Ut. 4 day workweek-revisited.

A

Antlers_Ink

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-08 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]Did you hear that Governor Huntsman's brilliant 4 day work week is illegal as far as Utah's constitution is concerned. Article 16, Section 6 says: "Eight hours shall constitute a day's work on all works or undertakings carried on or aided by the state, county or municipal governments." You would think that the Gov. and his staff would have done their homework and found out whether this idea would fly or not before mandating it to the governmental employees. I believe the Gov. thought his idea was so innovative and special that he didn't even do a basic check on the legality of his decision. Probably just a matter of time before someone files a lawsuit telling the Gov. to shove his 4 day plan. This could end up costing the State some money to tie this up in the courts because this is plowing new ground in Utah law. I think that Governor Huntsman should recieve the "Boner" of the year award.

Yeah I'm cryin' about it because I think it's newsworthy to a few of us from Utah. d13r don't know where your from but maybe your from California where your used to having a dink-wad for a Gov. Our Gov. is getting almost as liberal as ol' Arnold is. Just kind of think it makes Huntsman look like an idiot for not thinking things through.

For about 4-5 years before I retired back in 2001, I was working what was called a 9/80 schedule. At first I hated it but then I got use to it and was glad I stopped fighting with the others in shop and the boss over it.

Start off with 9 hours for the first 4 day = 36 hours. On Friday ONLY 8 hours. Total for 1st week 44 hours. Sat & Sun off. Come back on Monday thru Thursday 9 hours which is again 36. Add the 44 + 36= 80 HOURS TOTAL in two weeks. That second week you have a three days off FRIDAY, SATURDAY & SUNDAY.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-08 AT 02:08AM (MST)[p]I know cops who work 3-12's with an 8 ever other week

Yea, but a 3-12 can be brutal if you end up with a case at the end of shift. You get to where all you do is work, eat & sleep and sometimes skip the eating to get to bed.
Most depts. have done away with 3-12s and gone to 4-10 or 5-8 shifts.
RELH

I know someone in law enforcement (wink wink) that works 12's, 4 days on 4 days off 4 days on 5 days off and my or rather his department loves it, only problem is OT, we have ot work more then 171 hours in a 28 days to get paid OT, there are a couple of excepsion i.e. work over the 12 hours a day, get called in, special duties.

I heard them talking about it being illegal on KSL today. A state lawyer said they are aware of the law and in a sub note it says that is for road workers only, and they are not afraid of any lawsuits.

I love a 4 day week. Been running my own business for years now and all my employees love it. I actually gave them a choice on the matter and hands down 4 days won out.

Who doesn't want a 3 day weekend every week. I see how it will bug a few folks who work 4 day weeks and do their state business on fridays, but hey now they work until 6 you got the time.

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

I took my employees to a 4/10 week about a month ago. I still work 5 days so it adds to my hours but it saves them 20% off their commuting costs which is a lot to them. I am going to start closing fridays soon so I can have 3 day weekends to fish and hunt. Makes sense to me.

It never ceases to amaze me that when someone comes up with a good idea, and one that helps people in these times, SOMEBODY will have a problem with it.

I think that some people will just find things to oppose, no matter how good an idea might be.

Your entitled to your opinion elknuts. I don't oppose things just to oppose them.I just don't agree with the way the Gov. came to his decision and didn't have some public meetings on the issue, whether it be a good idea or not. I do feel sorry for you living in that rathole state of California you dwell in. We may have some Utards to deal with here but you have one of the sorriest excusses for a State Government I've ever seen.

Then why are you whining and groaning if your state goverment is so far ahead of the one in CA. Count your blessings and find something worthwhile to whine about.

RELH

The sawmill I work at used to have two 3 1/2 day shifts. I would work 10 hrs on Sun., Mon., and Tue. and 5 hours on Wed. Then the other shift would work 5 hours Wed. afternoon and 10 hours on Thu., Fri., and Sat. You only worked 35 hrs. a week but the 6 hrs. overtime made up the difference, almost.

I loved it! Especially during deer season. Head up Wed. after work, and hunt that evening and Thursday and Friday. Head home about the time the "week-end warriors" showed up.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom