Upcoming Draw recommendation

AkBenjo

Hello, I am looking for a New Mexico guide that offers some kind of guide package for the minimum to get into outfitter pool (2 days) and am hoping to hear recommendations. I used an outfitter last year and it worked great but have not been able to reach them to confirm its an option for the 2020 draw.

Looking forward to everyones recommendation.

Ben

Roadrunner, even as I inquire I would love to see the end of the Outfitter pool. That being said, while its there Im all for spending a little money to up my draw odds (better than spending thousands on preferance points in states like Colorado for 25 years). My luck with outfitters has not been good, so ideally I wouldn't want one at all but sadly this is the only option.

Ben

Resident and nonresidents alike are using the system to gain an advantage. Guide gets money and basically doesn't have to much of anything. EASY MONEY!

+1 for Kiowa. Wyoming and Colorado seems to be a bust right now. New Mexico manages something like 10 bucks per 100 does. I've never been but it sounds like we may be venturing there next year in the outfitter pool. Not a whole lot different than buying a land owner voucher in other states. Still kind of shitty I'll admit it but it's becoming a high dollar sport.

Kiowa went WAY up on their 2 day hunt cost this year.

Check 505 outfitters, they are still reasonable.

Not sure what you mean by way up. I raised the 1x1 hunts and my costs for more than one hunter have not changed in 5 years. The difference between me and most outfitters, is that I am licensed on all National Forests and am on 5 BLM districts so you can apply anywhere in the state and I can cover you. There are not many outfitters that can do that for the non resident, wanting to apply in the Gila, the Sacramentos or on the Carson with one application. Kiowa Hunting

Oso/Kiowa's multiple permits are valuable b/c (for example) my top three choices for elk hunts are in Santa Fe NF, Carson NF, and Gila NF. Last I checked there was no way to designate a different Outfitter for first, second, and third choice hunts.

I don’t blame outfitters for charging for using their outfitter number and the 2 day hunt required . A guy draws a hunt through the outfitter that’s a hunt the outfitter could have drawn for a full pay hunter.

Yeah i agree should be changed to a 5 day paid for hunt with guide. In essence guides that do this are taking money out of their own pocket.

Wow. $850/day is reasonable for somebody to take a couple of guys hunting for two days? And to think, a bunch of us would do it for free!

You misread. He's 1400 solo or 850 ea for 2 or 800 ea for 3, that's not a per day price. I look at it kinda like buying a landowner tag. On one hunt I'm putting in on I can go NR and have 8% odds or I can pay slightly more with my buddy if we draw and we have greater than 40% odds. So I get a deer tag for 1250 and 2 days help. It aint' cheap but based on what buying a unit wide landowner voucher costs, it makes a lot more sense.

JFWRC is 1500 solo, 900 each for 2, 800 each for 3.

Kiowa (from thier website) 2200 solo, 2000 each 2-3 or more, 1800 each for 4+.

So yes, they have licenses in more places but the competition is cheaper for a very similar service, and they are similarly priced. I realize the state changed the requirements for the outfitters so that you have to do more with those now, but I don't think someone putting in for that is expecting very high quality "guiding" services. Most disclaimers say this is just to use the number and we will show up to do the bare minumum required by law.

Self guided hunters just want the increased draw odds and will go the cheapest route to do that, it makes very little sense to pay significantly more for the same bargain basement bare minimum service.

System is dumb, end the outfiiter pool. Good guides will stay in business.

Mr. DoeNob, you have either misread my web site or missed a point. My rates for two days guided 1x1 is $1600 and 2x1 is $1200 each. This is with nothing furnished but the guide.

The price that you quoted, $2200 solo, $2000 each 2-3 people or $1800 for four or more hunters. This price includes a camp, lodging, all food, snacks, drinks,, two day guides, a man in camp to help the hunters move around and assistance in getting the elk out. There are two different options.

I also take exception to the statement "expecting very high quality "guiding" services. I can give you the one family, father and son that muzzleloader hunted last year and killed two bulls while guided the first day of their hunt or I can give you the name of the guy that killed the 356 bull on the second day of his $1600 hunt after wounding a 340 bull the first day. I have a lot of these situations as my guys go out to kill elk.

Also lastly I purposely choose to do these hunts along with fully guided hunts, as I have a lot of guides that are working people. I may not make as much money, as a fully guided hunt, but I choose to provide employment to guides that have full time jobs and can get off for two days at a time. These guides are great and they want to harvest bulls in those two days, more bulls harvested the bigger the tips, and I pay an incentive pay for every bull that is brought into camp. I want those hunters to have a great hunt, even if it is two days long. Kiowa Hunting

Wow. $850/day is reasonable for somebody to take a couple of guys hunting for two days? And to think, a bunch of us would do it for free.

You misread. He's 1400 solo or 850 ea for 2 or 800 ea for 3, that's not a per day price.

No, I got it right, we're just saying the same thing differently. If a buddy and I book with him we will each pay $850 for two days. Therefore, the outfitter is charging/getting $850 per day to take a couple of guys hunting. And to think, a bunch of us would do it for free.

For a non-res hunter to be able to contract with one outfitter that covers almost the whole state for every species and has over a 30 year track record to boot, Kiowa's prices are more than fair. Just my 2 cents.....

I would also recommend 505 Outfitters. Pete and crew are awesome and they cover the entire state. My family and I have had great success with them. Last year I drew Muzzleloader ibex and looking forward to this year!

FB77FB81-107D-41A3-B1E6-55A6432DF489.jpeg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom