units 61 & 62 quality comparison

stinky

Folks, I've never hunted in either unit. But, I have heard the theory/idea/rumor, many times, that when comparing units 61 & 62, that they are close to being equal. Although one unit is managed for quantity, and one unit is managed for quality, that the two units are pretty much equal in quality. The reason being is that the dividing line between the units is just a dirt road and the elk cross it on a regular basis.

What do you think? Is that nonsense??
John 14:6

WELL THATS JUST ONE UNIT LINE TO ANOTHER UNIT LINE ON THE DIVIDE ROAD..........WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 2.6 MILLION ACRES YOU NEED TO CONSIDER ????? YOU NEED TO BACK UP & RE-THINK YOUR PLAN.............................YD.

In the words of Ace Ventura "Nonsense poopie pants"... If they were that close people would not wait 8+years to hunt one when the other is every other year at the worse case. While there are bulls that cross the "road" you get to share that road with 319 other hunters hoping that a bull comes over that road. While in the quality unit there is only 110 other hunters. Elk are not dump they sense and feel pressure. Does it mean that occasionally a good bull from the quality unit can cross over?

Also the odds of the really big bulls leaving the quality are very rare, but on the other hand you might see decent bulls get tired of getting thier butt kicked start to range. If this was true than basically ever unit that boarders a quality unit would be just as good, because there is only a road or a ridge or a low flowing river that separates all. Can some animals cross? Yes but when you have 3 times as much pressure in one unit than the other, it will not be long for the older animals to have it figured out.

One unit has very limited hunter numbers. The other is the most heavily hunted elk unit in the state. Where would you go if you were an elk or deer?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have hunted both units, and I can absolutely assure you that there is much more than "just a road" dividing the two units.

Before you die.....Take time to live

IMHO, They are not equal.

On the other hand if you have few or no points and want to try 62, plan on getting into the roughest places you can find away from roads and trails.
Some young hunter from Montrose killed a dandy bull in 62 a few years back, but that is an exception. In 62 the elk hunter that wants to be successful should plan on working hard and taking the first legal bull seen.

The short answer to your question is: no they are not equal. That being said, they do both share similarities.

Both units have very good populations of elk and fair populations of deer. Both units share the same genetics and, in theory, share the same ability to grow big bulls. Both units have good habitat, with semi-rugged terrain but both units also have too many roads. These are basically where the similarities end and the stark differences begin.

Unit 61 is a limited entry unit with a limited number of bull hunters. In my opinion Unit 61 is managed more like a general unit than the other limited entry units, specifically those in the NW corner of the state. Unit 61 offers issues many more tags than the other limited units but one can still find lots of big bulls. You can thank the quality habitat and ruggedness for that.

The elk in Unit 61 act vastly different than the elk in Unit 62. Unit 62 elk are prone to be very quiet. Unit 61 elk are very vocal, feed longer in the daylight hours and are much more visible. This can be directly attributed to the reduced hunting pressure.

Both units can and do produce big bulls every year. Elk do cross the Divide Road regularly and many hunters seem to put their hope in elk doing this, so that they can try to catch them crossing. A waste of time IMO. A hunter should have no problem killing an elk every year in Unit 62. They just need to be smarter and hunt harder than the masses. The simple fact is that there are 'masses' of hunters in Unit 62, just like Tx stated.

The last answer to your question all depends on what you consider 'quality'. Is it the same number of equally big bulls in both Units? Unit 61 has more. Is it less competition and pressure to shoot the first bull you see? Unit 61 has less. Is it seeing lots of elk? Both units offer this. Is it a chance to harvest a 6x6 bull? Both units offer this. Is it the chance to see 'classic' elk behavior? Unit 61 offers more of this.

You are going to get many different answers to your question. This is my opinion. Best of luck to you if you get to hunt either unit.

Not equal at all I have hunted both units and there is no comparison. 61 is by far the better unit. But with that said I dont get to hunt there every year so I hunt 62 and have done well.The first leagal bull is usually a shooter.62 is the most hunted unit in the state of colorado. 61 is just a blast to hunt or just to play with the elk. JMHO

They are not equal but also not that far apart. Several 350 bulls from 62 so far this year. I believe the elk in 62 are as vocal as your going to get in an OTC unit. I hunted 61 for muzz elk in 2007 and yes saw many more elk but the quality is a toss up.

I've hunted both once, the buck i took in 62 was better then then the 61 buck..
one of those days in 62 i ran into from what i could count 68 head of bulls all bulls!!
This will be the last i speak of this..
Since every time i do, who ever i tell it to, just rolls their eyes..

:usa:

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom