UPDATE RE: CONVENTION PERMIT DISCUSSIONS

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
Over the last few weeks, several of you have inquired regarding the status of the discussions between the DWR, SFW, MDF and UWC regarding the Convention Permits. I have been very busy with work, family and, of course, hunting. Therefore, I have not had a chance to provide an update until now. Please forgive the lengthy post but I prefer to provide as much information as possible so that the public will better understand what has taken place. At the outset, please note that these are my own personal comments and recollections. I do not speak on behalf of the UWC or any of the other groups involved. In fact, I would welcome any additional input that the groups might have on the issues.

As you recall, at the Wildlife Board Meeting in August, the Board stated that it would not modify the terms of the existing Convention Permit Contract or impose any additional requirements until the current contract expires. In the interim, however, the Board invited the DWR to meet with the groups and discuss the concerns raised by the UWC and the general public to see if any of those concerns could be addressed through voluntary changes to the Convention Permit Contract.

Jim Karpowitz, the former Director of the DWR, took the lead in these discussions. First, Mr. Karpowitz met with each of the three groups separately. Tye Boulter, President of the UWC, invited me to join him when he met with Mr. Karpowitz. As most of you know, I do not hold a leadership position in the UWC. In fact, I was not even a member at the time I began working with the UWC to address these problems. However, Tye invited me to participate given my prior involvement. Mr. Karpowitz invited us to his office on August 21, 2012. During that meeting, we discussed the general public?s concerns regarding the lack of transparency and accountability relating to the Convention Permits. Given the recent decision from the Wildlife Board, we focused our discussions on potential compromises that the two groups involved in the Expo might voluntarily make in an effort to address the concerns of the public. From my point of view, this discussion was quite helpful and I appreciate Mr. Karpowitz for facilitating it. At the conclusion of our meeting, Mr. Karpowitz informed us that he would also be meeting separately with MDF and SFW, and then he would like to schedule a meeting with all three groups.

On October 3, 2012, we were invited back to the DWR?s offices for a joint meeting with Mr. Karpowitz and the leadership from MDF and SFW. Miles Moretti and Eric Tycksen represented MDF, and Byron Bateman and Ryan Foutz represented SFW. During that meeting, Mr. Karpowitz updated us on his discussions with the three separate groups and told us that he believed there was some room for compromise. However, he reminded us that any concessions would have to be voluntary until the contract comes back up for renewal?at which point everything would be on the table. In an effort to address the UWC?s concerns, the groups discussed the following four points:

1. The Funds from the $5 application fees for the Convention Permits should be segregated in a separate bank account similar to how the funds from Conservation Permits are currently handled.

2. Given the two express purposes for the Convention Permits (generating revenue to fund wildlife conservation activities and attracting a regional or national wildlife convention to Utah), the conservation groups should be allowed to retain some portion of the application fees to help pay for the costs of the drawing and the Expo.

3. The remainder of the application fees should be spent on approved conservation projects that benefit wildlife and sportsmen.

4. All projects funded with Convention Permit monies must have prior written approval from the director of the DWR?similar to the requirement that currently exists with regard to Conservation Permit projects.

A number of other issues and concerns were addressed but the groups ultimately focused on these four points as a potential compromise until the Convention Permit Contract comes back up for renewal and review. As you can imagine, the real sticking point was with point #2 ? what portion of the $5 application fees would be retained by the groups. Mr. Karpowitz proposed that the groups hosting the Expo be permitted to retain the same amount that the Nevada contractor charges the DWR for the regular draw (currently $3.12 per application). The conservation groups argued that they should be entitled to retain more than that given that they are hosting the Expo which greatly benefits wildlife, sportsmen and the DWR. We argued that the vast majority of the $5 application fees should be spent on actual conservation projects and the groups should only be permitted to retain a small portion to help offset the costs of the drawing. We noted that MDF and SFW have other sources of revenue at the Expo that could be used to offset other costs associated with the Expo generally.

After discussing these issues for nearly two hours, we ran out of time before we were able to reach an agreement on this issue. At that point, Mr. Karpowitz excused UWC (and me) and met separately with MDF and SFW. We knew all along that he would be meeting with them separately because they are parties to the Convention Permit contract, and any changes to that contract would only be made on a voluntary basis. At the time we left, we had not reached an agreement as to the amount that conservation groups would be permitted to retain from the $5 application fees. However, we agreed that those four points, if finalized and mutually agreed upon, would generally address our concerns until the Convention Permit Contract comes up for renewal.

It is my understanding that some time subsequent to our meeting, MDF and SFW eventually agreed to the allocation that Mr. Karpowitz proposed?allowing the conservation groups to retain an amount equivalent to that which the DWR pays its regular drawing contractor to cover the costs associated with the general drawing (currently $3.12 per application). As I mentioned before, we were not involved in that decision because neither the UWC nor me are parties to that contract. I have heard that the DWR prepared an amended Convention Permit Contract that incorporates the four points outlined above, with the allocation in point #2 being tied to what the DWR pays the Nevada entity for conducting the regular draw. I also understand that the amended contract also requires the groups to provide an annual report for the Convention Permits, which they voluntarily offered to do during the August Board Meeting. I have not seen a copy of the amended contract but look forward to reviewing it in the near future.

At the November 1st Wildlife Board Meeting, Mr. Karpowitz read a letter to the Board summarizing the discussions that had taken place and the agreement that was ultimately reached with MDF and SFW. I have included a copy of that letter below:

Karp1-1.jpg

Karp2-1.jpg

While I agree with the most of Mr. Karpowitz?s letter, it incorrectly implies that we (UWC and me) agreed to the allocation of the $5 application fees that was ultimately agreed to by MDF and SFW. At the time we left the October 3rd meeting, there was no agreement as to the amount that would be retained by the groups. Moreover, we were not involved in any of the subsequent discussions or in the process to amend of the existing contract. In fact, we did not even know that had occurred until sometime after the November 1st Board Meeting when we heard about the letter read by Mr. Karpowitz. Had we known about the amendment, we would have likely attended the Board Meeting to thank the DWR and the conservation groups for making these voluntary concessions and to clarify that we did not agree to the exact allocation agreed to by the DWR, MDF and SFW.

In an effort to clarify this issue, Tye Boulter of the UWC sent the following letter to the DWR and the Wildlife Board.

Tye1.jpg

In his letter, Mr. Boulter thanks the DWR and the conservation groups for making these voluntary changes and acknowledges that this is a step in the right direction to create more transparency and openness. However, he clarifies that ?though a step in the right direction,? the voluntary changes ?still leave questions regarding fund distribution that we intend to address at a later date.?

I agree entirely with Tye Boulter. I am grateful that the DWR, MDF and SFW were willing to sit down and discuss these issues. I have been fairly critical of each of these groups over the last few years but I am more willing to recognize them when they do something right. I want to personally thank each of these groups and the individuals involved. Most importantly, I would like to thank each of you who got involved in the process by educating yourself, sending emails, making phone calls and attending the Wildlife Board Meeting. If it weren't for you, this issue would have continued to be ignored.

In summary, I understand that given the decision from the Wildlife Board, the conservation groups did not have to make any changes regarding the Convention Permits. They could have simply rode out the existing contract and ignored the complaints and concerns of the general public (even though that would have resulted in additional public outcry and scrutiny). The concessions they agreed to make to the existing contract were entirely voluntary. However, I look forward to further discussion regarding the allocation of the $5 application fees when the Convention Permit Rule and Contract come up for renewal. I still believe that the vast majority of that money should be put on the ground for actual projects. To quote Tye Boulter, we did not get everything we were asking for but this is a step in the right direction.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Thank you for the update. Definite progress, and like most things in life, you never get everything you want. It will be interesting and informative to see how these changes are implemented in the coming year.
Bill

So they get about 60% of each tag fee to do with what they want? Does this money even go back into the state giving the tags or can they use it anywhere?

Hawkeye,
Thanks for your concerns and help in trying to resolve this conflict. It looks like all groups involved are wanting to work things out. It is a great expo. It helps promote hunting and fishing. It helps provide a better future for hunting and wildlife projects. It helps shine a light on the importance of hunting, fishing, and wildlife activities. Hopefully, we won't have to hear about expo complaining for a few years.

Thanks to Hawkeye and others who have been involved in bringing this to the forefront! Even though things are still not where a lot of us think they should be, it's a good start and was done voluntarily. Let's hope that things keep going in a positive direction under the leadership of the new DWR Director.

What is UWC proposal on the allocation of the $5, because I don't see it in your post?

Thanks Mr Hawkeye for the update.

A point of clarification, for some, is the fact that the expo PERMIT fee is paid directly to the State. The expo never sees the PERMIT money. The $5 APPLICATION fee, and it's use/split, is the point addressed by Mr Hawkeye.

Zeke

G14-

The UWC originally proposed a 90/10 split -- similar to the allocation in the Conservation Permit Program.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Hawkeye, thanks for working this HUGE issue.

Now, can you summarize in a few bullet points :)
I do not have the energy to read this whole thing.

Thank you Hawkeye. Good work and thank you all who sent your messages, spoke out loud, shared in fruitful discussion in all "forums" and places, and to those who worked behind the scenes on this and continue the work as we progress toward 2016.

Out of curiosity, prior to this amendment, how much did they retain of the $5.00 fee..?? The original post doesn't say...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

100%. Previously, there where no conditions as to how monies were to be used.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Thanks Hawkeye for your efforts and the update!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]Thanks again to Hawkeye and the rest who have worked to improve this for all of us.

Watching this all go down, let me make one comment here. Much of the movement on this front and the progress we've been seeing with this issue is because of pressure from "the internet" (ie, monstermuleys) and because of the public showing that they actually care. All of these groups are feeling the heat and hearing our voices. It's taken years, but it's working.

While a good portion of what gets posted on this site and others just results in hot air, when we talk about the problems and how we're feeling about the issues, these guys hear it. They read these boards just like we do. They hear about the concerns we have and they know that we aren't happy about it, and eventually, it effects their bottom line. Hence, they feel pressure to change.

Going forward we need to continue to push for transparency in everything as it relates to public assets. We need to continue to attend the meetings and voice our opinions. People like Jason and Ty have done a lot in showing us how to stand behind what we say. Words are important, and the arguments here on this website aren't useless, but as they say, actions speak louder.

Going forward we need to do a better job of uniting behind these proposals and make sure this crap doesn't slip through the cracks again. That means attending the RACs (I'm as guilty as anyone) and board meetings, and when we can't attend, reading through the minutes of what transpired. Several of the items that really got this ball rolling in the right direction came from people like Hawkeye reading through the notes and minutes of previous years' meetings, trying to figure out how we got here in the first place. We should all be doing the same if we can't be there in person.

Again, thanks to those who are making things happen. We're not there yet, but we're moving in the right direction. Progress.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

Looking through the expo permits it appears that some of the expo permits have been done away with when the rule does not allow them. Such as a number of OIL permits. Thanks to UWC and Hawkeye as well as the UDWR/SFW/MDF for adressing this issue.

Thankyou very much Hawkeye for the update. I think many of the people on this website, and your cause, needed that.

As for the debate that continues within the meetings between UWC, SFW, and MDF I still see one major problem. Obviously how much of the $5 fee should go back into state wildlife programs is still in question. As long as there is no knowledge of an actual cost breakdown of processing fees for the application then none of the involved parties have a leg to stand on as far as what percentage of those fees are kicked back to the state. For many, people on the UWC side, what the actual processing costs is of little importance as long as They get as big a piece as they can for their approved goals. Who cares if it damages the expo or the SFW plan for conservation. For another crowd, SFW followers, the actual cost of processing will become extremely important. Whether they need all of five dollars to cover their processing fees or whether its getting blown on hookers and drugs. One thing you need to think about is if these negotiations and meetings are costing them legal fees that changes the actual processing costs for these $5 charges, whether any of us like it or not. If they know that year after year they have to pay people to negotiate on their behalf for percentages of these collected monies then that is an overhead cost that we all will have to recognize in the processing fee, and will mean less money for wildlife or whatever any of these orgs want it for. As a result of no one knowing the true cost of processing, the fact that anyone is arguing for a percentage of that money, at this point of the game, is silly. Just like in business you have to start by knowing the true numbers before you start taking money out of the business, or you run a very high risk of the business collapsing. I know many here do not care whether the business collapses or not, and in fact that could make some parties extremely happy, but I guarantee that would be bad for all parties envolved.

>Thankyou very much Hawkeye for the
>update. I think many
>of the people on this
>website, and your cause, needed
>that.
>
>As for the debate that continues
>within the meetings between UWC,
>SFW, and MDF I still
>see one major problem.
>Obviously how much of the
>$5 fee should go back
>into state wildlife programs is
>still in question. As
>long as there is no
>knowledge of an actual cost
>breakdown of processing fees for
>the application then none of
>the involved parties have a
>leg to stand on as
>far as what percentage of
>those fees are kicked back
>to the state. For
>many, people on the UWC
>side, what the actual processing
>costs is of little importance
>as long as They get
>as big a piece as
>they can for their approved
>goals. Who cares if
>it damages the expo or
>the SFW plan for conservation.
> For another crowd, SFW
>followers, the actual cost of
>processing will become extremely important.
> Whether they need all
>of five dollars to cover
>their processing fees or whether
>its getting blown on hookers
>and drugs. One thing
>you need to think about
>is if these negotiations and
>meetings are costing them legal
>fees that changes the actual
>processing costs for these $5
>charges, whether any of us
>like it or not.
>If they know that year
>after year they have to
>pay people to negotiate on
>their behalf for percentages of
>these collected monies then that
>is an overhead cost that
>we all will have to
>recognize in the processing fee,
>and will mean less money
>for wildlife or whatever any
>of these orgs want it
>for. As a result
>of no one knowing the
>true cost of processing, the
>fact that anyone is arguing
>for a percentage of that
>money, at this point of
>the game, is silly.
>Just like in business you
>have to start by knowing
>the true numbers before you
>start taking money out of
>the business, or you run
>a very high risk of
>the business collapsing. I
>know many here do not
>care whether the business collapses
>or not, and in fact
>that could make some parties
>extremely happy, but I guarantee
>that would be bad for
>all parties envolved.

Per the 2012 statement volunteered by MDF who is the primary contract holder, here's the expenses related to the 200 Convention Permits:

Gross Revenue
Application Fees - $1,039,350.00
Utah License Fees - $ 37,023.00

Total Gross Revenue - $1,076,373.00

Expenses Related Only To 200 Tags
Physical Facilities - $ 79,650.00
Advertising - $ 80,039.42
Contract Services - $ 104,696.47
Credit Card Services - $ 35,190.78
License Fees to State of Utah (minus CC fees) $ 36,187.00
Equipment - $ 8,551.51
Temporary Labor - $ 10,457.33
Adminstration - $ 184,800.00
Convention Coordination - $ 35,000.00
Website Maintenance - $ 22,000.00
Volunteer Expenses - $ 17,000.00

Total Expenses - $ 613,572.51

Remaining Funds - $ 462,800.49

FWIW, the Contract Services expense for 2011 was exactly the same amount so I think that's what they actually pay the company that runs the draw. We weren't given the details of most of the other expenses and how they are related ONLY to the 200 tags. Also, since the application fees are $5 each, that would indicate that there were 207,870 applications. And, assuming all the listed expenses are legit, that's $2.95 per app.

Without a better breakdown of a lot of those major expenses they show on the list, I would have to say that the $3.12 per application looks a little shaky. Also, I believe the stance that the UWC has taken on the Expo is favorable and they just want to know where the money for the 200 tags is going. I think from what I hear that most people like the Expo itself and want to see it thrive if the tag situation can be straightened out.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]...expenses related to the 200 Convention Permits:

"Administration - $ 184,800.00"

Add administration to convention coordination and website maintenance (which are almost certainly all in-house) and they are making over $700,000 selling public property.

I wish I could sell public property and keep the money.

That's good work if you can get it.

If it's accuracy which we seek, then to clarify, the expo isn't SELLING public property. The tag fees are paid directly to the UTDWR, NOT the expo groups. It's the APPLICATION fee which is in question NOT public property. (I suspect you guys already knew all this but prefered to use inflammatory language)

Zeke

You're being a little picky there old buddy, as I think you know what we all are talking about, whether we use the word selling or not! It's no wonder that people are upset when they see huge amounts of money being made by a tax exempt operation with no true breakdown of all those amounts being discussed.

The tag fee is minimal in the equation. What MDF/SFW is selling is the right to purchase public property.

You are technically correct that they don't sell the property, but you are talking symantics, they sell the right to purchase public property.

MDF/SFW are issued tags and sell the right to purchase one from the State.

You want to test my argument, Zeke...

Call the DWR and tell them you have $163 and would like to buy a Henry's or Pauns tag. Let me know how that works.

DWR will make $163 selling the tag.

But lets look at the facts... In 2012, 20,721 people applied at the Expo for a Henry's or Pauns tag at $5 each. That means that MDF/SFW pocketed $103,605. Technically they didn't sell the tag. But your argument is clearly bogus. They profited on the sell of public property.

Grizzly

"You want to test my argument, Zeke...

Call the DWR and tell them you have $163 and would like to buy a Henry's or Pauns tag. Let me know how that works.

DWR will make $163 selling the tag.

But lets look at the facts... In 2012, 20,721 people applied at the Expo for a Henry's or Pauns tag at $5 each. That means that MDF/SFW pocketed $103,605. Technically they didn't sell the tag. But your argument is clearly bogus. They profited on the sell of public property.

Grizzly "

So lets get this straight. DWR sells the tag for the same price and gets $163 whether it was purchased over a counter or with a draw, or with and auction????? But your mad because someone has found a way to collect a kick ass finders fee for brokering a better deal??????? Are you a communist? Do you hate capitolism that much? You are actually happier if only the state gets its $163 and no one else gets a dime??????

>"You want to test my argument,
>Zeke...
>
>Call the DWR and tell them
>you have $163 and would
>like to buy a Henry's
>or Pauns tag. Let me
>know how that works.
>
>DWR will make $163 selling the
>tag.
>
>But lets look at the facts...
>In 2012, 20,721 people applied
>at the Expo for a
>Henry's or Pauns tag at
>$5 each. That means that
>MDF/SFW pocketed $103,605. Technically they
>didn't sell the tag. But
>your argument is clearly bogus.
>They profited on the sell
>of public property.
>
>Grizzly "
>
>
>So lets get this straight.
>DWR sells the tag for
>the same price and gets
>$163 whether it was purchased
>over a counter or with
>a draw, or with and
>auction????? But your mad
>because someone has found a
>way to collect a kick
>ass finders fee for brokering
>a better deal??????? Are
>you a communist? Do
>you hate capitolism that much?
> You are actually happier
>if only the state gets
>its $163 and no one
>else gets a dime??????

Tristate, your comment is so ridiculous it doesn't warrant a response. But you clearly are unfamiliar with the definition of communism. Communism is the State holding all property. Communism doesn't allow for a private individual to profit. What we have here is Cronyism.

Please study communism, cronyism, and the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation before making unintelligible and unintelligent remarks.

Also, its not "your mad". Its "you're mad". Your grammar is as solid as your understanding of the corruption being propagated with OUR animals. The right to the "finders fee" belongs to all of us, and needs to be held in trust as such.

Grizzly

"Tristate, your comment is so ridiculous it doesn't warrant a response."

Then why are you typing???

"But you clearly are unfamiliar with the definition of communism. Communism is the State holding all property."

Incorrect.

" Communism doesn't allow for a private individual to profit."

Exactly what you are complaining about. Private groups profiting.

" What we have here is Cronyism."

Maybe so.

"Please study communism, cronyism, and the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation before making unintelligible and unintelligent remarks."

Studied all of it smart ass. I hold a degree in Wildlife and Fisheries sciences. NAM doesn't mean you get to control wildlife like a communist state either.

"Also, its not "your mad". Its "you're mad". Your grammar is as solid as your understanding of the corruption being propagated with OUR animals."

This is an internet forum not a term paper. Therefore I don't split hairs over your inability to use a comma.

" The right to the "finders fee" belongs to all of us, and needs to be held in trust as such."

More commy barf. Maybe you should demand the money from wildlife photographers who profit off of YOUR wildlife.

Grizzly

Tristate,

NAMWC specifically states as Point Number 1 - "Wildlife as Public Trust Resources"

A "public trust" can't, by definition, result in the profit of an individual. All resources must be put back into the wildlife. Thus creating a perpetual resource.

Definition of communism - "a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state."

Communism says nothing about allowing an individual to profit, in fact in communist societies it is most common for cronyism to result in a few people profiting immensely (which is what we have here).

I didn't say "YOUR" wildlife. I clearly said "OUR" wildlife. As a graduate in Fisheries science, you certainly understand the difference in consumptive and non-consumptive use. If photography was consumptive (as hunting is) and required licenses to participate... then I would demand the profits be returned to the People (with a capital P). Not private corporations.

Oh, one more thing. Its "commie", not "commy".

Keep shoveling Tristate.

Your hole is just getting deeper.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]"Keep shoveling Tristate.
Your hole is just getting deeper."

He's real good at that Grizzly. The guy has come up with more BS on these Forums to argue with people in the short time he's been on them than BO has in his first term, LOL! Look out because it will just keep coming like BO winning his second term, so there is no sense trying to debate ANY subject with him.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 05:45PM (MST)[p]>You're being a little picky there
>old buddy, as I think
>you know what we all
>are talking about, whether we
>use the word selling or
>not!

Come on, do you really think that the only people who read these threads are the guys who KNOW what we're talking about?

If it's real accuracy and transparency which we want, why not start by saying exactly what we're discussing instead of giving the impression otherwise.

I was simply trying to provide some facts and there was no argument expressed or implied.

Say what you mean and mean what you say!

Zeke

"Tristate,

NAMWC specifically states as Point Number 1 - "Wildlife as Public Trust Resources"

A "public trust" can't, by definition, result in the profit of an individual."

El torro doodoo. If thats the case then no private company would be able to haul goods on interstates. By the way, you have forgotten like most people here, that the people proffiting from the wildlife are MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TRUST. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you suddenly have more right to wildlife than they do.

" All resources must be put back into the wildlife. Thus creating a perpetual resource."

Really so we need to take back that money that feeds Game warden's families then. Unless you want to consider their kids wildlife.

"Definition of communism - "a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.""

Excellent. You pass your sixth grade social studies exam.

"Communism says nothing about allowing an individual to profit, in fact in communist societies it is most common for cronyism to result in a few people profiting immensely (which is what we have here)."

Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people are profiting off of your wildlife. Just because you can pick one tiny sector of the wildlife industry and examine it does not mean they are the only ones profiting.

"I didn't say "YOUR" wildlife. I clearly said "OUR" wildlife. As a graduate in Fisheries science, you certainly understand the difference in consumptive and non-consumptive use. If photography was consumptive (as hunting is) and required licenses to participate...

Go check. Doing it commercialy does require permits to participate. But I will give you a better example to shoot your arguement to hell. How about those evil furtrappers that are making money on your resource. Every bit of that money should come back to the United Soviet Grizzly Republic with a capitol "G". That belongs to the people. Right???????

"then I would demand the profits be returned to the People (with a capital P). Not private corporations."

Ah yes and now we get to the root of the matter. Class warfare and the disgust you have for people who know how to profit.

"Oh, one more thing. Its "commie", not "commy"."

I'll keep spelling it commy as long as you keep writing in sentence fragments.

"Keep shoveling Tristate.

Your hole is just getting deeper."

Keep buying the propoganda you have been force fed. Maybe your lord Obama will clean all this up for you and yall can reign over "your" communist Utopia forever.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-12 AT 11:41PM (MST)[p]
Per the 2012 statement volunteered by MDF who is the primary contract holder, here's the expenses related to the 200 convention permits:

Gross Revenue Application Fees $1,039,350.00
Utah License Fees - $37,023.00
Total Gross Revenue - $1,076,373.00
Expenses Related Only To 200 Tags
Physical Facilities $79,650.00
Advertising - $80,039.42
Contract Services - $104,696.47
Credit Card Services - $35,190.78
License Fees to State of Utah minus CC fees $36,187.00
Equipment - $8,551.51
Temporary Labor - $10,457.33
Adminstration - $184,800.00
Convention Coordination - $35,000.00
Website Maintenance - $22,000.00
Volunteer Expenses - $17,000.00
Total Expenses - $613,572.51

Remaining Funds - $462,800.49

FWIW, the Contract Services expense for 2011 was exactly the same amount so I think that's what they actually pay the company that runs the draw. We weren't given the details of most of the other expenses and how they are related ONLY to the 200 tags. Also, since the application fees are $5 each, that would indicate that there were 207,870 applications. And, assuming all the listed expenses are legit, that's $2.95 per app.[end quote]

We shouldn't forget that advertising typically comes from their income from booth rentals and vendors, and the venue costs are offset by RAPZ tax monies they've requested annually from Salt Lake City/County for some $80,000 per year over the past several years...
so the math gets more and more mixed as you add in all the "other income" that is brought in that is funnelled through SFH that never is accounted for through the "glass vase" presented by SFW and MDF. If the groups were open and forthcoming about using the public funds for/in the best interest of the public benefit, there would have never been any arguement for this line of questioning.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-12 AT 06:40AM (MST)[p]Geez, the more I hear of the various monies coming in and stuff like you're mentioning, the fuzzier/shadier this whole Expo gets as far as being a benefit to the general public!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom