Unwanted reloads ???

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Every once in a while I’ll just up and do a good deed for someone , mostly to make myself feel better about something bad I’ve done ! Well I loaded up 200 rounds of 270’s for a friend and he doesn’t want them ! Mad because he didn’t draw a tag , said ahhh I think I’ve got plenty. Brand new Winchester brass , Winchester primers , half with Berger classic hunters , other half Barnes LRX. I ran all the brass through the sizing die , tumbler , and hand dipped and weighed every drop of powder so I’ve got some time into them ! What should I do with them ? Pull them apart and try to sell some components or what ? I really don’t have any desire to go buy a 270.

Sell them for a very reasonable price, after describing the process like above and the exact load data so the person can research some manuals. Some people are terrified of reloads, some people just don't care. It would be a good deal for someone!

I would have a hard time using reloads from someone I don’t know or personally had a hand in making. It’s just a mental thing for me as I’m sure you know what you’re doing. I would pull the bullets and separate from there. Give it a few weeks. Your friend may wise up after he’s had time to think about it. Another thing you can do is plan a trip to the range with him and bring them along. He will see how nice it is to have 200 rounds. I’ve been there a few times. Not with ammo but I’ve given guns to a few friends and noticed it’s been 10 years since they’ve shot them and some have never shot them.

I run everything through my tumbler , I’m extremely picky. Every round I load shines better than new , I guess I kinda take pride in doing a little extra. My father polished his brass with brasso by hand , every single one of them ! I had a great teacher.

“New” brass doesn’t shine half this good !
60D2057B-5DBB-428E-9264-DACC9CB81AF4.jpeg

Freakin' beautiful!

I always size and tumble new brass also along with about 3-4 other brass-prep steps. Does it help? Heck ya, it makes me feel better. haha

Crappy deal that your bud backed out on the deal.
"my word is my bond" doesn't seem to apply much nowadays.

Legally I don't believe you can sell reloaded ammo so only sell the components which so happens are already assembled, wink, wink.

Zeke

I'm new to reloading, but have already picked up some habits that are showing my pickiness too. I will actually tumble my fired brass for an hour or so, clean the walnut dust off them, decap them (not size them), tumble them again for 3 hours, then start my case prep and sizing. I personally want my cases as clean as possible before I run them through the sizing die and I prefer not to decap when I size the cases.

If you don't have a .270 then go buy one or pull them apart for the components. It is against the law to reload and sell ammunition without a manufacturers license from the ATF but it isn't like you would get caught unless you were doing it as a business or your ammo kaboomed on someone. You won't find many experienced shooters that will shoot someone else's reloads unless it is from someone they know and trust as a safe and experienced loader.

I would think your buddy would change his mind once he has time to think it over and realizes there is always a hunting season next year. ?

You have to be real careful. There are cases where two people were just trying to have fun and their partners gun explodes all over their face.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom