want to experience the AZ elk rut. So encounters are what I am after and that experience. May do DIY or guided, not sure yet.

My units I am looking at and feel I can draw with 16 points are 7W Early Archery, 27 Early Archery, 22S Early Muzzy, or 5BN Early Archery. If you were hunting this coming fall, between those units, which one would get your nod?

Thanks!

Morning all... I have opted to cash in the AZ points and hunt elk this year. Just can't keep chasing units I won't ever catch up to. I would rather hunt. So I have been doing my research and talking to quite a few folks. I have it narrowed down, but just like when I go out to eat, making the final decision is tuff!

I am in fine shape, would have a goal of a 320" - 340" bull, and want to experience the AZ elk rut. So encounters are what I am after and that experience. May do DIY or guided, not sure yet.

My units I am looking at and feel I can draw with 16 points are 7W Early Archery, 27 Early Archery, 22S Early Muzzy, or 5BN Early Archery. If you were hunting this coming fall, between those units, which one would get your nod?

Thanks!
7w and 5bn are close to Flagstaff. I've been told the human activity can affect the daylight rut intensity. 27 might be the better bet for bugles. All 3 of those units have the class of bulls you are looking for. I have 16 nr also.I am waiting for 2003 unless I get real lucky and draw 9

The 5bn has later dates this yr as you prolly know. I think 27 may have the best top end potential but it’s w a bow. The 22 south may be your best to actually kill a bull since u have a gun although I’m not real certain on the potential

7w and 5bn are close to Flagstaff. I've been told the human activity can affect the daylight rut intensity. 27 might be the better bet for bugles. All 3 of those units have the class of bulls you are looking for. I have 16 nr also.I am waiting for 2003 unless I get real lucky and draw 9
Thanks much for the perspective. I have been trying to balance the elk interactions with the people interactions and quality or opportunity. Even with reduced tags, 5BN has a lot of elk, but also a lot of people in it from what I have been told.

Jay Scott has some pretty good podcast on different units and opportunities in AZ, might help you decide what direction to go.

Resident or non-resident?

Non-Resident. I have 16 points.

Really I am leaning to trying the 22S Muzzy as my first choice and an archery hunt as second. Currently those would still be 27, 5BN, and 7W. Still a little concerned that, like 22S muzzy, I may be right on the cusp of drawing or not in 27 and 7W. I should draw, but with point creep and high point holders shifting units or jumping in, it is hard to know what will happen.

For example, historically you could count on drawing 5BN early archery with 12 points. Given the late dates this year, no gun/muzzy hunt before, my guess is that is going to jump to require 14 or 15 points to draw this year.

Thanks!
If you decide to try and draw unit 27 i would highly recommend you give Justin Erhart a call from Premium Hunts. He just did a podcast with Jaysscottoutdoors recently.
My 2019 unit 27 bull i hunted with Premium Hunts

12E1E9A2-B73B-430D-AD8B-EDC485F6C1D0.jpeg

My vote would go to Unit 27, excellent elk unit, & get a very good guide too. Looking at a very rare & unique opportunity ! A great guide is worth every $ to do it right 1 st time & likely only time. Come a bit early to get used to the elevation there ! I lived in Flagstaff quite a few years, a sign at the Walkup Sky Dome football stadium there, Elevation 7,000 feet-- catch your breath ! They are so correct ! Best Wishes & Great Huntung--Jerry Gold, Fort Collins, Colorado ?

Thanks!
Love to hear what you decide where you from?

Its AZ... you have lots of good options. Good moisture to date... great moon phase... pick a couple units and have fun. 27 is the most remote and probably historically has the biggest bulls. But you will likely have a great hunt in any of the above! Keep us posted.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom