Unit #

B

Blacktail_boy

Can any of you Wa hunters tell me what unit Toledo is in? I have tried looking on the internet and I cannot seem to find it. I believe it is in lewis county? but not sure of the exact unit number. There are certain units open for muzzle loaders here in Wa and I am looking into new areas to hunt in because the normal area I hunt is modern and bow only. Thanks..B_B

BB: when I hunted in Wa, I dont remember hunt numbered areas. Toledo is in Lewis county to my knowledge. I assume you know how to get there, I-5 south past Centralia/Chehalis/Napavine and there is a Toledo exit. I would call game and fish for the unit number and then get a topo map. Then give Oregon Fishing Guide an email, he will give you good info. I have an old friend that lives on the Cowlitz who I can call if you want to see about any deer report or where to hunt if OFG cannot help. My friend is not a hunter, but may be able to help. I remember a good older clear cut southeast of the town/bridge that crosses the cowlitz. I never hunted there, but always wanted to. There is alot of farmland on the river bottom that I would think that if a person got up around the timber, worked the edges of the clear cuts and glassed first thing in the morning/evening then still hunted the daytime, you could do very well...

Hey B.B. I think it is located in the Ryderwood GMU. You might want to double check but I am pretty sure.

Wake1>> Is there still a decent little herd of Elk running around there? I haven't been there since 97 but saw some nice Elk feeding right around Ryderwood.

It isn't Ryderwood. The Ryderwood unit is on the west side of I-5. Toledo is actually in the Mossyrock unit which is #505. The Cowlitz River which runs through Toledo is the boundary between Winston (520.) So if you go over the bridge going south out of town, you are in the Winston unit.

Blacktail Boy, thought of one more thing...yes it is Lewis County. About 4 miles south and you'd be in Cowlitz County. Oh, and also both 505 and 520 are open for early muzzleloader deer.

You know I don't hunt there. But I have heard there are still alot of elk in that area. If you can dodge the lead coming from the road hunters.

Bob thanks for correcting me. I did not have a regs book at the time of the posting.

Blacktail boy,
If you need some company when you go scouting down there, let me know. I may be able to help you out a little, at least with the different access routes into the unit, and I do know of one nice looking clearcut, but you have to walk a ways to get to it.

Wmidbrook,
Lots of elk in the Ryderwood unit, and it's no secret. Lots of hunters too! I do believe they are slightly decreasing in number. The WDFW has decreased the number of antlerless permits available, and also archery and muzzleloader seasons are mostly for bulls only in that unit now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom