"USO and a Solution."

fatrooster

Long Time Member
To make a long story short, USO sued on the grounds that Arizona was discriminating against nonresidents because they were not being given a fair chance or even chance as compared with residents to draw tags. Why didn't they complain about having to pay more for an out of state tag or hunting liscense than a resident has to pay? And what is the deal on a price increase for tags? Like many people said in another post the increase is only going to change the class of hunters who can afford to put in for tags and discriminates against the poor working man. I understand that some of you feel (as I feel) that it is only fair that a nonresident should pay more for a tag. But that will not solve the problem with uso. USO wants rich people to get the tags. Rich people are more apt to use a guide. All that Arizona is doing is putting the squeeze on the poor man. Therefore putting a precedence on increasing fees whenever a problem arises. Oh yeah, and Az is gonna make more money also.
In my opinion I feel that the use of Guides and Outfitters is discriminatory against the poor man. I myself have considered using a guide or outfitter in the past and still am thinking about using one if I ever get an Elk tag in Nevada. But lets think about it. We complain about Taulman being driven by the prospect of making more money (which I agree) rather than truley wanting to give nonresidents a fair chance in obtaining tags. But we ourselves are guilty of selling our game and allowing profits to be made by the selling of game. We've allowed outfitters and guides to lead people to the taking of game for profits forever. We've allowed the sale of antlers to the highest bidder for a long time. This precedence was set before we were ever born so we've never thought much of it. But what George Taulman is doing is just trying to cut himself a bigger piece of the pie. I would like to see outfitting and guiding stopped. Where is Georgie gonna be if he cannot run his business at all. And better yet, where is our game going to be. Many guides are out there all year long watching the game and finding all of thier hiding spots. When a client comes along they drive or walk them up to thier quarry and point it out and say shoot him. I realize that not all hunts are carried out this way and that many guides and outfitters actually take a client on a real hunt. But many times a client can choose which deer or elk he wants from a video before he ever goes out into the field. Again, I ask where would our game be if every one had to go out and find his or her owne animal. Our population of trophies and game in general would be that much better off. Everybody would have the same EQUAL chance at getting out there and finding thier owne game. I personally would love to be a guide doing what I love to do and helping people fullfill thier dream of harvesting a trophy animal. I would love to have a certain number of tags allotted to me as a guide or landowner so that I could sell them to the public at my owne designated price. But then I would be selling what I love. The wildlife. I have friends who are guides and outfitters. I have friends who are landowners. Sometimes I wish I could be doing what they are doing just so I could be around hunting all of the time. But what is a trophy if you did not find it yourself? I'm sure a few people will get mad at me for voicing my opinion and I'm sure there are other opinions on what is fair and not fair and I will be glad to hear them. But what in the hell does "Fair Chase" really mean?
I would like to see Nevada lead the way in banning guides and outfitters. George Taulman did something out of the ordinary that we thought would never happen. He shocked us all when he won. Let Nevada do something to shock ole George. Nevada already is the only state which has legalized brothels and it leads the U.S. in the gambling industry. Let Nevada be the first to stop the selling of game and game parts. But if Arizona wants to do it first then thats allright with me.
I realize that exceptions should be made for the handicapped and others. And I like the idea of the govenors tags to raise money for wildlife.
So I've said what I wanted to say for awhile. Lets hear your comments. fatrooster.
P.S. I know that many people make a living by guiding and that many people make some nice money selling antlers. But if we really cared about our wildlife then we would not be making a profit from our game. We are all guilty by partaking in these practices or by just allowing it to happen. fatrooster.

You may go by the name of Fatrooster, but you sound like a true sportsman that has a love for hunting and the game over personal money profit.

RELH

RIGHT ON, Fatrooster! I couldn't agree more about the no guide/outfitter idea. I haven't used one, but I won't knock anyone who has...that is if they didn't choose their trophy from a video while sipping cognac at the lodge fireplace. That just aint hunting!

I would love to have given Taulman a good ol Arizona welcome!}>

fatrooster,

Thank you for your very thoughtful and heart-felt comments. It is very hard to argue with any of your points.

Doing away with guides and outfitters would sure solve the problem of USO. But I think the courts ruling would still stand, as far as equal access for nonresidents.

Being a nonresident just about everywhere I hunt (yea, I'm from California) let me say that I am totally against what USO is doing and the way the court has ruled. It's my belief that the wildlife belongs to the States and residents should have priority. I mean that's why we have States. 50 seperate of them.

Judging by the few guided hunts I've been on, the vast majority of clients are not rich people at all. Most are like myself and have to save up for a long time to be able to hire a guide. Most rich people I know are too tight to hire a guide. They are more likley to buy a motorhome and tow a trailer full of four wheelers. The good news is very few of them are willing to put in the hard work that it takes to take a real trophy. Also a lot of the rich ones seek out the private ranches where the tag is included.

You know the really ironic thing about this whole mess is, you hunters from the really desirable states have unknowingly created this monster. By doing things right and really upping the quality of the deer and elk heads, it's really created a high demand. That's sad in a way. You should reap the benefits of your hard work and dedication.

It will be interesting. Thanks,
Steve

I am an avid do it yourselfer myself. I probablly will never hire an outfitter/guide unless I head to the North. In my opinion, I think that most Nevada outfitters do not side with USO, and are concerned about our herds as well. Maybe Taulman was nieve at first, and was unaware of our backlash. But considering his recent and not so recent experiences. I believe he is a total ass for trying keeping resident and nonres. tags on the same draw. Nevada hunters/NDOW have made a commintment in the past 20 years, to maybe only draw a tag every 3 years, work hard and have a descent opportunity at a trophy animal. And now George wants to open our state up to the untold millions of California, which probablly make 3-5 times on the dollar of rural Nevadans? This area is still the West. What kind of backlash/treatment do nonres. hunters expect from a community like Elko, Winnemucca, Ely? Extra Tires?

Steve-Why would a court ruling based on commerce and how tag allocation impacts a business have any standing if all commerce was banned? I am for placing a well thought out proposition on our next AZ ballot to eliminate all commercial benefit from big game animals. I have used guides before and had the toughest hunts of my life for elk and bear with guys that were tough as leather so no judgement there. I just figure it is a matter of leverage. If we get an initiative going the outfitter community might just figure Taulman has killed the business for a lot of good people and start policing their own. We also need to do something to prevent the landowners, outfitters and politicians from selling game tags.

Profit off wildlife. Where would you stop? Butchers, taxidermists, or using animal parts for knife handles, wildlife art, ect.. Buisnesses that sell hunting supplies? Gas stations, motels, that lodge hunters? The way local communities benifit off hunting has always been a positive. Not saying I know the solution, but I can not see how shuting guides out will help the big picture.

I think fatrooster has hit the nail right on the head. The clients of Taulman, and others like him, will not be effected by an increase in tag fees of a couple thousand dollars. If a hunt cost $5,000 before, it just go up to $7,000. The people that will no longer be able to afford the tags are the Joe Lunchbucket hunters that are struggling to spend $2,000 on a hunt, including the tag. You take those hunters out of the mix, (and I think that is the majority) and Taulman will have a better chance at getting tags for his clients, which is exactly what he wants. You have to give credit to Taulman. He is trying to grow his business by whatever means possible and he's playing the AZ and NV legislators like a violin. He's hoping they jack the tag prices sky high so only his clients will be able to apply.
We have entered a new era in big game hunting. We have to decide now if we are going to change the way the guiding business is conducted or we will see the end of hunting for the average guy. I think a good middle road would be to regulate the maximum fee a guide can charge for his services. That way a guide that really wants to provide a service to his client for a modest fee and get to spend more time doing what he enjoys can stiil be in the business. The big money outfitters like Taulman would go away. You could still have guides, keep the hunting tradition alive, and put the big oufitters that are in it for maximum dollars out of business. Of course, the states would not see an increase in revenues.
It will be interesting to see whose interests are served by the regulators.

OK maybe if enough of us get together to hammer out the details we have a ballot proposition that outlaws profiting from the "taking" of big game. I still think until we get the voters to pass state law we will get buggered by greedy outfitters, landowners, politicians and stupid judges.

I have never used an outfitter on any of my out of state hunts, but I can not see doing away with outfitters. I have met some very damn good hunters in other states, that work at outfitting or guiding to supplement their income. I do not like the idea of taking income from them or their families.
I would like to see all states do a better job of regulating their outfitters, maybe even to limiting them to conducting their business in the state where they reside.
As for the tag fee hikes stopping NR from applying, do not bet on it. As others have stated, the very rich and corporations will have better odds and will come like flys on bait.
While hunting around Saratoga, WY. I observed one to two fights a day of private Leer jets landing at the airport bringing in NR hunters that was connected with big corporations.
One ranch, where we got free trespass five years ago, could not allow us to hunt because the owner had to sell exclusive hunting rights to help pay his property taxes. His own family could not hunt the ranch under the contract. The Union Pacific railroad and the Governor of a nearby state had bought the exclusive hunting rights. I can not blame him for trying to keep his ranch afloat.
In the same area, large outfitters had bought up the hunting rights from local ranchers and blocked off any trespassing to a mountain that was BLM land and noted for it's outstanding elk hunting. This screws all hunters, resident and NR from hunting federal land while the outfitter has excess to it for his high paying clients.
I believe the commerce of selling animal parts has to stop in order to get around the USO lawsuit, then the citizens in the state need to force better regulation of outfitters and stop this pratice of them and private landowners blocking off excess to federal and state owned property in order to open up more ground for all hunters, resident and non resident.

RELH

i've hated uso for years. a long time before this lawyer crap started. uso has never given the common man a decent value for their dollar. stuff 8 guys in a 4 man tent. 4 hunters for every guide and the guides are mostly illegal aliens and high school drop outs who've never even shot an elk and don't have a clue how to take care of one after it's on the ground. crappy food cooked by a crappy cook. no horses. junky pickups. just a rotten set up all around. then he screws his guides outta money left and right. i like to see folks hunt. all folks. we need folks to hunt in order to give us a base for support. i hate to see good hard workin' guys from wherever they're from get screwed by this outfit. guys save for years for the hunt of a lifetime and get cornholed by uso and their "we don't care if you ever come back" attitude. they just want your money once. the only repeat business they get is the rich and famous guys. this guy is a gangster and needs stopped. one faction that has been really quiet during all this is the other big name guides. has anyone heard of any of them saying which side they're on? seems to me that maybe there might be quite a bit of support for the guy, behind the scenes. because they know if he succeeds it will mean more in their pockets too. if these suits stand, uso isn't the only benefactor. all outfitters will benefit. sure seems quiet in the outfitter ranks to me right now. don't hear near as much we once did from these guys. wonder if there is some behind the scenes money helping uso out? anyone know?

A law needs to be passed that limits the size of a guide service. Make it mandatory for the outfitter to accompany all hunters. No subguides. This should minimize lousy guide service and the impact large outfitters like USO have. Also, the little guy can stay in business. Take the walmart approach out of the guiding industry. This will hurt Georgie big time. How many clients can one guy handle in a season. Limit it to a 2-1, so one guide doesn't have 20 hunters in the field. Maybe also limit them to guiding in their own state of residence.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-04 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]I have a simply way to reduce non-res in all states and not discriminate against rich and poor hunters.

Make instate hunter education mandatory before the application process, it would seperate dedicated hunters from oppurtunist and allow hunters who truly want to hunt a particular state the oppurtunity with minimal monetary expense.

Just a thought anyways

Fatrooster I really like your idea.

FRED

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom