Ut trap

hornkiller

Long Time Member
Screenshot_20230307_152323_Instagram.jpg

To all those opposed to setting up a sting, do you also hate deer decoys in your spot light?
I suppose stings have some value as a deterrent for bad crimes. I'm just surprised that Utah feels shed hunting violations are so serious that they expend resources doing this. So- not "opposed" in that sense- just shocked at the priority.

To all those opposed to setting up a sting, do you also hate deer decoys in your spot light?
I guess you can say it’s a sting, I see hypocrisy. But at the end of the day they’re a government agency and that’s what most government agencies are good at these days.
Looks like the hiking conditions must not be too bad though. Especially if this guy had the ambition to pack an antler up the mountain to leave

Yeah….and they put microchips in them some places. I’m glad to see a government employee who isn’t chained to a desk :ROFLMAO:

Many years ago in late March my soon to be wife and I were driving across the Blacktail Plateau in Yellowstone National Park. This antler was just off the highway. I knew right away it was a planted antler, stopped and my better half snapped this picture and I tossed the antler behind a tree in the ditch. We parked a half mile down the road and hiked the rest of the day. Found plenty of antlers, but all we took was pictures. I may have done some dumb things in my youth, but not that dumb. When I got back home my dad called, and asked what I was doing in the park. Rangers had called him. They got the phone number from the luggage tag you could see through the back window of my girlfriend's car. We were likely watched all day long.
CCI06192015_0003.jpg

The "plant" doesn't bother me but I thought the whole reason for the temporary shed ban was to keep people out of the back country and yet here a warden is doing exactly what the ban was to protect against.
Too weird!

I have a friend who has been taking antlers out of Yellowstone for 30 years. He’s put a couple of his kids through college doing it. Recently he stopped doing it because there was too much competition in the spots he was hitting.

I have a friend who has been taking antlers out of Yellowstone for 30 years. He’s put a couple of his kids through college doing it. Recently he stopped doing it because there was too much competition in the spots he was hitting.
So what's your point!

At the very least DWR could drop a 185-190. Get them serious bone collectors..

Gawd freys, you want to up your quota on convictions DWR just put a 200” elk shed on a bare side hill and wait in Utah. You will have plenty of citations. So you can be a hero in a meeting and hand clapping going around the room…

DWR if you’re hiking and planting sheds on a side hill, either drop them bitc*** in with a 5,000 ft drone or stay the F off the winter range.

Was in Morgan County last week. Saw hundreds of deer and elk. Also saw a late 90s Ford truck back off the side of the highway, let out a kid in shorts and a T-shirt who then jumped a fence and started running up the hillside...

I drove closer and they saw me watching them... kid turned around and ran downhill like he was about to fill his shorts... ??

Up on the hillside were a bunch of deer running sidehill away from him. I didn't see an obvious antler on the ground, but I'm not sure it could have been anything else he was going after. Also, yes, he had a flatty on. ?

Was in Morgan County last week. Saw hundreds of deer and elk. Also saw a late 90s Ford truck back off the side of the highway, let out a kid in shorts and a T-shirt who then jumped a fence and started running up the hillside...

I drove closer and they saw me watching them... kid turned around and ran downhill like he was about to fill his shorts... ??

Up on the hillside were a bunch of deer running sidehill away from him. I didn't see an obvious antler on the ground, but I'm not sure it could have been anything else he was going after. Also, yes, he had a flatty on. ?

Browning, so what are you getting at? With your post. Just asking?

Thinking about training for shed season this next week. Gonna pack up 100 lbs of elk bone at the house, head up on the south facing slopes by the elk where the hiking is easier and throw the loaded elk bone pack on for a romp around the hills. Need to get these chicken legs back in shape for May 1st.

Thinking about training for shed season this next week. Gonna pack up 100 lbs of elk bone at the house, head up on the south facing slopes by the elk where the hiking is easier and throw the loaded elk bone pack on for a romp around the hills. Need to get these chicken legs back in shape for May 1st.

You're doing it wrong then.

First thing is you gotta have the ears tucked. Second, gaiters. Even in the desert, gaiters man Next, 2 tripods. Absolutely imperative that you get multiple camera angles of each horn. Next, hydration. I suggest 5 gallons of mtn ops, wilderness athlete, etc. Obviously you need an iphone, go pro, and 3 other cams, minimum. Leave room on your pack, for a jacket. Shed hunting is done in cooler weather, but you can't show those gains in your youth large t-shirt(I mean layer system), if your wearing the jacket, but, you have to have pics of the sitka, on the pack, for the gram. Now, we need to discuss chargers. 9 minimum. Your followers desperately need to see, every bush you glass up that looks like a horn, every bird that flies by, every piece of gear, so power is a must. Maybe include a solar panel.

Now, last, and by far, most important. Glass. I suggest a monoscope, and 15x binos, and of course 50x175 spotter(with phone scope of course). Yeah, your not going to actually use it, but it looks bad azz, on the tripod, with you behind it, on those pics for the gram.

Good luck brother??

(Wait for it)

You missed a few hoss..they probably go through a few batteries showing what they had for breakfast and exactly how they cooked it then a few minutes of brushing their teeth hygiene is very important you know then they'll have to film every inch of the way from the time they leave their driveway or camp till they get to where they are going..God I got a headache already lol

First thing is you gotta have the ears tucked. Second, gaiters. Even in the desert, gaiters man Next, 2 tripods. Absolutely imperative that you get multiple camera angles of each horn. Next, hydration. I suggest 5 gallons of mtn ops, wilderness athlete, etc. Obviously you need an iphone, go pro, and 3 other cams, minimum. Leave room on your pack, for a jacket. Shed hunting is done in cooler weather, but you can't show those gains in your youth large t-shirt(I mean layer system), if your wearing the jacket, but, you have to have pics of the sitka, on the pack, for the gram. Now, we need to discuss chargers. 9 minimum. Your followers desperately need to see, every bush you glass up that looks like a horn, every bird that flies by, every piece of gear, so power is a must. Maybe include a solar panel.

Now, last, and by far, most important. Glass. I suggest a monoscope, and 15x binos, and of course 50x175 spotter(with phone scope of course). Yeah, your not going to actually use it, but it looks bad azz, on the tripod, with you behind it, on those pics for the gram.

Good luck brother??

(Wait for it)
Man I’m just trying to train just to get myself in and out of the hills. That’s a whole new level of effort Hoss! I ain’t got the bandwidth for all that training!

Do you think DNR will question me and my pack full of antlers from home before May 1st? Just trying to get a realistic training program going.

Last edited:
You missed a few hoss..they probably go through a few batteries showing what they had for breakfast and exactly how they cooked it then a few minutes of brushing their teeth hygiene is very important you know then they'll have to film every inch of the way from the time they leave their driveway or camp till they get to where they are going..God I got a headache already lol
Never understood why they only film the shed and the ground. There’s so much more of their surroundings that the viewer could enjoy if they would just point the camera a little higher… it would also justify carrying all that battery weight to get the IG shots.?

Man I’m just trying to train just to get myself in and out of the hills. That’s a whole new level of effort Hoss! I ain’t got the bandwidth for all that training!

Do you think DNR will question me and my pack full of antlers from home before May 1st? Just trying to get a realistic training program going.
Shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Good luck brother??

(Wait for it)
And to think I used to look for antlers all day in blue jeans and a cotton t-shirt. All I packed was a gallon plus of water in used syrup jugs and a pair of 10x Bushnells. Wonder I ever found an antler.

I ain’t scared to show the background:

Damn, another YouTube superstar. Next you know he will be poaching those Alaska moose antlers. ??
So when you toss the antler back on the ground, is that for your friend to find it and be the next YouTube star? Or do you mark it for next year? ??
Nice Bino purse!! Weren’t you the one that did not like them???
Hell of a find. Now you just need to find him during season with his next large set of antlers attached to his skull.

Wonder how many of these Fish and Game trucks have been apple air tagged by "shed hunters" to figure out areas they have been in of are in. Not to give anyone ideas.

Damn, another YouTube superstar. Next you know he will be poaching those Alaska moose antlers. ??
So when you toss the antler back on the ground, is that for your friend to find it and be the next YouTube star? Or do you mark it for next year? ??
Nice Bino purse!! Weren’t you the one that did not like them???
Hell of a find. Now you just need to find him during season with his next large set of antlers attached to his skull.
Hahahaha. We leave 99% of them. But we do pack some out:

97EA38FD-47B9-4DA6-BDC4-96BC6A64194C.jpeg

Careful @SS! next thing you know Martin Gagnovich or is Chagnovich, will be in the Cache scooping up all your paddles…
Oh man funny you mention that. One his buddies with “ ? “ reached out to me wanting to do an AK antler trip. They offered $$$ and I said instead of dollars I’ll take you for free if you don’t post it on YouTube, FB or Instagram. He didn’t understand. I guess his passion for the outdoors is only if there’s monetary gain from it…

Oh man funny you mention that. One his buddies with “ ? “ reached out to me wanting to do an AK antler trip. They offered $$$ and I said instead of dollars I’ll take you for free if you don’t post it on YouTube, FB or Instagram. He didn’t understand. I guess his passion for the outdoors is only if there’s monetary gain from it…
? that doesn’t surprise me…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom