Unitas West Goat

2pines

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-18 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]First weekend I could hunt and the weather was not great. Stuck in the snow one day, fog one day and broken wheeler. Does anyone know the biologists info or is that something that can be shared? Does anyone have any pointers on hunting these critters after the snow flies?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-18 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]I'd suggest you call the Region DWR office and ask for the biologist's phone number who is over that herd of goats. I believe they will give you that information and they usually seem willing to share what they know.
White snow and goat hunting don't mix well for many reasons, but billies are generally buff colored so they still stick out even in the snow.
I'm guessing we will get some warm up that will melt some of the snow, but my experience is goats don't come down much until snow is pretty deep.
I'm sure if you keep after it you can find success. Hopefully someone who has hunted that unit will chime in with some pointers.
Best of luck

I was on a goats hunt in the west unit about 13 years ago. The goats will be up high, most winter on the wind blown ridge lines all winter. I wouldn't expect them to move because of snow. I think yellowstone trailhead on the south side will get you up to the goats. The first lake or 2 you will find goats up on top (12,000 feet).

I would find some maps and locate a route in. Camp at the lake, hike up to the ridge lines and expect to hunt all day. Make a plan to be able to come off the mountain before it gets to late. Leave the four wheeler home, the goats are all way high, miles from a road. Good luck.

Yes, I finally got it done on the last week of the hunt. Ill have to figure out how to post a few pics.

yeah....no sense showing the guys that offered advice a picture..........

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>yeah....no sense showing the guys that
>offered advice a picture..........
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Ok, im a bit confused but ill tell them not to post the pics. I sent them to someone that was going to post them for me.

C'mon, just show us the pictures and post the story to go with it. We all want to know how it turned out.

Hey, where did you end up shooting your Goat? I will have max points next year for the same Unit and I want to start scouting this summer. Any information will be great!

Thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom