Units

MEANTTOBBUCK

My daughter and son in law would like some help in applying for a good unit for mule deer and antelope. What would you recommend. Thanks for any help.

Hope they have a bunch of preference points.
They could be Res with a ton of points! But in reality, probably only have a few points and NR, might even be Canadian residents lol. Heck, not even sure if they’re wanting to apply for this season.

They could be Res with a ton of points! But in reality, probably only have a few points and NR, might even be Canadian residents lol. Heck, not even sure if they’re wanting to apply for this season.
To answer your questions: they are residents, no preference points since they are rookie hunters, they are wanting to apply this season and they are not that interested in big demand units more meat hunters to get started.

My daughter and son in law would like some help in applying for a good unit for mule deer and antelope. What would you recommend. Thanks for any help.
I should have explained a little more. They are residents. They do not have preference points and are not looking for monsters. they would just like a fun hunt with chance to get some meat.

Go for just one hunt this year. , I would say go to Nebraska , Muley or WT tags tags across the counter in most areas . For antelope build up a point a make that for next hunt in Wyoming another year

Where would be the best areas to do the research?
The CPW has a ton of information, publications and data to point one in the right direction for a good meat hunt. Look at the regional guides which are quite good. They talk about hunting pressure, harvest statistics and other good info to at least get a few basic areas picked out. When I started hunting I spent a ton of time on the website picking through data and then scribbling all over maps for public land, access, topography etc. These days we have GoHunt and other virtual scouting tools but I don’t pay for them because most if not all the data is on the CPW Website. Look at the harvest statistics, number of hunters and hunter days too. Good luck and then once you pick an area then the real work begins. Scout! And hunt!

From the research I’ve been doing lately you might want to check out 3/301 or 11/211
There are quite a few units they can draw with 0 points as residents, but most will have significant pressure. If they had help as first time hunters, I think they should be able to find a meat buck. How far from home do they want to travel? 18 is not that far from Denver and they should draw 2nd season with 0.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. My son in law has a friend that hunts and he helped him with the unit selection. We will see if they draw. Thanks so much. I live in AZ and my hunt experience in Colorado was back in 77 and 78.

I should have explained a little more. They are residents. They do not have preference points and are not looking for monsters. they would just like a fun hunt with chance to get some meat.
What unit do they live in? I'd start there and work my way out. Good bino's and a map or app like onx goes a long way. Nothing better than boots on the ground. Heck, they're way ahead of the game as residents.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom