Using a patch over powder with power belt bullet

Turkey4

Can you use the patch over powder using the power belt bullet we have to use the all lead ones here in Idaho and we have trouble getting them to group with the clean barrel you're right on the second shot God knows where you're at so I was thinking about trying to pass over powder but I'm not sure you can do that no we're

Don’t think that would help. Every muzzleloader I have shoots different on a clean barrel. So you have 2 choices. Do a thorough cleaning between each shot at the range so you are always shooting on a “clean” barrel. So you are essentially sighting in with a clean barrel.

Or foul the barrel and then load for the hunt. I always fouled the barrel. With everything except BH 209, I pour down about 20 grains the barrel (no bullet). Point the gun at the sky and pop a cap. Then swab and load.

With Blackhorn you have to actually load a bullet and shoot.

Some people have had luck by popping about 3 caps with no powder in the gun. That seems to foul it enough for some guns. Then swab and load

The main reason to use a felt or lubed wad under the bullet is to help protect the base of the all-lead conical. Black powder burns at about 800-825 degrees, while pure lead melts at 620. The base can actually be melted/vaporized a little, and deposit lead on your barrel during the shot. I have never found them to affect my accuracy very much.

The power belt base will essentially do the same thing, and the properly fitted and expanded flare will scrape the residue off the inside of the barrel when loading, and firing a fouling load may not make much difference either.

Sounds like your gun doesn't like the bullet sizing , more than anything, and you would be better off with a REAL (rifling engraved at loading) bullet, or a properly paper-patched one to fit your gun. Trying for extreme accuracy out of muzzleloaders is a trial and error process. Good luck!!

Regardless of bullet, my MZ guns have all shoot a few inches different at 100 yards with a clean barrel

But I always put a wad under a pure lead bullet for the reasons mentioned. I actually think a wad might make things worse under a powerbelt

Don’t think that would help. Every muzzleloader I have shoots different on a clean barrel. So you have 2 choices. Do a thorough cleaning between each shot at the range so you are always shooting on a “clean” barrel. So you are essentially sighting in with a clean barrel.

Or foul the barrel and then load for the hunt. I always fouled the barrel. With everything except BH 209, I pour down about 20 grains the barrel (no bullet). Point the gun at the sky and pop a cap. Then swab and load.

With Blackhorn you have to actually load a bullet and shoot.

Some people have had luck by popping about 3 caps with no powder in the gun. That seems to foul it enough for some guns. Then swab and load
Well put!!!

I have done it both ways, but currently the answer to your question is: Yes I do put a wad under a lead conical bullet. It protects the rear of the bullet, and for the most part helps with accuracy. Only time I have ever used a patch is with a a round ball.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom