Updates on NW nevada conditions?

AnnualRye

Hi all, leaving this week for my archery antelope hunt in NW Nevada and was curious what folks are experiencing there in terms of hunting/camping conditions? I'll be near Denio. Called bio last week but didn't get a call back.

How bad are the crickets right now? My dad is a little concerned that they will cause restless nights trying to sleep. He was on my brother's antelope hunt in NV last year and said they were horrible. He slept in the truck the whole trip. I've never dealt with them before so not sure what to expect.

How about antelope numbers and water conditions? Not sure if the drought is going to cause me to rethink my hunt strategy. Hoping to sit a waterhole but perhaps most are dried up?

Any fires in the area the fire map isn't showing? Smoke from Bootleg Fire a concern?

Granted I'll know here in about 3 days but a friendly heads-up would be nice before I get in that country. ?

Feel free to pm as well. Thanks.

I haven't been in that area yet this year but a few weeks ago we stopped outside of McDermitt and the crickets were unreal bad. Creepy POSs. You could not have slept on the ground there. Fortunately we had the RV and were able to avoid them. I tossed out half a cucumber and an avocado rind that evening and by morning everything was gone. Everything.

I will be in 032 fishing this coming weekend.

I haven't been in that area yet this year but a few weeks ago we stopped outside of McDermitt and the crickets were unreal bad. Creepy POSs. You could not have slept on the ground there. Fortunately we had the RV and were able to avoid them. I tossed out half a cucumber and an avocado rind that evening and by morning everything was gone. Everything.

I will be in 032 fishing this coming weekend.
Thanks for the update. I've heard they are unsettling to be around. Definitely won't be sleeping on the ground.

Maybe I'll see you over there this weekend. Best of luck fishing.

If it is smokey, then the animals will be tough to spot. When they don't reflect much light, the colors wash out they blend into the background. I hope you have clear skies.

I haven't heard anything about crickets in that area they're thick here. They are not nocturnal and easy to sleep. I saw a few antelope near Knott Creek.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom