USFS closes some national forests

That is BS! They are taking easy route. This started in CA and you can bet your a$$ I called and shared my feelings and how it would impact me and my family and friends. I also shared the number of the regional supervisor making the call. No problem with partial closures, etc., I think we all understand.

This "unprecedented" language they use is a cop out. Don't let yourself getting effed out of your hunting season. Call them and be heard!

Last edited:
Threatening the same in Route County. Now Rio Blanco County has shared for hunters to take extra cautions and not be dumb and light a fire or the same could happen here. Go without a fire or risk they shut the units down. Sucks...

Sucks but last week alone there were 5 fires in NF that needed to be put out by fire departments because they got away from the hunters. Know the fire restrictions and don't be dumb!! This ain't a BS warning like Covid! It is dry, dry dry...

I'm hoping for snow before 4th season and things being lifted. With no deer pressure since bow season, could be interesting. ??

That is BS! They are taking easy route. This started in CA and you can bet your a$$ I called and shared my feelings and how it would impact me and my family and friends. I also shared the number of the regional supervisor making the call. No problem with partial closures, etc., I think we all understand.

This "unprecedented" language they use is a cop out. Don't let yourself getting effed out of your hunting season. Call them and be heard!
You could not be more wrong. The Troublesome fire blew up 100,000 acres in one day. Towns are in danger because some stupid folks needed a campfire.
Tell the folks in Grand Lake, Granby and Estes Park what BS the closure is.

From the Rio Blanco County Sheriff's Office:

"Fire restrictions in Rio Blanco County
Rio Blanco County private and state lands in Stage 1 fire restrictions.

Campfires - you can NOT have a fire or campfire except within agency-provided fire grates at developed recreation sites. You can use devices using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel.
Wood Burning Stove not allowed without a permit.
To obtain a permit email [email protected] with specifics of location. In order for a permit to be issued wood burning stoves must be fully enclosed with a spark arrestor screen no larger than 1/4".

The Bureau of Land Management in stage 1 fire restrictions.
Campfires - you can NOT have a fire or campfire except within agency-provided fire grates at developed recreation sites. You can use devices using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel.
Wood Burning Stove not allowed without a permit.
To obtain a permit call The Bureau of Land Management White River Field office (970)878-3800. In order for a permit to be issued, wood burning stoves must be fully enclosed with a spark arrestor screen no larger than 1/4".

White River National Forest in stage 1 fire restrictions.
Wood Burning Stove allowed with following rules:
Wood burning stoves must be fully enclosed with a spark arrestor screen no larger than 1/4", allowed in Stage 1 fire restrictions.

Routt National Forest in stage 2 fire restrictions
Fires, campfires, charcoal barbecue, or grills are NOT allowed. You can use portable stoves or lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel.
Wood Burning Stove: Stage 2 does not allow for open flames or a wood burning stove without a permit.
To contact Routt National Forest - phone (970)638-4516"

You could not be more wrong. The Troublesome fire blew up 100,000 acres in one day. Towns are in danger because some stupid folks needed a campfire.
Tell the folks in Grand Lake, Granby and Estes Park what BS the closure is.
Nah, I don't think I am wrong--I'll stick with my opinion. You're entitled to yours. As I clearly said in my original post, I don't think anyone has a problem with partial closures, but the outright, across the board closures are the easy route.

If we had more enforcement maybe we could keep knotheads from building fires. But that kind of ruins the whole peace and quiet thing.

$10,000 tickets, and confiscate everything they own for reparations. That should do it. :)

I’ve had Hunters tell me, my hunting license gives me the ok to have a fire outside ?. CPW wants us to take pictures with info . Tent stoves are ok if you have a 5’ stake .

This just hit to close to our hearts. Just learned that good friends burned to death in Grand Lake Wed. night. What a tragedy ! I loved hunting but they should close all of the Eastern Slope North of I-70 until we get enough moisture to abate this drought

Help me understand. What is a partial closure when forests are blowing up and burning 100,000 acres in a day, 6,000 acres an hour?

Help me understand. What is a partial closure when forests are blowing up and burning 100,000 acres in a day, 6,000 acres an hour?
That's a question you already know the answer to; don't get all silly because a member lost close friends, which is tragic as hell.

I'll indulge you, just this time. Here's an example of partial closure. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD830778 Read it, look at the map, specific: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd828476.pdf They could have easily close the San Juan.

Again, I think you know exactly what I'm talking about, but it seems post-tragedy, you feel the need to bloviate. Whatever.

And I'll extend my condolences again to littlebull and the victims' families.

This just hit to close to our hearts. Just learned that good friends burned to death in Grand Lake Wed. night. What a tragedy ! I loved hunting but they should close all of the Eastern Slope North of I-70 until we get enough moisture to abate this drought

Were they the folks that took shelter in the cement bunker LB?

I am supposed to have my badge this weekend to go in and assess the damage on the Communication infrastructure.
We’ll see.

100000 + acre fire, evacs, structures lost, life likely lost. I’m not sure if i would call it a cop out.

100000 + acre fire, evacs, structures lost, life likely lost. I’m not sure if i would call it a cop out.
Perspective Chuck. Maybe you didn't make it all the way through the thread before you posted, but don't look at a post that is by now out of date when you decide to comment. It's a wildfire.

All fires get's bigger UNTIL they're out, which means things burn until they don't. Hell, next week, my post my look REALLY out of touch with higher numbers in all aspects or maybe it's under control.

But, don't be selective with your scorn. Read post #18 and if that still doesn't clear things up for you on my position, well hell--can't help you then.

The fires got even worse last night with 75 mph gusts and 45 mph sustained winds. It is now only one mile from Estes Park. (Per Fox 31 News) Firefighters will try to save the town today. Hopefully heavy snow tonight will help knock the fires down and alleviate the fire conditions in northern Colorado. So Bad

There are times when a hunter ought to get out of the woods, or at least make sure you have an escape route planned in case. Don't get boxed in on a dead end road. I've been there and done that a lot in California. When those hot dry winds blow it can explode. It's common sense to head for the pavement in times like that. And obviously some areas should be closed near an active fire. But to close the entire National Forest because of what might happen is wrong in my opinion.

Perspective Chuck. Maybe you didn't make it all the way through the thread before you posted, but don't look at a post that is by now out of date when you decide to comment. It's a wildfire.

All fires get's bigger UNTIL they're out, which means things burn until they don't. Hell, next week, my post my look REALLY out of touch with higher numbers in all aspects or maybe it's under control.

But, don't be selective with your scorn. Read post #18 and if that still doesn't clear things up for you on my position, well hell--can't help you then.
I get it brother, I’m just saying it wasn’t an off the cuff reaction. They had run models on potential fire spread in 12-24-48 hour runs, I was in the room. The decision was an easy one. And yes after today they should go to a partial closure and will discuss it tomorrow morning.

If we keep taking things away from everyone based on what a few idiots do, Wellllllllllll........
We won’t be doing **** before long. Fires suck. They are all around me. But it’s time for us to be harder on the minority that jeopardize all our safeties and freedoms. We are being led and drowned by the dumbest and weakest of our society right now. It’s sad to watch and impossible for me to accept. All the best to those who are effected by fires, I have many friends who have had their lives changed by these fires.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom