Units 82, 86, 861 Above Timberline

NMMuley14

New to the forum. Dad got drawn for the early rifle. Looking to see if anyone has any information about this hunt. Due to my schedule I am not going to be able to go in ahead and scout at all. What size deer can one expect to see in the unit? What elevation are the bucks hanging out at? And any other information that we should know before going in.

Any help is much appreciated.

I've been hunting Sheep in there. I have seen some good bucks but it was still early august. Bucks seem to be in that 11,000-12,000 ft elevation.

The bucks I have seen are in that 170-180 class but I've seen quite a few of them. I think it's a matter of time before a real good buck shows himself.

The Sangres are rough country, If your Dad is older he might have a hard time getting around in 86/82, I have not spent time in 861. There is a good buck in Rito Alto creek which you can access from the Hermit Peak road on the East side of the range. I've seen him 3 times and he will probably top out in that 185 range.

Some good bucks in Sand Creek too but not as many deer on the east side as on the west.

Lots of country to look over so just get high and hunt.

If you can hike around of horseback and cover ground you will find a good buck. There are lots of trailheads but the basins at the end of those are long and high back in there.

Good luck.

I agree with the suggestion to try to find some horses. The Sangrias are pretty much straight up and down. I've done it a couple of times and if I were to do it again I would want horses. Once you get on top its still steep.

Broomer, don't forget some sheep pics. :)
P9080002.JPG

752752F5-FEDF-41B1-B714-9AA46DEAE206.jpeg
This is the buck I took on that hunt in ‘03. 29” 8x7. The tag there states “above timberline” And that that starts at around 11,000 ft. Has anyone said that country is Steeeep??? They were right. I suggest your Dad follow the others suggestions and come in from the East (unit 86). No roads up the west side. Good luck

Their ? are some access points to trailheads on the west side around Crestone. You can get into the country a little south of where Broomer was talking about. Thats where that horsey pic was taken, and that is probably eureka or venable peak in the background.

A little further south, you can also hike up willow creek to one of the most beautiful settings you will ever see set among the 4 fourteeners that the climbers can knock out in one day. :oops: Stunning place.

I killed mine on the west side (82) but he was 4 miles from and 4000 ft higher than my truck. If I ever go back, it will be the west side, but I wouldn’t go alone ?

Thank you all for the information. Not having any luck with arranging horses this close to the hunt, but oh well. The East is definitely looking like the easier way in. Again thank you for all the responses.

Some years ago I spent seven preference points on that tag. Scouted good bucks in all of the bowls and cirques I visited. An early blizzard hit hard opening weekend with conditions unfit for man or beast. Deer did not return to high altitude that week.

Returned from the Sangre’s last week sheep hunting again. Unfortunately I never killed my sheep but I did have my chances just didn’t make it happen.
I was in North Colony creek the last 2 days of season and found 3 big bucks. One was as I was side hilling it at 13,000’ down Mt Colony or colony baldy. When I looked up in a boulder pile and this buck was looking at me. He has trash that the poc doesn’t really show. I took this free hand with my phone.

8F6D0B1A-61B4-4D60-B3FE-894F42EB8266.jpeg

8686ACC3-2C5A-47E3-9331-35C1B990DAD4.jpeg

With Westcliffe getting 14 inches of snow this week, I am wondering what the accumulation is above timberline which is 4000' higher than Westcliffe?

Problem was the quakie trees falling into the trails. Spent 1/2 day sawing and chopping to get the mules up the trail. Finally set camp lower than planned.

The storm days before the hunt dumped 2-3 feet of snow in the high-country. The snow was melting very quickly, and was clearing fast. However the bucks got pushed lower. Saw several does and groundhogs out above timberline, but no bucks at all. Spoke with several other hunters and all seemed to be seeing the same thing. All in all very physically tuff hunt, but it was a great experience and a week away from town/work.

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG

Thanks for sharing the pix. That storm had to be a game changer for that season. Sounds like you made the best of an unusual situation.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom